Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] full mask mayhem
full mask mayhem
Hello

I have the full face mask that was fit by a sleep therapist.
It is the Air Fit F10 medium cushion.

So far the only problem I have is with the mask.

I am a side sleeper.

I take off my mask every night within the first few hours for the fact that it wakes me from sleep.

I have tried positioning the mask and trying different tightening strengths on the straps.

Not only does air shoot out of the top of the mask into my eyes. The cushion flaps against my face, like I am making farting noises with my hands.

The sleep therapist, though a trained professional, could not offer any solid advice to this issue other than a generic "it just takes time getting use to the equipment".

So. I thought I would see what you all ( the real experts) had to say.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: full mask mayhem
Read some of the other post about mask. Tell your supplier to try to fit another mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
The respiratory therapist at my DME fit me with a large Wisp mask. When I didn't like how it felt after a few nights I pulled out the fit guide for the mask, I was a perfect fit for the S/M. I've been happy with the Wisp ever since. So, I suggest double checking the size mask you have with a fit guide. You might have the correct size but you might not...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mouthbreathersidesleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the most challenging part of this therapy, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones, 'till you find what works for you.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Simplus frm.
Post Reply Post Reply
opinions are welcome. lol

Anyone know what causes the cushion on my mask to flap against my skin?
Surely I'm not the only person here that has experienced this phenomenon...
Post Reply Post Reply
MouthBreatherSideSleeper
Like you, I am a mouth breather and sleep on my side. It took me a while, with the help of the members of this forum, to figure out how to avoid the air from leaking into my eyes and around my nose and mouth. Try placing your face, with the mask on, at the very edge of your pillow, so that the mask itself is not resting on the pillow, but instead is hanging unsupported off the edge of the pillow.

The other thing that helped me was to switch to a Fisher & Paykel Simplus Full Face mask. I found it was light enough that it didn't need to have the pillow supporting it (I had previously tried the Phillips Respironics ComfortGel Blue full face mask which was much bulkier).

As Trish6hundred said, finding the right mask that works for you is the biggest challenge in this therapy. You may have to try several (or more) masks until you find the one that works for you. Eventually you will find one that works. Good luck.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
Another mouth breather/side sleeper here. I am having success with the Amara View. This is a full face mask but quite an uncovential one, as it does not cover the nose but seals under it. Of course not everyone is the same but this is my mask of choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a small pillow (40 by 80 cm) turning it around 90° helped me a lot - my mask is now hanging free and I don't have to overstretch my neck.

as for the F10. if you turn the upper band more towards your neck behind the head the leak near the eyes should vanish. If that happens to me I tighten the chinstrap and than pull the upper strap back until I have no more leaks.

The F10 has a pretty narrow sweetspot where it seals optimally. I personally find that it's easiest if you put on the mask, than pull it a little bit from your face (but it should still touch your face completely) and than turn on your machine. So the cushion can inflate completely and seal the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another vote for the F&P Simplus. What? We weren't voting? Oh....

Facial oils can contribute to the face farts. Wash your face with soap and warm water before bed. Avoid soap with skin softeners etc in them. Also wash the pad daily with soap and warm water to remove accumulated oils. I often find that mid-way through the night that I can't get a good seal anymore. Wiping my face and the mask pad off with a tissue usually fixed that. If not, sigh, I wash my face again. Yes, I have oily skin.

Face farts might also be a sign of the mash having gotten pushed out of position by the pillow, a higher pressure if you have an auto machine, or the straps not being quite tight enough. If you have an auto machine, there is a setting on your machine that allows you to adjust the mask at the highest pressure before starting therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 449 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,453 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 679 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 257 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 725 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.