Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] new cpap machine
new cpap machine
Need to make a decision about which machine I will purchase in the next couple of days. Lucky to have two insurances so not hindered by cost. I am a MAC user but have access to (Yuk Window 10). My current machine is a Resperonics system 1 that I have had for 5 years using a Mirage Activa LT cushion. I backpack quite frequently and am forced to use a dental appliance which does not provide the necessary sleep. I have another 540 kilometer walk coming up and want to carry the new machine with me.
I have narrowed it down to the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto or Respironics Dreamstation Auto. My primary concern is weight so I am leaning to Dreamstation (24 oz vs 44 oz). No need for battery due to power source every night. However, I would like to start using SleepHead but I know it has not been developed for MAC. The physician mentioned that I might be better off with the Dreamstation because the AirSense 10 uses a different algorithm and I am doing well on the respironics (AHI= 1.8). Open to all opinions, feelings and general discussion. Hard for me to believe some information by physicians do to other vested interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new cpap machine
(01-14-2016, 11:42 PM)larricka Wrote: However, I would like to start using SleepHead but I know it has not been developed for MAC.

Actually it does run on Mac, at least recent versions of that OS. You'll need to be able to read the SD card, though.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. that will help me decide. I have a Mac Book Pro with the latest software that comes with a port for the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi larricka,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don’t think SleepyHead works with the Dream Station yet. Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 11:42 PM)larricka Wrote: Open to all opinions, feelings and general discussion.
Not sure about 24 oz, from Dream user manual, page 26 ...
Weight (Device with power supply): Approximately 1.33 kg (2.94 lbs)

As for the algorithm, different manufactures uses different algorithm but that doesn't mean PR is better than ResMed or vice versa, otherwise if one copy something from the other, they would be sued
I've been using ResMed machines for the last 5 years, first S9 AutoSet and now A10 AutoSet, never had a problem with either ...
happy camper Smile

For now Sleepyhead doesn't support Dream machine, but this seem to support it but not sure if does works with Mac
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Available

Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation like all Philips Respironics machines is uses a 12 volt power supply which makes it not only lighter, but compatible with most battery systems. Resmed units are 24 volt, and will require an adapter to operate at 12 volts. It will work, but it is less efficient on battery power and does require a fairly expensive converter.

Software is an issue because Sleepyhead does not yet work with Dreamstation machines. Data can currently be read in Encore Pro, but that is not a real fun program on a Mac, although it will work with parallels. No problem with PRS1 machines, and we hope the Dreamstation will be compatible pretty soon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just downloaded and installed Encore Pro 2.17.8 and have decided to order the Respironics Dream Station. I will submit my data and keep the forum advised. It was a coin flip.
Post Reply Post Reply
Received new dream station yesterday and used the product last night for the first time. AHI was 1.2. Installed Encore Pro 2 and viewed my limited data online with little success. At one time I believe one of the cpap forums had a video or instructions on how to view/use and understand the meaning of the data for the encore pro 2 software but I can't find it anywhere. Little help please. I can't even seem to be able to change my user profile at this forum to show the updated equipment. Yikes (even Kevin can do that).

Overall after one day use I found the equipment very quiet, easy to use, and much easier to sleep....
Post Reply Post Reply
Has a MAC version of SleepyHead been developed or has it been released?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 08:27 PM)larricka Wrote: Has a MAC version of SleepyHead been developed or has it been released?

Yes, go to the official download page here:

http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Scroll down and choose either the OpenGL or BrokenGL dmg file for Mac OSX.

Below that box are instructions on whether to choose the OpenGL or BrokenGL versions for Mac.

EDIT: I forgot that you're getting a DreamStation machine... oops!
The current 0.9.8-1-testing version of SleepyHead doesn't support the DreamStations, but I think JediMark will be working on producing a dmg install file once he finalizes the new version (soon, most likely). The download page will be updated once JediMark has the new release available for the public.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 300 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,726 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.