Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] i am in desperate need of help
RE: i am in desperate need of help
Although there is some good information from previous posts, one thing to consider is the type of machine you own. Firstly, it would be useful to understand that an automatic machine will automatically adjust on a breath to breath basis. In fact, it really does not start working until you are asleep. If the machine is pushing a lot of pressure initially, it sounds as though your base pressure was set to high. Typically, auto adjusting machines should be left to their full range which is 4-20. In this, the machine can react to its full potential. You also should check the ramp as it sounds like this could be an issue as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2012, 04:27 PM)thecpapshop Wrote: Typically, auto adjusting machines should be left to their full range which is 4-20. In this, the machine can react to its full potential.
APAP is not like some racing car can take off 100 mph in sec
some would feel suffocating at such low pressure even manufactures warn re-breathing might occur at low pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2012, 04:27 PM)thecpapshop Wrote: Although there is some good information from previous posts, one thing to consider is the type of machine you own. Firstly, it would be useful to understand that an automatic machine will automatically adjust on a breath to breath basis. In fact, it really does not start working until you are asleep. If the machine is pushing a lot of pressure initially, it sounds as though your base pressure was set to high. Typically, auto adjusting machines should be left to their full range which is 4-20. In this, the machine can react to its full potential. You also should check the ramp as it sounds like this could be an issue as well.

Most CPAP machines have no idea whether you're asleep or not. The machine will attempt to do its auto adjustment even before you fall asleep. Some F&P machines do try to tell if you're awake.

The 4-20 idea sounds good, but many people feel they're suffocating if you do this. If you start having apneas, the machine may take a while to catch up. I think my PRS1 machine only adjusts up about 1 cm per minute, so you could be suffering unnecessarily for a while if you set it too low.

I find that I feel a lot better if I raise my minimum pressure. In particular, I get GERD like symptoms if I don't have my minimum pressure high enough.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another problem that people should be aware of when setting the pressure range on an APAP machine. You may think that setting it wide open (4 to 20 cm H2O) would be best because the machine auto adjusts to the highest pressure needed to overcome apneas. This is only partially true. The reality is that the machine does not increase the pressure instantly in response to an apnea. It tries a little higher first, if that is not enough, then a little higher still, and so on. By the time it gets high enough to overcome the apnea sufficient time may have elapsed that you are starting suffer from low oxygen and all the ills that are associated with that. If you set the minimum a little higher it will shorten the time the machine takes to get where it needs to be during an apnea event.

My doc had the DME set my machine at 5 to 15 cm H2O, but about every month I raised the minimum to 8 cm H2O, and each time my AHI score went down a little. Just the other day I raised the minimum again to 9 cm H2O and last night I had an AHI of 0.61, the lowest I have ever had. Of course, it is far too soon to tell if the extra cm H2O will make a big difference in the long haul, but so far it looks good.

There are a lot of factors to consider when setting the pressure range on an APAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a APAP but others have posted warnings about setting the upper limit too high. Sometimes the machine can "run away" and set the pressure higher than is necessary. When this happens too often it's uncomfortable and causes leaks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your input so far. I have learnt a lot from everyone. i know this will help me. Is it possible for me to get in contact with someone who uses a Resmed Autoset S9 like I do. I have many questions to ask and I am really suffering. I would really appreciate it if I can chat with someone here in real time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven, while I am sure you are needing the help, asking for contact information or giving out your own is not encouraged. There's a lot of us here who use the Autoset and can help you on the forum or even in Private Messaging (PM).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2012, 04:17 PM)steven jackson Wrote: Is it possible for me to get in contact with someone who uses a Resmed Autoset S9 like I do. I have many questions to ask and I am really suffering. I would really appreciate it if I can chat with someone here in real time.

Post your questions here and you'll get some good answers.

I know it's overwhelming because there is so much to think about and so many options. But you have to get through it one step at a time. It will get better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 700 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 496 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 634 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Treatment] Desperate for assistance. UARS and APAP vermilion48 3 641 09-11-2023, 11:37 PM
Last Post: jwest
  New Member desperate for help Mandrake 17 1,326 10-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mandrake
  Desperate need of help understanding results AM777 17 1,719 01-31-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AM777
  5 years on cpap, no improvement. getting desperate for some help. kc210 38 3,413 09-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.