Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] exhaling thorugh pillows
exhaling thorugh pillows
I just switched from nasal mask to nasal pillows.  When I breath out on the nasal pillows, it is like I have to really push the air through.  (If that makes and sense)  It is hard to exhale through the nasal pillows.  How can I adjust the setting so that I can exhale through the pillows easier?  I am fighting a head/chest cold at this time so I am not sleeping well at this time, but I also know that there is an adjustment on the machine to make it easier to exhale.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To all of the people that have been helping me through this process, I thank you very very much.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: exhaling thorugh pillows
Are you using EPR (exhale pressure relief)? EPR can be set in the comfort settings.

You will eventually get used to the pressure and it won't seem like anything, but EPR can help. Before making a specific recommendation, it would help to know your average and upper range of actual pressure that is a problem. You can get that information from the therapy data on-screen. It would of course be better if you downloaded #Sleepyhead.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sleepyhead but I don't know how to download info to here from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not used pillows in a long time, but I recall being very sensitive to the angle I had them in my nose.  At a slightly incorrect angle, I had the same experience as you.  A small adjustment back and forth and exhaling was easy.  Also make sure you have them in the right way, people have put them on backwards before!
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know what pillows you're using, but I found that I had a swollen face (using ResMed Airfit P10 for her and distilled water in the humidifier) when I woke up, and put extra effort into short little exhales even during the day with no mask on after I started APAP.   

I now wash (using unscented baby shampoo and soaking for 15 minutes) the pillows and short tubing daily and am careful to scrub the exhale vents with a small toothbrush (like the manufacturers manual advised and I missed) in the am so all of it can dry all day.  This has made a huge difference for me.  The irritating plastic smell has decreased significantly and the facial swelling is usually way down.  (There is a long thread regarding these vents in this forum: search AirFit P10 vent blocked.)

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Where can I find this setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 01:32 PM)confusedcpap Wrote: Where can I find this setting?

https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed-...%20her.pdf

Manual settings are almost identical.

Strange, I thought you said you had an Airsense10, but if you don't, check you have changed your machine over from Nasal mask to Nasal pillows.
If it has this setting.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have an airsense 10 and I did change setting over to pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 01:32 PM)confusedcpap Wrote: Where can I find this setting?

If your are asking about EPR, it is in the comfort settings.  The best way to access is to push the control knob and home button at the same time, then press the control knob to select settings.  You can scroll down to Comfort and find EPR.  You should set it to ON, FULL TIME, and select 1 or 2.  If you set your minimum pressure higher, you can possibly increase EPR. It would help to see your charts to help you optimize minimum pressure (which is very low) to work with EPR and your usual (median) therapeutic pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have adjusted setting from nasal mask to nasal pillow, I have tried settings 1-3 on EPR, and I am still having a hard time exhaling through nasal pillows.  I have even cleaned the "exhale vents" and still the same problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 488 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 682 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.