Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] nightstand / HVAC placement
RE: nightstand / HVAC placement
I have my machine quit a bit higher than my bed on the linen cabinet. the hose the runs upwards along the wall until it reaches the point directly over my pillow and from there hangs. I do not have rain out problems, nor do I have problems tossing and turning. Angle and slack is everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
1) Don't worry about it unless you have a problem with water collecting in the hose.

2) The number one consideration is to be sure you can't pull the machine off the table or turn it over. The water from the humidifier can ruin the machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just picked up a humidifier today, now have concerns about pulling the whole thing off the table - in the 3 weeks since I started CPAP I've managed that trick 3 times already. Maybe time for new bedroom furniture Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 04:32 PM)Plank! Wrote: I just picked up a humidifier today, now have concerns about pulling the whole thing off the table - in the 3 weeks since I started CPAP I've managed that trick 3 times already. Maybe time for new bedroom furniture Wink

Or bubble-wrap the floor. Maybe a bag of rubber mulch like what they use at children's playgrounds around the nightstand Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2013, 05:13 PM)Paptillian Wrote: Not sure how my wife will feel about the hose caddy Big Grin She thinks it's bad enough that I have all this equipment coming, but a stand next to the bed that looks like an I.V. is going to add that little bit of "hospital" flare to the bedroom! LOL

Poor girl... I feel so bad about all this, even though it's going to help us both!

Do those hose hangers give you enough slack to sleep on your sides and belly?

A tip from somewhere on this forum that I found very useful and minimally intrusive is to use a stick on hook placed above your head and a small tie ( I use a Velcro cable tie, they suggested a shoelace) to hang the hose from.

I am a side sleeper and toss and turn and this worked very well for me. This also works to pack in your travel bag if you use the hooks with the pull adhesive tape that leaves no marks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 04:32 PM)Plank! Wrote: I just picked up a humidifier today, now have concerns about pulling the whole thing off the table - in the 3 weeks since I started CPAP I've managed that trick 3 times already. Maybe time for new bedroom furniture Wink

You're really lucky you still have a working machine. Even if the impact doesn't kill it, just turning it over can ruin it from the water.

Tie the hose firmly to something so you can't pull the machine off the table. Or run it through a hole drilled into the bedside furniture. Or set the CPAP in a drawer or a box of some sort.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2013, 08:38 PM)Tez62 Wrote: or you could breathe that dust in.

Not for nothing, but if you have that much dust blowing out of your ducts it is probably time to clean. Also, you breathe that same dusty air without a filter all the time. It isn't going to kill you.

(06-16-2013, 05:13 PM)Paptillian Wrote: Poor girl... I feel so bad about all this, even though it's going to help us both!

Separate beds are the ticket. It helps that the wife has one of those tempurpedic foam spinecrushers which I refuse to sleep on anyway.

(06-23-2013, 06:34 PM)archangle Wrote: You're really lucky you still have a working machine. Even if the impact doesn't kill it, just turning it over can ruin it from the water.

I haven't noticed that the machines are all that fragile. I've had mine for a couple years of 365 day use including travel and I've slam-dunked mine off the nightstand probably 4 or 5 times in that span. Never missed a beat (other than scaring the hell out of you and an instant wake up). Pick it up, make sure all the plugs are still where they should go, and back to sleep!

OTOH I'm not suggesting that you intentionally abuse your machine. Just saying that you shouldn't beat yourself up for dropping it occasionally. That sort of thing is going to happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2013, 01:48 PM)APNEA_Sam Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 06:34 PM)archangle Wrote: You're really lucky you still have a working machine. Even if the impact doesn't kill it, just turning it over can ruin it from the water.

I haven't noticed that the machines are all that fragile. I've had mine for a couple years of 365 day use including travel and I've slam-dunked mine off the nightstand probably 4 or 5 times in that span. Never missed a beat (other than scaring the hell out of you and an instant wake up). Pick it up, make sure all the plugs are still where they should go, and back to sleep!

OTOH I'm not suggesting that you intentionally abuse your machine. Just saying that you shouldn't beat yourself up for dropping it occasionally. That sort of thing is going to happen.

I don't know what the odds are of survival of the fall off the table. We've had numerous reports of machines ending up in a watery grave when pulled off the table. The results probably depend on which side it falls on, how far, how you pick it up, how full the water tank was, etc. Also PRS1 water tanks do seem to do a much better job of preventing water from getting back into the blower unit.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 04:29 PM)archangle Wrote: I don't know what the odds are of survival of the fall off the table. We've had numerous reports of machines ending up in a watery grave when pulled off the table. The results probably depend on which side it falls on, how far, how you pick it up, how full the water tank was, etc. Also PRS1 water tanks do seem to do a much better job of preventing water from getting back into the blower unit.

It's interesting. I'd say when I drop mine it is always from pulling the hose. Which pivots the unit towards me humidifier first... and then when it falls it falls ON the humidifier side. Typically this is after sleeping for some time, so the chamber wouldn't be full. It always wakes me up, and I jump up and pick it up right away. Then... get back to sleeping.

Maybe the model I have is just a champ like that. /shrug
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 3 522 10-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
  Placement of the machine wallytbg10 20 2,474 01-28-2022, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand alxyz 18 3,794 02-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Remember2Breathe
  Picture of proper nasal pillow placement GrammaBear 2 1,118 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Snoring Bear
  AHI and P10 hose placement Kosoku 3 1,607 05-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Machine Placement and Hose Management littlefatcat 9 2,737 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Gary1of2
  Placement of CPAP device TrailerSweetheart 21 6,003 03-06-2017, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.