Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
RE: this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
Mornin' xx,

Each one of us seems to go through a different initiation process when we start cpap. First, follow the suggestions from the following posts regarding Sleepy Head and post some data. You will get some very good support following that. 

How long have you actually used the machine? How many nights and how many hours? It will also help move things along if you have sleep study data to share (blanking out personal information). You are entitled to a copy of any sleep study that has been done so get that if you do not have it as well as c copy of the doctor's Rx for your machine. Put these items in your file.

Stick with it and stick with this forum, you will be pleased with the result.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 08:03 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You sound like a good candidate for the Resmed P10 pillows mask.  It's the most minimal of all masks, and can really alleviate that sense of claustrophobia.  Good luck with the therapy.  Imagining you can't breathe is better than being unable to.

not claustrophobia

it is getting jolted awake as if hitting a brick wall and then finding there is no air in the mask

i have to breathe through my mouth when that happens
then i can use the mask to breathe again 

but when i fall asleep again 
jolted awake with that brick wall again
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get around to posting your data, we can probably visualize this. Chances are it is a clear airway apnea during sleep transition. It would really help to see what is happening, and what your complete machine settings are. You have a Vauto and aren't even touching the capabilities of that machine to make you more comfortable, assuming you're running it at fixed pressure of 14/11. Are you using ramp? Would like to help you, but you're not making it easy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
XXYZX, all you need to do is remove the SD data card from your machine, slide the switch to lock so that your operating system will not write data to the card then insert the memory card into a card reader that is plugged into your computer. If you downloaded and installed Sleepyhead beforehand you just need to tell it where to pull the data from. Then import the data into Sleepyhead. As mentioned before, you can use the links at the bottom to find info on how to download Sleepyhead software and how to organize your data to make it possible for people here to help you.

I would not discount the help the experienced folks here like Sleeprider are offering. They have helped many others (including myself) here on the boards to make meaningful settings to their machines to make the therapy far more effective and far, far more comfortable than the help you would likely get going to your DME at the sleep centre. This has been proven over and over many times.

They can help you, but you will have to do your part to for them to be able to help. Trust me when I say the effort will be worthwhile. You don't want to just give up on CPAP. It very likely will affect your quality of life as well as your life expectancy if you quit. I would very much encourage you to stick with it and get the help you need from the fine folks on the forums here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto the above.

Certainly a DME or sleep dr would likely be saying the same to you (as you said), BUT they should (same as here) be getting your data and figuring out WHY this is happening so they can make the proper adjustments to make this work for you. This is what Sleeprider et al here are offering to help you with, and they have the expertise to make you successful. :heart:
Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy xxyzx, welcome to Apnea Board!

I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but getting used to CPAP can definitely be frustrating and untreated sleep apnea can do long-term damage to your heart.  It does take a bit of time and effort to get everything set for optimized treatment.  So it's best just to resign yourself to the fact that you will be living with this machine for the rest of your life and realize that if you're willing to calmly and methodically take control of your own therapy (and coordinate with your doctor as well), you'll be much more satisfied with your machine.

I'll reiterate what others have said:  Whether this is your fault or the machine's fault or the DME's fault is largely irrelevant--  You believe there's a problem with the machine and folks here can't help you solve that problem without knowing specifically what's going on with your machine.  We need to be able to view and analyse the machine's data to know for sure, which is why you really need to download #SleepyHead.

Get a few nights of data with that software, and then post a chart here in this thread.

Info:

Get SleepyHead here:
https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Then:

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

For more detailed info on how to use SleepyHead, go here:

#RobySue

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 11:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: When you get around to posting your data, we can probably visualize this.  Chances are it is a clear airway apnea during sleep transition.  It would really help to see what is happening, and what your complete machine settings are.  You have a Vauto and aren't even touching the capabilities of that machine to make you more comfortable, assuming you're running it at fixed pressure of 14/11.  Are you using ramp?  Would like to help you, but you're not making it easy.

tried ramp with different settings
tried humidity
any other setting they let me  have experimented with

only used it twice
getting smacked in the face with a brick wall and finding no air in the mask 3 times in a row was enough
i pulled the plug and got a good nights sleep

so far this machine has kept me awake not help me sleep

they locked down capability that should have been on initially
have to see the dr to get them to change it

of course i cuold try it but i have the appt and will see what happens
really going to push for the ASV as this one does not seem able to work with me
i have slow shallow and irregular breathing which it cant sync to assuming it tried to do that at all
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV is a great machine if you need it, but it would surprise me if you qualify. You would need to be diagnosed with central apnea, and demonstrate that you failed CPAP or BiPAP, then be titrated on a bilevel with backup rate (ASV or ST).

There is always air in the mask. When removed from your face it air should be blowing pretty hard unless the machine shut down. I have been through power outages where the machine shut down, and it wakes me up since there is more resistance to breathing, but it can't be described as a brick wall. Having slow, shallow and irregular breathing can be a problem, but it's manageable. Your machine can be adjusted to modify the inspiration time to a longer period (Ti). The default is a short 1.2 seconds, but mine is set for 2.3, and you can go as long as 3.0 seconds. This keeps IPAP pressure in place longer. If you are not initiating a breath (central apnea) then IPAP will not begin, so this is the scenario we wanted to check in the data. It may feel like no air in the mask, but rather than panicking, take a breath. If you can do it with the mask off, you can do it with it on.

Trust me, it's your choice whether this works. Your system is not "locked down" and it's probably a good bet your doctor is not even aware of the Ti setting. As far as syncing to breathing, the Aircurve 10 Vauto follows your breathing. There is always at least EPAP pressure (11 cm), but IPAP pressure does not begin until you initiate the inhale. Was central apnea noted in your sleep test or titration study? Do you have the reports?

Best of luck at your appointment. Would still like you to succeed, but not using the machine, and not attempting to overcome these difficulties does not help you, your doctor or us to make corrections. Instead it usually leads to a conclusion "patient did not tolerate CPAP or bilevel and opted out of therapy".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 08:47 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: You have mentioned the "air being sucked out of the mask".  This can't happen - the system is under constant positive pressure. That's what the name means: constant positive airway pressure. What you might be experiencing is the change from epap to ipap or vice versa. It can sometimes be difficult to exhale against the pressure, especially if the machine settings aren't appropriate.

Rest assured you can't die from this.

i said it felt like the air was sucked out
i could not breathe through my nose when i was jolted awake
had to breathe through my mouth
then i could breathe normally again 

it was not exhale problem
i had that in the lab test
and supposedly they allowed for that

as i said i could not inhale at all 
it was if there were no air in the mask
Post Reply Post Reply
xxyzx, A couple of questions:  Can you breathe through your nose when the mask is off and your mouth is closed?  When you were jolted awake and pulled the mask off, was there air coming out of the mask?  Have you tried sitting up and doing something else like reading, listening to music, watching TV, while wearing your mask with the machine turned on?

You need to experience how the machine works.  And if it is not working, you need to return it to your DME and get one that does work.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.