Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] maximum hose length?
maximum hose length?
I had a 6" hose..buts its a little too short....got my new PR System1 bipap auto sv advanced today...it had a new 6" hose also...so I used a hose adapter I had and connected the 6" sections together.....

but reading the PRS1 manual..it says to use a 6' 22mm hose?..

so is 12' ok?

most DME websites have longer hoses for sale and they all say the longer size does not affect pressure? I was just trying to save a few bucks..guess I could spend $15 and buy a 8' or 10' hose

Any one more knowledgeable on this subject than I am?
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: maximum hose length?
spdklls99, welcome, if you need a longer hose just get it the pressures will be fine. I suppose it depends on why you want a longer hose. I have a 6ft hose and my CPAP is in a cupboard next to my bed, I run the hose up the cupboard and over my head, I always seem to have enough hose, hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
the S1 is on a shelf next to my nightstand...6' just gives me enough to move around on my side of the queen bed..but roll over too far towards the gf's side and it literally pulls the machine right off the shelf..
8' gives much more room for error..10' would perfect....but just wondered if 12' was overkill and would affect the pressure negatively...like I said..had a hose connector and figured I would connect the two 6' hoses together rather than buy a new 8 or 10' one..

Just worried me they specifically mention to connect a 6' foot hose to the machine in the user manual that came with it
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no physicist, but in order to maintain the same pressure at the end of a longer hose the blower motor has to output more (work harder). I'm not sure if the machine would compensate. It probably would up to a certain limit. Over time it'll start to wear down the service life of the blower methinks.
Post Reply Post Reply
sounds plausible....I will suffer with a 6' hose to be on the safe side...8' hoses are like $7 OR $8...BUT THE $8 shipping charge is ridiculous....
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 10:02 PM)Paptillian Wrote: I'm no physicist, but in order to maintain the same pressure at the end of a longer hose the blower motor has to output more (work harder). I'm not sure if the machine would compensate. It probably would up to a certain limit. Over time it'll start to wear down the service life of the blower methinks.

Firstly, I am also not a physicist. But I am an engineer.

I believe that the feedback pressure sensor is at the machine itself, not at the end of the hose. This is why the machine wants to know what size hose is attached and what type of mask is used. It will compensate for the expected pressure loss through the hose and mask by providing a higher than requested pressure at the other end of the hose.

Now, if you have a 22mm hose, while you are technically correct that extending the hose will lower the pressure, the fact is that the effect is very small for just a 6' extension, probably around the pressure accuracy of the machine itself. I'd be more nervous about a 15mm hose.

I would go ahead and use the hose connector and enjoy your 12' freedom. Just make sure that the connection cannot come apart in the night.

The proof of the pudding is going to be your sleep results. Check your machine data. If you continue to have the same benefit with the longer hose as you were getting with the shorter hose, does it really matter what the true pressure is at your mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
brand new machine..1st night using it tonite...so no data to compare to...as old bipap s/t I am coming from does not work at all for me and only gives summary data that borderlines on useless.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2013, 12:00 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Firstly, I am also not a physicist. But I am an engineer.

I believe that the feedback pressure sensor is at the machine itself, not at the end of the hose. This is why the machine wants to know what size hose is attached and what type of mask is used. It will compensate for the expected pressure loss through the hose and mask by providing a higher than requested pressure at the other end of the hose.

Now, if you have a 22mm hose, while you are technically correct that extending the hose will lower the pressure, the fact is that the effect is very small for just a 6' extension, probably around the pressure accuracy of the machine itself. I'd be more nervous about a 15mm hose.

I would go ahead and use the hose connector and enjoy your 12' freedom. Just make sure that the connection cannot come apart in the night.

The proof of the pudding is going to be your sleep results. Check your machine data. If you continue to have the same benefit with the longer hose as you were getting with the shorter hose, does it really matter what the true pressure is at your mask?

What about the effects of turbulence or attenuation of the periodic waveforms that could be introduced? I'm concerned about the quality of the feedback to the machine. "Signal noise", to use an electrical analogy, will have some effect on the machine as well as the data collected. Whether or not it's negligible, I don't know. Perhaps that's also why the manufacturer doesn't want too long of a hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
I used 9' hose in the past with no problems.
not to worry about the hose connection separating.
It will wake you up!
*POW!..SHOOOOOOM!*

%^*%)(^@&%!!!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
the connector is just as tight as the hose fitting on your machine and on your facemask (ever had one of those just fall off? neither would the connector..especially since I am not using it now anyway.lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 581 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 639 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,555 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.