Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] shutting down
Question 
shutting down
hi!

a new customer with a problem: my machine shuts down, probably right after the ramp time is over. i reset it, it shuts down again. night after night.

i've called the Resmed people, i've had the machine exchanged for a new one.... and no difference.

when you look at the read-out, it shows no activity whatsoever.

it's an S9, Escape with H5i and i'm using a Swift FX for her, that blows air away from the face as if it has a leak, but i don't know if this is normal. [i have to soap it up to see where it's coming from].

i had another machine that did the same thing: starts off like it was trying to blow me up. [visions of finding myself floating at the ceiling, very uncomfortable if you don't expect it.] i then hit start/stop button and it settles down, yet shuts down after something like 30 mins.

the power issue i've read about does not seem to apply, for that would mean several outages every night.

any suggestions would be great!

thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: shutting down
(04-04-2012, 02:22 PM)pilvikki Wrote: hi!

a new customer with a problem: my machine shuts down, probably right after the ramp time is over. i reset it, it shuts down again. night after night.

i've called the Resmed people, i've had the machine exchanged for a new one.... and no difference.

when you look at the read-out, it shows no activity whatsoever.

it's an S9, Escape with H5i and i'm using a Swift FX for her, that blows air away from the face as if it has a leak, but i don't know if this is normal. [i have to soap it up to see where it's coming from].

i had another machine that did the same thing: starts off like it was trying to blow me up. [visions of finding myself floating at the ceiling, very uncomfortable if you don't expect it.] i then hit start/stop button and it settles down, yet shuts down after something like 30 mins.

the power issue i've read about does not seem to apply, for that would mean several outages every night.

any suggestions would be great!

thanks!

The only thing that I can think of is that out off is enabled and there are SEVERE leaks making the machine think that you have taken the mask off. The Mirage FX for her does vent out the front of the maks. Check to make sure that the elbow is securely seated into the mask. What pressure is your machine set at?

Post Reply Post Reply
Try this:
Take the mask off the hose.
Put your fingers around the end of the hose to allow some air through but not all of it. Kind of like what a mask does.
Turn the machine on. If it runs, then the mask is faulty. After it has run longer than it usually does, take your hand completely away and let it blow free. If it shuts off again, then it is set to what Rritch said above.
If it does not, then something else is wrong. Did you get both machines from same supplier? Are they setting something up wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2012, 02:52 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Try this:
Put your fingers around the end of the hose to allow some air through but not all of it. Kind of like what a mask does.
Turn the machine on. If it runs, then the mask is faulty. After it has run longer than it usually does, take your hand completely away and let it blow free. If it shuts off again, then it is set to what Rritch said above.
If it does not, then something else is wrong. Did you get both machines from same supplier? Are they setting something up wrong?

if this doesn't work, you need to take the machine, mask and everything else to your dme, put it on in their office and try to replicate the problem in front of them. if it does it at home it should do it in front of them. if it doesn't do it in front of them or they can't spot something you're doing wrong then perhaps it is a power issue in your home or with the plug-in you are using. maybe you have a bad line coming from the power pole to your home that is causing dirty power that the cpap is sensitive to and other things are not. 2 bad machines in a row is 99.999999% out of the question on a normal day.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pilvikki, welcome to apnea board
I've read that the power brick gives off heat and if it,s too close to the humidifier heat sensor it will shut off the machine and it,s recommended to keep the machine well ventilated and away from walls and the power brick to be away from the machine as possible.

Ask your doctor to help you exchanging the S9 Escape with the S9 Elite
The S9 Escape is a basic machine with no data other than compliance to meet insurance requirement but it doesn't meet your requirement or help the Doc in any useful way. It doesn't shows your AHI (AI, HI, CAI) or leak which is essential to monitor the therapy and also the S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet have added features like mask fit, CSA detection

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2012, 03:24 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 02:52 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Try this:

if this doesn't work, you need to take the machine, mask and everything else to your dme, put it on in their office and try to replicate the problem in front of them. if it does it at home it should do it in front of them. if it doesn't do it in front of them or they can't spot something you're doing wrong then perhaps it is a power issue in your home or with the plug-in you are using. maybe you have a bad line coming from the power pole to your home that is causing dirty power that the cpap is sensitive to and other things are not. 2 bad machines in a row is 99.999999% out of the question on a normal day.

Try out your equipment at the DME's office to see if the issue replicates itself. If it does, great. Now you can resolve it.

If it doesn't, I agree with greatunclebill there is something power related in your home.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
oh WOW! this is awesome! i figured i'd give a couple of days to get a reply - while my daughter is nattering about "you obviously don't know what you're doing, have them show you again!" [one of those people you always hear "she means well" about...] don't guys have a life either. lol!

anyway, i'll try all the things you suggested and if noting works, i'll haul the lot over - with a book - and sit in their office to see what happens.

bummer, she told me that was their best machine...
Post Reply Post Reply
Same type thing happened to me on occasion with my S9 AutoSet... it was the Auto-ON / Auto-OFF function. I would move in my sleep, jar the mask a bit loose to where the leak rate went up, and the Auto-OFF sensor thought I had taken the mask off and it shut the machine down.

Turn Auto-ON/Auto-OFF completely off... I'd be willing to bet good money that's the issue, as Rritch said.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Apology-2 The SmartStart/Stop feature is not available on the S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto
May be been added recently to the Escape Dont-know
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2012, 06:31 PM)zonk Wrote: Apology-2 The SmartStart/Stop feature is not available on the S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto
May be been added recently to the Escape Dont-know
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Huh, didn't know that... thanks Zonk. Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IBreeze - Shutting Off rg69 8 2,113 02-05-2023, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Dray4306
  [Equipment] Resmed Airsense 10 A Shutting Off Hihowrya 21 7,735 08-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  [Equipment] REMstarPlus M Series machine only turning on for about 10 seconds then shutting off BucketDip 4 1,535 07-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed keeps shutting off [A10 Autoset] DaphneNicole 7 19,021 02-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  shutting off the cpap Resmed airsense 10 thor48 5 3,200 07-05-2016, 04:54 AM
Last Post: holden4th
Sad tried to adjust pressure/cpap shutting off Wendy LHommedieu 7 7,785 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.