Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame
same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame
I need either a different nasal mask or a DIY solution for this:
On the part called the frame, which extends to the front where the hose attaches, one piece has broken. Inside the silver-gray fabric covering the frame is a "skeleton" of flexible plastic. Twice now in this first year of ownership, this plastic has broken at the point where it reaches the circular part that accommodates the hose connection.

If someone has a DIY repair not involving duct tape, I may try it. Otherwise, I'm looking for a similar product that is more durable?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame
Hi okieman,
I had the silicon frame fracture on my Wisp mask, too. There is also a fabric frame version of that same mask, you might check into that, if you like that particular one.
Good luck to you in finding a mask that will work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A year of nightly use of a headgear or cpap mask is a very long time to expect it to hold together without problems. As Trish suggested, there is a fabric design that may satisfy your needs, or maybe try a different designed mask that doesn't put as much stress on that area of your face.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2016, 03:38 PM)okieman Wrote: I need either a different nasal mask or a DIY solution for this:
On the part called the frame, which extends to the front where the hose attaches, one piece has broken. Inside the silver-gray fabric covering the frame is a "skeleton" of flexible plastic. Twice now in this first year of ownership, this plastic has broken at the point where it reaches the circular part that accommodates the hose connection.

If someone has a DIY repair not involving duct tape, I may try it. Otherwise, I'm looking for a similar product that is more durable?

Most insurance plans will pay for a complete new mask every three months.

I have been using the Wisp for some time now and I have never had the failure you describe. But when I got my first one it failed within a few weeks. I took it back to the DME where I got it and they told me that the Wisp was a brand new product at the time (which was true) and that they would call Respironics. They did so while I waited and the Respironics people acknowledged that there had been a manufacturing problem with the first batch of the 'fabric' masks and to replace it for me at their expense. At the time they also made them with a silicone front part, which is what the DME gave me as a replacement. Although the silicone mask never failed for me, I found that after a while I had a lot of leaks because the headgear part loses its elasticity. Nowadays I just get a new one every four to six months and I have never had the problem you describe.

The last time I got a new mask the DME threw in a small box containing just a replacement for the fabric headgear. I put it on the silicone front part, added a new cushion, and Ι'm back in business. The complete new mask is still sitting on the shelf for when I decide I need it. I have never had the silicone part fail.

Although I have to watch the leaks with the Wisp, it is better in that regard than any of the other dozen masks that I have tried. Leaks are a big problem for me because I am a pretty active sleeper.

Oh, and the first thing I do with a new Wisp is discard the little plastic snaps. I just stick the fabric directly into the slot they are supposed to fit in. And I also use big baby safety pins to secure the velcro, because otherwise I sometimes rip the mask apart during the night while reaching up to scratch my ear or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
My recommendation would be to obtain the UV adhesive that is currently being advertised on TV. It should help in a pinch. We have a drugstore chain in my area that sells "as Seen on TV" products.

Good luck..
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that may help in the future would be to minimize the number of times you pop the cushion out of the frame. If you use the all plastic frame, there's no reason to wash the cushion separately from the frame - except it's a little clumsy. If using the fabric covered frame (as I will be soon), a daily wipe-down of the cushion, with weekly removal and washing of the cushion, should prolong the life of the frame.
From a design standpoint, strengthening the frame around the cushion would make it heavier and harder to remove and replace the cushion. Since the insurance companies seem happy with a 6-month replacement cycle, why not? It costs less to make, and you'll sell more of them. What's not to like? Assuming 'you' are the manufacturer...
If you want to use to destruction, you can pick up just a frame as soon as you see the tear developing, of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the helpful details !!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use and love this mask. I change the frame every 3 months, as recommended, and have never seen such an issue. At what interval are you replacing your frame? The Fabric frame seems to last very well, and I've not seen any indications of a problem around the hose attachment point. Not sure why your experience is so different, as I am also a very active sleeper.

What do you think is the cause?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not your problem point, but I thought others might be interested in this solution for another weak area, the button hole on the frame. My DME sent me home with a set of demo magnets made specifically for the wisp by PR. They attach one side to the frame opening where the button would attach, and the other where you remove the button from the head gear. Much more convenient, they snap together when somewhat close to each other. Should save wear and tear on the frame button hole. I use a clear frame and on a negative note they do leave about a nickel size mark where they touch my cheek.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a Wisp Mask for around 2 years, got over 12 months out of the first silicon/plastic frame, then switched to the fabric frame and got less than 3 months use before it came apart, back to the silicon/plastic frame then and still working a treat after over 9 months. Would not even consider a fabric frame ever again, and anyhow my main supplier no longer keeps the fabric frames as she had so many complaints the same as mine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,830 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,613 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,054 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,093 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 376 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,124 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.