Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
brand new user
machine does not work right
either i cant get to sleep because it wont adjust to my breathing
or else i fall asleep because i am so tired
and wake up as if i just hit a brick wall and the air had been sucked out of the mask
fortunately i can then breathe through my mouth 
if i had a full face mask i could have panicked and died being too out of it to realise could take the mask off

has anyone heard of a similar happening
what causes it

is this triggering central apnea
was the pressure too low 

i never had anything like this withOUT the machine
the worst was a struggling to breathe but nothing like what this machine did to me 

all suggestions appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
Hi there and welcome to the forum! You'll definitely get some help here. But first things first, please download Sleepyhead software and follow the instructions on how to organize the data all below in my signature.

It will get easier to use over time and the feelings of panic you are experiencing at not being able to breath could either be due to anxiety or perhaps the settings on the machine. Perhaps a bit of both, which would be normal for a new user. I would definitely advise you to post your data and then you can get some real tips on how to make things better!
Post Reply Post Reply
xxyzx, you need to download #Sleepyhead software. Follow the instructions in my signature links to organize and post the data. If you are seeing a majority of CA events in the on-screen sleep report then there is a possibility your CPAP is not your best therapy tool. I will be glad to help you understand the data, but we gotta see it first.

Your CPAP pressure is already in a narrow range. If your events are predominately central, put it on fixed CPAP at 9.0 and turn off EPR and see if it improves. If it does, I bet we can get better from there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the risk of sounding sarcastic, but this is a genuine thought (because I did it the first night I used my Dreamstation rental machine when I was first trialed with one).

You did actually turn the machine on?
Not just push the button that shows the menu options and most recent data? 
(not personally familiar with your type of machine, but am assuming it has a similar operating method to my Dreamstation as far as multiple buttons are concerned)

However, on the plus side of things, you will get used to it once everything is fine tuned to your personal treatment needs. 

It took me several weeks before I was settled in with mine- part of it is getting your mind and body to accept it, the other part is the little adjustments to the machine and mask to get it all right for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh my goodness... Ockrocket!!!!!!!!

I could totally see how that could happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Same with the S9. Took me several tries to figure out the small button, the one that was hard to find in the dark, was the on/off but the BIG knob was not.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to reinforce what the others have said - it is a big adjustment to sleeping with a plastic alien strapped to your face and blowing air up your nose through a compressor! It's not at all unusual to have feelings of panic, either not getting enough air or else getting too much and "drowning" in air. Familiarity with the machine and perhaps some pressure adjustments will overcome this.

Quote:if i had a full face mask i could have panicked and died being too out of it to realise could take the mask off

No, you wouldn't die. The masks are vented and have an anti-asphyxia valve. In any case the body's urge for self-preservation is incredibly strong and you would pull the mask off even if you were "out of it".
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2017, 07:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: xxyzx, you need to download [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software. Follow the instructions in my signature links to organize and post the data.  If you are seeing a majority of CA events in the on-screen sleep report then there is a possibility your CPAP is not your best therapy tool.  I will be glad to help you understand the data, but we gotta see it first.

Your CPAP pressure is already in a narrow range. If your events are predominately central, put it on fixed CPAP at 9.0 and turn off EPR and see if it improves.  If it does, I bet we can get better from there.

thanks
i dont really have any data
they sent me a compliance report for the doctor i will see in a fortnight

the problem is i gave up because it either kept me awake
or if i was so tired that i fell asleep anyway 
it kept waking me up with a jolt as if i hit a brick wall and the air had been sucked out of the mask

fortunately i could breathe through my mouth when it happened
if i had a full face mask on and panicked then i might have died

(04-04-2017, 02:34 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: At the risk of sounding sarcastic, but this is a genuine thought (because I did it the first night I used my Dreamstation rental machine when I was first trialed with one).

You did actually turn the machine on?
Not just push the button that shows the menu options and most recent data? 
(not personally familiar with your type of machine, but am assuming it has a similar operating method to my Dreamstation as far as multiple buttons are concerned)

However, on the plus side of things, you will get used to it once everything is fine tuned to your personal treatment needs. 

It took me several weeks before I was settled in with mine- part of it is getting your mind and body to accept it, the other part is the little adjustments to the machine and mask to get it all right for you.

yes

the machine was on
with short  ramp i could not breathe
with long ramp i fell asleep but the machine kept jolting me awake as if i hit a brick wall and the air was sucked out of the mask

i slept and breathed better without the machine 

how do you get used to being slammed into a brick wall every time you fall asleep 

you sound like the DME seller and their advice 
they keep blaming me
i say this machine is set wrong or more likely i need an ASV not a bipap set to fixed standard mode
Post Reply Post Reply
You sound like a good candidate for the Resmed P10 pillows mask. It's the most minimal of all masks, and can really alleviate that sense of claustrophobia. Good luck with the therapy. Imagining you can't breathe is better than being unable to.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have mentioned the "air being sucked out of the mask". This can't happen - the system is under constant positive pressure. That's what the name means: constant positive airway pressure. What you might be experiencing is the change from epap to ipap or vice versa. It can sometimes be difficult to exhale against the pressure, especially if the machine settings aren't appropriate.

Rest assured you can't die from this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.