Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] mask cleaning
mask cleaning
Apologies if this topic has been discussed before. I am just curios on what people use to clean their CPAP masks. I have heard using the wrong materials can warp the mask and cause leaks. I am sure their are cheaper methods then the wipes found on CPAP websites.

Thanks for the Info.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask cleaning
There are various options. I remove the headgear and rinse the mask under warm water and 5% white vinegar. Rinse well and let dry.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
A gentle liquid soap and gentle manipulation and rinsing will work best as it addresses oils as well as solid debris. I use baby shampoo and my mask silicon shells and cushions last for years.

If you do a search you will find multiple threads on equipment cleaning.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi amwpanda,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I soak my mask, hose and humidifier chamber in warm water with Ivory Liquid in it once a week and that works well for me. In between times I wipe the mask down with CPAP wipes. Sometimes, when I buy CPAP supplies, I get them for one pinny as a promotion they have.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use dishwashing soap and warm water about every three months. No sense over-doing it. (:
Post Reply Post Reply
I like squeaky clean cushion, dirty cushion don't feel nice and leak like a sieve
I remove the cushion from the mask and wash it in the morning with soap and hot water to remove facial oil
The rest of stuff get washed whenever feel like doing it ... YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
i use cleaning soap for years,
cpap selling agent telling me can try light vinegar...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2015, 07:38 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I use dishwashing soap and warm water about every three months. No sense over-doing it. (:

LOL! I hope you are not serious! yuk!
Post Reply Post Reply
mild dish soap (like Ivory) and warm water, let sit for a few minutes and gently wash to remove oils and such. Skin oil will definitely contribute to leaking. You can do this as often as you need to depending on your skin type or if you are sick, etc. Rinse very well with running tap water and air dry. Then most recommend a vinegar soak (20-30min) with 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of vinegar:water to be done after a good cleaning at least once a week. This helps keep it sanitized. A lot of water chambers can go on the top rack of the dishwasher but I wouldn't put a mask or hose in there!! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2015, 06:03 PM)amwpanda Wrote: Apologies if this topic has been discussed before. I am just curios on what people use to clean their CPAP masks. I have heard using the wrong materials can warp the mask and cause leaks. I am sure their are cheaper methods then the wipes found on CPAP websites.

Check with the manufacturer. Usually, the mask comes with a booklet with recommendations for cleaning. I know all nasal and pillow masks can be washed in Dawn, baby bath, and vinegar/water solution. Some full face masks have multiple materials and Dawn was too harsh on them. For those, I would use baby bath.

I have a small amount (2 oz bottle) of Multi-Purpose Disinfectant Control III which I use when getting used products and when selling/giving away a used product. Dawn probably takes care of everything anyway, but hey, it's what they use at the hospital and I didn't need much.

I rinse my nasal pillow most days and wash mask, tube and tank once a week or so. As to others who wash their stuff very infrequently or not at all, I can only say that I have family members who didn't think you needed to wash the bathroom or kitchen unless Mom was coming to visit, which could be as much as 3 years.... Some people have different levels of cleanliness OR their environment doesn't match that of the rest of us.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 167 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,783 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 181 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 604 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.