Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] pressure gets so high
pressure gets so high
why does my remstar auto a-flex system one build up a high pressure in middle of the night? The pressure is set 7/11 the pressure gets so high I cant keep my mask from leaking.I have been on cpap a little over a month got a lot to learn.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pressure
What software are you using?
You might want to download SleepyHead, it is free and is used by many of the folks here.
You will be able to see exactly what is happening minute by minute, so you can understand why your pressure is increasing and how much and maybe even why.
Since there are many knowledgeable Sleepyhead users here, you will be able to ask for and get help understanding what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
The PRS1 auto aflex if your running a string of Flow limitations pretty close together the PRS1 auto will keep raising pressure until it stops them which its supposed to do. It will also sense your flow pattern and if its narrowing raise pressure or lower to round that off also. A max of 11 isnt that high so you should be able to control the leaks by adjusting the mask. My start is 10.5. No leaks there at all.

Check your software, it should show you what the machine is raising pressure in response too. But its likely simply responding to events as you go into a deeper sleep or get onto your back.

Its entirely possible 11 isnt high enough for it to clear out events and lower the pressure back down. If so it will simply run up to your max and sit there while events keep occurring because its capped and cant go any higher to clear them out.

Youll need to check SH or Encore basic to see exactly what is going on with that.

The machine also has a mask chk feature which will run a 45 second leak test from max pressure slowly lowering your set min pressure. If you pass that test its a pretty good bet youll not leak much at all unless you dislodge the mask in your sleep.

To run the mask chk put the mask on. The press and hold down the ramp button for few seconds and release. Youll see a bar graph on the machines screen as it runs the test and get a check mark if it passes or X if it fails.

If it wont run the msk chck your DME has disabled it or didnt know the machine has it which is more likely. Youll need to go into the clinical settings to enable it in that case. PM me if you dont know how. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rml313,WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pressure gets so high
[quote='rml313' pid='94368' dateline='1418927382']
why does my remstar auto a-flex system one build up a high pressure in middle of the night? The pressure is set 7/11 the pressure gets so high I cant keep my mask from leaking.I have been on cpap a little over a month got a lot to learn.

[Hi, For me pressure gets to the top of 19-20 when I sleep on my back. This seems to regularly happen between 12- 2:00 am. Maybe this is happening to you, and the autoset has to up the pressure to treat the increased apnea - fede]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pressure gets so high
Another way to sort of stop the climb is to inch you min pressure up closer to where nothing much is happening in the way of flow limitations or hypops. An auto machine always starts out behind the curve as you will have an event the machine responds up a bit and waits to see if anything else happens. If it does, even a flow limitation itll raise more. So its always chasing until finally it chases up high enough to stop the clusters that are happening.

By raising your min pressure you prevent alot of stuff from ever starting in the first place and if it does it it doenst take the machine as long to catch up which oft times will happen at a lower pressure that it would if it has farther to raise to be effective.

Also changing to a nasal or pillows mask vs FFM if you can use nasal will usually lower the pressures needed to treat you by several cms.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 714 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 110 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,438 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 218 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.