Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
RE: this thing wakes me up - suggestions please - can not sleep at all with it
(04-05-2017, 07:59 AM)xxyzx Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 02:34 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: At the risk of sounding sarcastic, but this is a genuine thought (because I did it the first night I used my Dreamstation rental machine when I was first trialed with one).

You did actually turn the machine on?
Not just push the button that shows the menu options and most recent data? 
(not personally familiar with your type of machine, but am assuming it has a similar operating method to my Dreamstation as far as multiple buttons are concerned)

However, on the plus side of things, you will get used to it once everything is fine tuned to your personal treatment needs. 

It took me several weeks before I was settled in with mine- part of it is getting your mind and body to accept it, the other part is the little adjustments to the machine and mask to get it all right for you.

yes

the machine was on
with short  ramp i could not breathe
with long ramp i fell asleep but the machine kept jolting me awake as if i hit a brick wall and the air was sucked out of the mask

i slept and breathed better without the machine 

how do you get used to being slammed into a brick wall every time you fall asleep 

you sound like the DME seller and their advice 
they keep blaming me
i say this machine is set wrong or more likely i need an ASV not a bipap set to fixed standard mode

I'm not blaming you... I mentioned a possibility because I tried to start my loan machine with the wrong button the first night I used it at home, it is an easy thing to do when not familiar with a CPAP machine. 

The machine doesn't suck air out of the mask, it only blows air in.
It will blow air either at a constant pressure, or a variable pressure, depending on the machine and how it is set to operate.

From what you are describing, it sounds as if the machine is set wrong, is faulty, or is not the right type of machine for your condition (or the mask you have is not a CPAP mask).

You will get a lot of valuable advice and information from the members here, provide concise and specific information regarding your machine- mask- settings- and relate what effects using the machine has on you in "unemotional" terminology so people can get a clearer picture of what is actually happening. 

Hang in there, you will manage to get it sorted out.. either with settings, or a new or "correct" machine for your needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2017, 12:22 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 07:59 AM)xxyzx Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 02:34 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: At the risk of sounding sarcastic, but this is a genuine thought (because I did it the first night I used my Dreamstation rental machine when I was first trialed with one).

You did actually turn the machine on?
Not just push the button that shows the menu options and most recent data? 
(not personally familiar with your type of machine, but am assuming it has a similar operating method to my Dreamstation as far as multiple buttons are concerned)

However, on the plus side of things, you will get used to it once everything is fine tuned to your personal treatment needs. 

It took me several weeks before I was settled in with mine- part of it is getting your mind and body to accept it, the other part is the little adjustments to the machine and mask to get it all right for you.

yes

the machine was on
with short  ramp i could not breathe
with long ramp i fell asleep but the machine kept jolting me awake as if i hit a brick wall and the air was sucked out of the mask

i slept and breathed better without the machine 

how do you get used to being slammed into a brick wall every time you fall asleep 

you sound like the DME seller and their advice 
they keep blaming me
i say this machine is set wrong or more likely i need an ASV not a bipap set to fixed standard mode

I'm not blaming you... I mentioned a possibility because I tried to start my loan machine with the wrong button the first night I used it at home, it is an easy thing to do when not familiar with a CPAP machine. 

The machine doesn't suck air out of the mask, it only blows air in.
It will blow air either at a constant pressure, or a variable pressure, depending on the machine and how it is set to operate.

From what you are describing, it sounds as if the machine is set wrong, is faulty, or is not the right type of machine for your condition (or the mask you have is not a CPAP mask).

You will get a lot of valuable advice and information from the members here, provide concise and specific information regarding your machine- mask- settings- and relate what effects using the machine has on you in "unemotional" terminology so people can get a clearer picture of what is actually happening. 

Hang in there, you will manage to get it sorted out.. either with settings, or a new or "correct" machine for your needs.

i agree the machine is not set right for me
and more likely it is the wrong machine

all i read says i need an ASV 

others have talked abuot getting smacked in the face
what i had was that on steroids
too bad they didnt say what caused it or why
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 12:44 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Howdy xxyzx, welcome to Apnea Board!

I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but getting used to CPAP can definitely be frustrating and untreated sleep apnea can do long-term damage to your heart.  It does take a bit of time and effort to get everything set for optimized treatment.  So it's best just to resign yourself to the fact that you will be living with this machine for the rest of your life and realize that if you're willing to calmly and methodically take control of your own therapy (and coordinate with your doctor as well), you'll be much more satisfied with your machine.

I'll reiterate what others have said:  Whether this is your fault or the machine's fault or the DME's fault is largely irrelevant--  You believe there's a problem with the machine and folks here can't help you solve that problem without knowing specifically what's going on with your machine.  We need to be able to view and analyse the machine's data to know for sure, which is why you really need to download [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url].

Get a few nights of data with that software, and then post a chart here in this thread.

Info:

Get SleepyHead here:
https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Then:

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

For more detailed info on how to use SleepyHead, go here:

RobySue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Smile
thanks to you and the others for trying to help

i have not used it enough to have data that is useful

i eased into it slowly to make sure i was doing it all correctly
adding more every day 

learning to breath while resting  
adjusting mask yada yada
seeing what controls i can set and try various numbers for ramp etc

finally the first night i kept hitting the brick wall 
3 times and i quit

next night one more try
could not get to sleep could not breathe at the rate the machine was forcing me to
quit

i have a doctors appointment
but i bagged up the gear and will return it asap

either i get an ASV to try 
or i give up completely 
but not being tortured
i got less sleep messing around with that device 

as to AHC which i guess is a DME they were counterproductive
they claim to want to help
but all they do is send reminders to use it 4 hours or else
and when you call they say its my fault and i have to adapt to the machine

sorry but that machine will have to adjust to me
my breathing rate and depth slow down when i sleep
and i cant keep breathing frequently and long like the machine wants

i am NOT talking about PRESSURE which is the only thing their lady with an alphabet of initials after her name can talk abuot
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 11:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: When you get around to posting your data, we can probably visualize this.  Chances are it is a clear airway apnea during sleep transition.  It would really help to see what is happening, and what your complete machine settings are.  You have a Vauto and aren't even touching the capabilities of that machine to make you more comfortable, assuming you're running it at fixed pressure of 14/11.  Are you using ramp?  Would like to help you, but you're not making it easy.

i have tried ramp
think that is part of the problem

long ramp fall asleep and get jolted awake with that brick wall
slow ramp and cant breathe as the machine does not sync to me and my rep rate and my inhale length
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but... You will not be able to get any meaningful advice until you post your data with Sleepyhead software. Making this work for you is in your own self interest. It's your health that is at stake here...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi xxyzx,

Posting even the very small amount of data you already have in your machine would be very helpful.

It would require a small investment of your time, to download the free SH software and to use SH to download data from the SD card, and then to post the data.

I hope you will invest the effort needed to do this, because whether using an ASV machine or the very excellent machine you've currently packed up again, you will want to obtain best results, and best results cannot be achieved unless someone (you or this forum or an RT or a doctor) is looking closely at the data.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:i have a doctors appointment
but i bagged up the gear and will return it asap

either i get an ASV to try 
or i give up completely

There won't be a ASV, so we know how this ends.  Good luck.  We tried.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 184 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 304 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.