Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] chinstrap vs. neck pillow
chinstrap vs. neck pillow
I am a mouth breather. I had to use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed for the CPAP to be effective. Summer made that a very 'smothery' feeling and my time tolerating the mask got shorter and shorter. I felt claustrophobic.

A respiratory therapist at Kaiser suggested a neck pillow, the kind used on airplane trips, worn backwards, but I cannot tolerate anything pressing on my neck in the front.

So I made a Donut pillow, very lightweight, from a stocking stuffed with spun polyfiber (quilt batting), and covered it with a soft cloth for comfort next to my face. I tied the ends of the fabric so i could try out the pillow.

It is working so well I haven't even bothered to sew it together yet to finalize it. The tubing goes through the middle of the donut, helping it stay in place (and not tug to the side) and the pillow goes in my chest when I'm lying supine, as i do when I'm using the CPAP.

I start the night with my chin on the pillow which keeps my jaw in a closed position, press my tongue to the back of my upper teeth, and seldom have to reposition the pillow. Having adequate air at night has helped decrease my mouth breathing. When i sleep without the CPAP, I'm a mouth breather again.

How to clear the nasal passages due to sinus problems or mild deviated septum problems was a long process, but i ended up having good success with neti pot and therapeutic grade essential oils .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: chinstrap vs. neck pillow
Ahhh, another web-footed one. Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the pillow-tip..........
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: chinstrap vs. neck pillow
Hi breathebliss,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thats a great tip, thank you for sharing it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 267 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 455 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.