Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] mask defect?
Question 
mask defect?
Ive been battling mask leaks since i started xpap 8 wks ago not constant leaks and some Good nites in between but I FINALLY found the cause, I have an f&p simplus ffm I found the seam at the top of the elbow not sealed and Very careful inspection reveals NO DAMAGE Im wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar fault Hopefully the dme will warranty this,again no damage just not sealed and the mask pressures and 8 weeks of use have made the leak more pronounced I wonder if i sealed it with superglue or silicone sealer if it would be safe to breathe through ? any thoughts ??
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask defect?
Hi nite ranger
I have not used the mask but would not be using any superglue
Check with your insurance, according to replacement schedule you can get new full face mask every 90 days and full face cushion 30 days
Coverage under Insurance and Medicare http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...6_Medicare
Post Reply Post Reply
Cyanoacrylate (aka Superglue) appears to have allergic reactions in some people. The lungs being rather sensitive, it would seem to be unwise to use superglue.

First investigate a replacement based on manufacturing defect. It would seem reasonable that they would.

Or, you can try the remedy most often used in the southeast United States -- duct tape!

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Silicon sealer should be fine -- use the stuff marked for "food preparation" or "human" use or some such.

We constantly sealed our diving masks and helmets with this stuff when I was a commercial diver.

One must be far more careful in those situations due to breathing compressed gases at fairly high pressures -- cpap is measured in fractions of a foot, divers go 10s or 100s of feet down.n *

Even air (i.e., the oxygen in the air actually) becomes toxic if you go deep enough. (Past about 10 ATM, or where the partial pressure of the O2, 0.2 at the surface, passes 2 ATM at something like 330 feet)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nite ranger,
You might talk to the company where you got the mask and see what they have to say.
Hopefully, you can get a new one under warranty.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 02:02 PM)justMongo Wrote: Or, you can try the remedy most often used in the southeast United States -- duct tape!

No Mongo, in the southeast United States that is DUCK tape!! Too-funny

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No,,,,, In Oregon it's "Duck Tape."
Post Reply Post Reply
You guys all talk funny in the US....duck tape??? LMAO Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd really like to see a picture of the joint you're talking about. It really sounds like a mfg.'s defect. The DW and I both have Simplus' and neither have had that problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
[ thanks for feedback duck tape it is ill pm a pic they wont let me post it Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,622 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Respironics - a newly reported defect Dr.Bob 7 1,256 12-04-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,281 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,856 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,109 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,443 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,876 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.