Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] smart start
smart start
I just started using the Resmed S9 Auto and the Resmed Quattro FX full face mask. Several times during the week a max pressure situation wakes my wife and I. It blows very loud and I have to wake up enough to find the power button and put the mask back on.. When I turn it back on, everything is fine. I don't know what causes it. I've gone into the clinical mode, and thought that maybe selecting the Smart Start button might help, but the button is greyed out and I can't select it. I put the climate control to patient, but it's still greyed out. I would appreciate any advice that you might have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: smart start
Welcome

The Smart Start problem is a firmware issue, where Smart Start is locked out when a full face mask is used. I believe it depends on the firmware version, but an S9 user will have to give you more details on that.

I recently purchased a ResMed Quattro for use when I'm congested (about one night out of the month), but I've only experimented with it during the day. I've noticed that leaks can be loud, making a trombone-like sound. When I pulled my detailed data graph, the leak wasn't all that bad, staying well below 24 L/min, which is the maximum leakage that is considered acceptable. I think the machine is detecting the face trombone as a snore, causing it to boost the pressure to the maximum since increasing the pressure makes the "snore" worse. I've never noticed my machine chasing leaks with other masks. Could this be happening to you?

When I switched the mask type on my S8 to full face, it automatically turned off Smart Start. I switched it back to a nasal mask, and I was able to turn on Smart Start. It turned out that Smart Start worked perfectly well for me with the Quattro. Setting the mask type incorrectly might be an option for you, although it may skew the data a bit.

I ordered a Padacheek mask liner to control the musical leakage, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi terry1163 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you have ramp turned on, the machine will start out at a lower pressure and gradually increase to your maximum pressure.
The ramp feature is to help newbies to ease into CPAP therapy. As you get used to it, ramp can be turned off.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't care for smart start so I don't think you're missing anything bby not having the option.
Mary
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 01:59 AM)terry1163 Wrote: I just started using the Resmed S9 Auto and the Resmed Quattro FX full face mask.
if machine S9 Auto Escape ... the smart start/stop and mask fit features are not available (Autoset and Elite only)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2013, 03:00 AM)zonk Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 01:59 AM)terry1163 Wrote: I just started using the Resmed S9 Auto and the Resmed Quattro FX full face mask.
if machine S9 Auto Escape ... the smart start/stop and mask fit features are not available (Autoset and Elite only)

Hi terry1163, welcome to the forum!

If your new machine is an S9 Escape Auto, I think you owe it to yourself to try your utmost get it changed for a data capable machine, as soon as possible or it may quickly become too late to do this. Just take it back and try asking for an S9 AutoSet. If your DME provider won't upgrade your machine, maybe you can ask your doctor for a prescription for an S9 AutoSet including instruction "Dispense As Written" so the DME will be forced to upgrade your machine.

The problem is the Escape Auto gives virtually no data, only the hours used and the AHI (Apnea + Hypopnea Index). You are far more likely to be successful in achieving restful sleep and long term good health if you have a fully data-capable machine which allows you and your doctor to monitor your sleep quality more closely

Other great recommendations for machine choices from Archangle, one of our Master Members, can be found in our Wiki, here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

In my view, if buying a new machine it is important to get one that records high rate Flow, which gives you a waveform (or plot) that shows how much air you are breathing into and out of your lungs, rather than just the pressure waveform. The machines which Archangle recommends do this.

Being able to see the Flow data is a big deal, because the airflow data is fundamental to seeing whether our Sleep Apnea is being treated as well as possible.

Also, the newer models score Obstructive apneas and Central apneas (or Clear Airway apneas), which can be important for optimizing treatment.

Take care,
---- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 02:47 AM)big_dave Wrote: Welcome

The Smart Start problem is a firmware issue, where Smart Start is locked out when a full face mask is used.

Then again, when I was using a borrowed S8 AutoSet II, I was unable to activate Smart Start. I could view the parameters (on or off for example) but I couldn't change them, even in the clinical menu.
It's possible I would have had to try to go in through ResScan but since I didn't have a data card (or a way to hook it up to my computer) that wasn't an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 02:47 AM)big_dave Wrote: Welcome I appreciate all of your comments. I've been using a CPAP for 10 years and I have always used the ramp function. It took some hoop work, but I finally got the DME provider to give me the resmed S9 auto and I use sleepy head to get data from the chip. The hang up getting the auto was of course the DME provider not wanting to pay for it, but the biggest hang up was the doctor at the sleep study provider. He said that I could try it for a couple of weeks and that he would review the data and if I didn't need the auto, he would turn the machine back into a regular CPAP. I've gone from my usual 4-5 hours of sleep to 7-8 hours on the auto machine. If the dr trys to make it a regular CPAP again, I'll change it back to the auto. I've gotten to know the sales rep for the DME provider pretty well through all of this. I asked him what the doctor's problem is and he told me that the sleep center can get medicare to pay for a new sleep study every couple of years, but if have the auto, I won't need a sleep study. His pocket trumps my sleep apparently. I don't understand all of the data that I have , but I'm working on it. The mask leak issue causing the pressure spike makes sense. I'll have to work on that.

The Smart Start problem is a firmware issue, where Smart Start is locked out when a full face mask is used. I believe it depends on the firmware version, but an S9 user will have to give you more details on that.

I recently purchased a ResMed Quattro for use when I'm congested (about one night out of the month), but I've only experimented with it during the day. I've noticed that leaks can be loud, making a trombone-like sound. When I pulled my detailed data graph, the leak wasn't all that bad, staying well below 24 L/min, which is the maximum leakage that is considered acceptable. I think the machine is detecting the face trombone as a snore, causing it to boost the pressure to the maximum since increasing the pressure makes the "snore" worse. I've never noticed my machine chasing leaks with other masks. Could this be happening to you?

When I switched the mask type on my S8 to full face, it automatically turned off Smart Start. I switched it back to a nasal mask, and I was able to turn on Smart Start. It turned out that Smart Start worked perfectly well for me with the Quattro. Setting the mask type incorrectly might be an option for you, although it may skew the data a bit.

I ordered a Padacheek mask liner to control the musical leakage, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 367 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,471 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,463 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 539 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  airmini smart stop leads to many on/off events elliotg 4 565 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.