Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] high AirSense 10 initial pressure?
high AirSense 10 initial pressure?
My DME provider set up an AirSense 10 Auto with a Swift FX mask, and the starting pressure was surprisingly high -- in comparison with my ResMed S9 Auto (also with a Swift FX mask) which I've had good luck with for five years.

My S9 starts gently and slowly ramps up over a period of 20-30 minutes.

The provider insisted that he configured the AirSense 10 properly, including the ramp settings, and that the high pressure was a characteristic of that model.

I declined the machine, as my nostrils were visibly inflating starting with the first breath.

ResMed says there shouldn't be such a noticeable difference between the S9 and AirSense 10 -- and that my DME had probably set it up improperly.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is the AirSense 10 as gentle as the S9?

I'd rather have the newer model, as ResMed says the S9 is now discontinued.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: high AirSense 10 initial pressure?
The ramp period is a comfort setting which you can adjust yourself (not sure how to do it on an A10 but there is probably a fairly obvious menu setting).

If I remember correctly user access to the ramp can be disabled by the provider. If they have disabled it, you need to go into the clinician menu to reset it. You can obtain the clinician manual via the link at the top of this page.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the airsense10 there is a ramp time 0-45 minutes and a ramp starting pressure, default is 4, which most people find a little on the low side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear apnmhe,

I would encourage you to learn how to tell what the minimum and maximum treatment pressure settings in your S9 machine are, along with the ramp starting pressure and ramp time.

That way, if a DME sets up a new machine for you and the settings feel wrong, you can say "show me the settings" and you can verify for yourself whether the settings in the new machine are the same as the ones in your current machine.

(08-01-2016, 04:53 PM)apnmhe Wrote: My DME provider set up an AirSense 10 Auto with a Swift FX mask, and the starting pressure was surprisingly high -- in comparison with my ResMed S9 Auto (also with a Swift FX mask) which I've had good luck with for five years.

My S9 starts gently and slowly ramps up over a period of 20-30 minutes.

The provider insisted that he configured the AirSense 10 properly, including the ramp settings, and that the high pressure was a characteristic of that model.

I declined the machine, as my nostrils were visibly inflating starting with the first breath.

ResMed says there shouldn't be such a noticeable difference between the S9 and AirSense 10 -- and that my DME had probably set it up improperly.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is the AirSense 10 as gentle as the S9?

I'd rather have the newer model, as ResMed says the S9 is now discontinued.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks DeepBreathing, PoolQ, and green wings for your replies.

I'm familiar with my pressures (4-17), and on how to enter and use the clinician's menus (on my S9).

When I tried the AirSense 10 at the provider's office, we did review the pressures and settings, and offhand they looked right. But as I'm not familiar with the A10 menus, there could easily have been a setting that would have fixed the problem.

To be clear, the difference I experienced between my S9 and the A10 was dramatic, and uncomfortable.

The DME insisted that the machine was setup correctly, and that the high initial pressure was a characteristic of the A10. That seemed unlikely, as I couldn't imagine anyone, particularly a prior S9 user, being satisfied with an A10.

That's why I'm hoping there are A10 owners who will report if their A10 starts gently (and possibly in comparison with a previously owned S9).

Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I got my A10 the min and max were set to 5 and 16, and the ramp start was 4. It was certainly gentle.

You could suggest to the DME that they use a manometer to check the pressures, both of your S9 and the new A10. Or you can make a manometer yourself by fastening a ruler to your hose and measuring how deep the end is when the bubbles stop. Something 10 or 12 inches deep will be enough for an A- or C-PAP machine. It's possible the calibration of either machine may be off.

The claim for 'high initial pressure' is BS, so I would try to find another DME, if possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
So are you or aren't you using the Ramp function on your S9? Because you can't have the minimum treatment pressure set at 4 cm and be using Ramp.

If your minimum treatment pressure is set at 4 cm, and you were having an AirSense 10 AutoSet machine demonstrated in Auto mode starting off at 4 cm, the machine very well may have sensed something in your breathing that it thought was an apnea event and increased the pressure in response.

(08-02-2016, 01:04 PM)apnmhe Wrote: I'm familiar with my pressures (4-17), and on how to enter and use the clinician's menus (on my S9).

Post Reply Post Reply
My S9's clinician's menu settings:

Mode=AutoSet
Max Ramp=35min
Min/Max pressure=4.0-17.0 cmH20
Start Pressure=4.0 cmH20
EPR=Full Time
EPR Level=2
SmartStart=On

On the user menu, Ramp=20min

My S9 starts gently, almost imperceptibly.

I never used the A10 at the DME's office for more than a few seconds, as the starting pressure was so high (before the machine had a chance to analyze my breathing). We tried it a few times.

(08-02-2016, 04:13 PM)green wings Wrote: So are you or aren't you using the Ramp function on your S9? Because you can't have the minimum treatment pressure set at 4 cm and be using Ramp.

If your minimum treatment pressure is set at 4 cm, and you were having an AirSense 10 AutoSet machine demonstrated in Auto mode starting off at 4 cm, the machine very well may have sensed something in your breathing that it thought was an apnea event and increased the pressure in response.

(08-02-2016, 01:04 PM)apnmhe Wrote: I'm familiar with my pressures (4-17), and on how to enter and use the clinician's menus (on my S9).

Post Reply Post Reply
Are you turning on the A10 before placing the Mask on your face ? If so the A10 will need to go to max volume output to reach 4cmH2O. If you then place the mask on your face it will have a sudden increase in pressure before it can reset.

I use the auto start setting on my A10. The A10 is off untill I place the mask on my face and inhale. The pressure will slowly come up to my settings as I fasten the mask in place.

I started this to help get a better fit of my mask before reaching my settings. If I started the A10 before placing the mask on the seals around my mask would blow out and be hard to get back in place.

Hope this helps you. I love my A10 Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure if it will make any difference, but check in the menu to ensure the correct mask type is selected.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,414 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.