Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] nightstand / HVAC placement
nightstand / HVAC placement
As I stated in another thread I'm expecting to be on CPAP soon and will update my machine/mask in my profile when I get them. In the meantime I stumbled across a video from Philips Respironics that claims the CPAP machine should be on a bedstand that is slightly lower than the bed, and that it shouldn't be near any air vents.

I'm wondering if these are strict requirements. My nightstand is an inch or two taller than the top of the mattress. Also, I have a vent directly behind the nighstand (central air, gas furnace).

This was the best room configuration that my wife and I could come up with and it's not practical for us to shift things around. There's a nightstand on her side of the bed, but the reason I got the side with the vent is that she is sensitive to the forced air and has allergy problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nightstand / HVAC placement
Hi Paptillian,
 My nightstand is a bit taller than my bed as well and I don't have any problems; but, if you find that you do, You could put your CPAP in a drawer so that the machine is lower than your bed. The reason that they suggest that you put the machine a bit lower is that if you should have rainout, the water will go back into your humidifier chamber instead of collecting in your hose.
The way I get around that is, I have a heated hose and I put a hose wrap on it as well. If you don't have a heated hose with your machine, you could get a hose cover or make one by cutting the toes out of old socks and sewing a bunch of them together.
As far as the vents in your furnace/airconditioner, I have a vent not far from me and I don't notice any problems with that.
I hope this helps and make sense, (Ha-Ha,) Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense about water draining back to the reservoir.

(06-15-2013, 07:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: As far as the vents in your furnace/airconditioner, I have a vent not far from me and I don't notice any problems with that.

Excellent! I'll be sure to change the filters regularly as a precaution. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have mine about level with my bed, one thing I suggest to everyone is have you hose coming from above your head either using a hose lift or drap it over your bed head it sa e getting tangled. The reason they say not have it near a vent or on the floor to save getting dust in the air filter or you could breathe that dust in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a hose caddy too. That minimizes tangles while napping. Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how my wife will feel about the hose caddy Big Grin She thinks it's bad enough that I have all this equipment coming, but a stand next to the bed that looks like an I.V. is going to add that little bit of "hospital" flare to the bedroom! LOL

Poor girl... I feel so bad about all this, even though it's going to help us both!

Do those hose hangers give you enough slack to sleep on your sides and belly?
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at it this way, Paptillian, you'll be ready when the first wave of Alien invaders land. Smile

You might even get some lost MoJo back. It happens!

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The hose hanger keeps you from getting wrapped up in CPAP hose.
I do use an 18 - 24" extension though just for a bit of extra slack.

Wink

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Always a silver lining Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
You can always put it where I put my machine - under the bed. I run the 10' hose up through the head board and then down, next to my body before it it bends back up to my headgear. I change the filter once a month regardless of its condition.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 3 522 10-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
  Placement of the machine wallytbg10 20 2,475 01-28-2022, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand alxyz 18 3,797 02-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Remember2Breathe
  Picture of proper nasal pillow placement GrammaBear 2 1,119 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Snoring Bear
  AHI and P10 hose placement Kosoku 3 1,608 05-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Machine Placement and Hose Management littlefatcat 9 2,737 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Gary1of2
  Placement of CPAP device TrailerSweetheart 21 6,004 03-06-2017, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.