Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] non-functional buttons
Question 
non-functional buttons
I have been using CPAP for some 30 years and wouldn't be without it (for those who are pondering a start on CPAP).  However, my ResMed Escape II is beginning to malfunction and I need some advice to accomplish a cure.  NONE of the buttons work any more, to turn on and off this machine I have to use the electric wall socket to plug it in or unplug it.  Is there some sort of "reset" or fuse that can be accessed to get the machine back on track?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: non-functional buttons
G'day OHIOHAM. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Push buttons do wear out over time, and diaphragm type buttons can accumulate dust or dirt in the contacts. I'm not really familiar with the S8 so I don't know what type of buttons it may have. However for all of them to go out at once sounds like a more fundamental problem - possibly a failed circuit board, or a failed (or loose) connector. If you're handy with a screwdriver you might be able to see if a connector between the switch panel and the main circuit board has come loose.

Generally, to reset a CPAP machine we just turn it off, wait a respectable period for the capacitors to discharge (up to 30 minutes) then turn it back on. It sounds like you're already doing this by default.

Hopefully some other members will chime in with some more detailed suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this won't help repair your machine, but IMHO, it's time to get a new machine.

The ResMed S8 Escape II is rather old technology and CPAP machines have improved dramatically since those came out in 2008.  Many of them are auto-adusting and fully data-capable as well.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

The average expected lifespan of a CPAP machine is around 5 years.  If you've been using the Excape II since 2008-09, you're looking at 10 years of use, which is twice the average lifespan.

Eventhough your Escape II may work now, if the buttons are already failing, other parts, especially the blower, are going to fail soon as well.

Why not use this opportunity to get a new, modern machine?  You can still keep the Escape II, but use it only for a backup device.

These days, you can get a pretty good basic machine for around $250 brand new from most online suppliers.  If you have any sort of health care insurance, CPAP machines are covered devices.

Figure out a way to get one if you can.

Fix your Excape II, yes, but I'm hoping that such an old machine isn't your primary CPAP.  It's going to fail, and I'm surprised it's made it this long.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree 100% with SuperSleeper. A S9 or AirSense 10 is far better than the S8. If you can afford to upgrade, do it.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] 914 Gadgets Airsense 11/AirMini usb-c adapter non-functional RadRayven 2 1,193 11-21-2022, 01:44 PM
Last Post: MoarSleepPlz
  [Equipment] Resmed S9 non-functional auto start/stop schuetz1619 2 3,618 01-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  If you were to design a truly functional treatment model to achieve best results? goodonya 8 3,638 12-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Sleepyhead Software - Control Buttons sleepyhead2 4 2,995 08-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Paptillian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.