Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] trying out different masks
trying out different masks
Hello!
New to cpap and apnea board. been using my cpap for 17 days now. have a nasal pillow mask and think it's going pretty well, but would like to try out other masks and types. How do i go about doing that? i see many websites selling masks, but how do you know what to pick? i want a place i can go to and try them on before i buy. i was thinking there would be a medical supply store where i could go, but no luck in finding one. With masks being so $$$, i can't imagine ordering a bunch and then not liking them and being stuck with them.

i go back for my 30-days check-up with my sleep doctor soon and I know he has masks, but only a few.

just wondering what everyone else does.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: trying out different masks
I use a Fischer and Pakel Simplus mask, very soft deal around my face, minimal leaks. I use a full face mask because my mouth opens when I lay on my back and I really hate nasal masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 01:38 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: I use a Fischer and Pakel Simplus mask, very soft deal around my face, minimal leaks. I use a full face mask because my mouth opens when I lay on my back and I really hate nasal masks.
My experience is exactly the same as brianwood610 except I wear a chinstrap with my Simplus to discourage myself from swallowing air (aerophagia). I hate nasal masks because anything near my nose gives me a claustrophobic sensation. The Simplus is nice and roomy inside which I like.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 01:17 PM)sleepybeagle Wrote: Hello!
New to cpap and apnea board. been using my cpap for 17 days now. have a nasal pillow mask and think it's going pretty well, but would like to try out other masks and types. How do i go about doing that? i see many websites selling masks, but how do you know what to pick? i want a place i can go to and try them on before i buy. i was thinking there would be a medical supply store where i could go, but no luck in finding one. With masks being so $$$, i can't imagine ordering a bunch and then not liking them and being stuck with them.

i go back for my 30-days check-up with my sleep doctor soon and I know he has masks, but only a few.

Thanks!

Is your pressure really 4? You could use just about any mask and get a seal at 4 cm-H2O.

Don't know where you're located; but the larger DMEs often have a variety of masks that you can at least try in their office.

But, the real test is in-situ at your home.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepybeagle,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are able to easily breath through your nose, and you are able to keep your mouth closed (i.e., prevent excessive leaks even if you must wear a chinstrap), and you have a comfortable nasal pillow mask then STOP.

You don't need to try a different type.

If you meet these criteria then likely that is the most comfortable mask you will find.

If you like you nasal pillow mask, then DO consider trying a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask -- there's one more caveat for THIS mask:

The headgear must be a good fit for you since it is only minimally adjustable -- BUT it is the lightest and quietest mask with the best exhaust (almost unnoticeable) IF you can use it.

Almost every who tries it (and CAN use it) says it's the best they have tried.

If you aren't one of the lucky ones with a head that fits the headgear on the Airfit P10, then consider trying the F & P Pilairo Q. (there is an older version but it doesn't have a 'Q').

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 11:32 PM)herbm Wrote: The headgear must be a good fit for you since it is only minimally adjustable -- BUT it is the lightest and quietest mask with the best exhaust (almost unnoticeable) IF you can use it.

The F&P Zest Q nasal mask has a very quiet and almost unnoticeable exhaust too. The mask is comfortable, light, and seals easily. The only reason I could not use it was because I could not stop the leaks through my mouth even with a chin strap.

Best Regards,

PayotnA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton,

How to the F&P Pilairo Q and the F&P Zest Q compare or relate? What's the difference? Is the Zest also a nasal pillow mask?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb,

The F&P Zest Q is a regular nasal mask ie. a normal mask that covers only the nose. It covers from the upper lip to the bridge of the nose and the base of the nose from side to side.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 01:17 PM)sleepybeagle Wrote: Hello!

Thanks!

Check the yellow pages for oxygen or nebulizer suppliers. Or call the doc office and ask them who they recommend. A DME is a Distributor of Medical Equipment, usually reusable equipment such as CPAP stuff, wheelchairs, and the like. You can also try just Google your town's name and CPAP or sleep apnea to see what comes up.

After you find someone (hopefully more than one), you ask them what their mask trial policy is. Most allow you to try a mask at home for a while, usually a week or so, then you return it and try another.

Nasal pillows are the most simplistic and light weight. In terms of those, you have one of the best available. You might like the Swift LT.

Nasal masks can be a little harder to fit without trying one on first. If you end up ordering one online, make sure it has several sizes of cushions in the box.

Full face masks are for those who breathe with their mouth open at night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 152 11 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,733 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 513 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 441 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 520 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 522 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 450 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.