Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling with Nasal Mask
RE: Struggling with Nasal Mask
(01-07-2014, 06:34 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi PaytonA,
There a couple thing you can try for dry mouth.
One is Zylimelts, (they are a breathmint type thing,) or a mouthwash called Biodene.
Hope this helps you.

Biotene has a lot of products including toothpaste for dry mouth. I have met several people that use Biotene. I have used it for years and like the results. It is expensive though but to me, well worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to make a spelling correction on one of the products I mentioned in my post above. The breathmints I was talking about is called "Xylimelts." They have a sweetner called Xylitol in them, which is good for the teeth from what I have read.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 08:45 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: I need to make a spelling correction on one of the products I mentioned in my post above. The breathmints I was talking about is called "Xylimelts." They have a sweetner called Xylitol in them, which is good for the teeth from what I have read.

I will have to try those
Post Reply Post Reply
Xylimelts work well for me. I have to order them online though as none of the pharmacies I looked at had them.
Post Reply Post Reply
One is Zylimelts, (they are a breathmint type thing,) or a mouthwash called Biodene.
Hope this helps you.

I have used Biotene. Tried it before I went to bed - no help. Tried it after I get up - helps re-moisturise my mouth a little faster than without. I will look for the Zylimelts.

Thanks for the suggestions,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2014, 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
Hope this helps you.

I have used Biotene. Tried it before I went to bed - no help. Tried it after I get up - helps re-moisturise my mouth a little faster than without. I will look for the Zylimelts.

Thanks for the suggestions,

PaytonA

Just be careful with zylitol. It is deadly to dogs.
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread started with me whining about my nasal mask. My experience has been what I now believe to be typical for a newbie. I had to go through three masks before I found the right one for me. And the right mask (drum roll) is the Fisher & Paykel Simplus. It is bigger, and has a forehead strap attachment that keeps it stable but it somehow feels light on my face. The larger pillows allow almost no leakage and I like the roominess inside the mask. The nasal cup felt too close to my nose and my warm exhaled breath seemed oppressive. The roominess provides the sensation of plenty of fresh air available to inhale.

So...the selection of a mask is very subjective. Hopefully you folks who are even newer than me have a cooperative DME that will sympathize with you during the start-up adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 12:19 PM)Mountain Man Wrote: I can't tell if my mouth is opening or not. It's not open when I wake but it gets extremely dry, so I wonder. Is dry mouth common to people who DON'T breathe through their mouth on the nasal mask?

Mountain Man,

I use a nasal mask and I do not believe that I open my mouth but I still have dry mouth. Sometimes it is worse and maybe that is when I have opened my mouth. My leakage numbers do not indicate my mouth being open. Hopefully, when I get my data card reader I will be able to tell better.

Keep plugging away. It took me 6 months to get my leakage squared away. That was a long time before I found the Apnea Board.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me about 3 years to get the leaks under control. It took a different mask and chin strap to do it. When I get my new machine I hope that my sleep improves a lot more. It has gotten better since I finally have the right mask. I also fired my DME and my new DME is more concerned about patients than they are the bottom line. They are not in network with my insurance company but they are only going to charge me what I would have to pay if they were in network. This is the same company that spent a good amount of time showing me all kinds of different masks weeks before my sleep study and gave me a chin strap so I could use it a while before my sleep study and be adjusted to it. It is the only sleep study that I have had that I slept for more than 2 hours. I did keep waking up but I went right back to sleep. I feel like I am finally on the right track. AND, for those new to CPAP, as many problems I (and others) have had with fragmented sleep, daytime sleepiness, leaks, and a lot more, I never went to sleep without that machine. I will tell you that you can get through any issues you are having and working those issues out is a lot better than the alternative and that means that without CPAP, you could die so stick with it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 75 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 271 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.