Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] machine service reminder
machine service reminder
Just a general question about the hardware...

The S9 has a reminders screen and one of the options is to set a service reminder. This is separate from the reminders for replacing tubing, filters, etc.

I checked the clinician setup manual and all it says is that the reminder is to be used to remind the patient when it's time to send the machine in for service.

Since I'm not using a DME and have sourced my own machine from an online supplier, I'm curious what kind of servicing these machines would need. Aside from replacing the filter on the flow generator unit and checking the seals on the humidifier unit, I thought they were pretty much maintenance-free. Dont-know

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of service life I might expect from my machine and what kind of problems it might give me (and when).

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: machine service reminder
And since we're on it, does it make much sense to test an auto adjusting machine with a manometer? If so, are there procedures for it?
Post Reply Post Reply
manufactures like ResMed are control freaks, the idea behind the reminder is constantly going back to the supplier (even if wanted to adjust the time on the machine clock) so you end up using their products and rip-off - if you happen to be in Australia
Post Reply Post Reply
My old S7 was tested by the supplier once a year. At it's last year, it was still accurate.

I would assume you would test it by putting it in straight CPAP. As for how to test the auto mode, good question. You would have to simulate airway closing.

But I doubt it would be necessary. Not with these machines they're making now. You'll get an error message first.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
From what I have read, the "average lifespan" of a CPAP machine is about 5 years, but some folks have been using their machines for much longer. I've had three of them - an old, pre-2007 REMstar Plus, a pre-2007 REMstar Pro and now an S9 AutoSet. Never performed any maintenance on any of them other than cleaning the outside and around where the filters go, plus washing/changing the filters every couple of months.

Yeah, I'm cheap and I wash & dry out my S9 filters one time before discarding them.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2013, 10:34 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Yeah, I'm cheap and I wash & dry out my S9 filters one time before discarding them.

Coffee

If my first month of CPAP use is any indication, I think the filters will last quite a while. It's still just as bright as the first day with barely a visible speck on it. (I'm using the "hypoallergenic" one)
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in a dusty house. I can barely last 30 days between changing. Which reminds me...
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Geez, my S9 hasn't reminded me to do anything. Maybe I better look at the settings menu...
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2013, 06:30 PM)Airstream Wrote: Geez, my S9 hasn't reminded me to do anything. Maybe I better look at the settings menu...

Not me... don't need my appliances nagging me also. Bigwink Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of patients are in the mindset of "don't think, just do what the doctor says." The reminders to change filters, masks, etc. are valid. Many patients would never replace a filter or mask unless prodded to do so.

The concept of an occasional pressure check might have some validity. I suspect it's not really that necessary.

I suspect a large part of the motivation is to generate return vi$its to the equipment $upplier.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Can My Luna 3b Be 'Bricked' (deactivated) by Doctor or Service? Frostlight 10 1,233 08-03-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required" msgill59 24 36,217 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IntelliPAP 2 & IntelliPAP Blue (DV63 & DV64) Service Manual now available SuperSleeper 0 461 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Smile [News] REMINDER - TIME CHANGE AHEAD srlevine1 2 586 11-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  [Admin Note] Reminder concerning advice offered via Private Messages SuperSleeper 1 1,089 10-27-2022, 09:27 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.