Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] will not adjust
will not adjust
I have a respironics bipapauto Bi-flex machine. I have read how to go into the setup mode and have tried that many times but nothing changes. I wanted to go to the CPAP mode but it seems like the machine is locked and I can't make any changes. Is this because i got the machine thru my medical insurance (Kaiser). It shows on the screen that I have made the changes but it seems to totally ignore what I have done and continues with the same pressure, bipap mode etc. that I got when I was given the machine. I have never talked to Kaiser about changing the settings but they do say that once I have the machine it is mine and even if I change medical insurance I don't have to give it back or pay for it. I want to change because the Bipap mode does not work for me as well as the Cpap mode. I thought it would work better for me but I was wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: will not adjust
Hello jimM and welcome

My guess, the machine do not accept any changes while the SD card is in the machine as the settings is locked on the card and always revert back to the old settings

Either remove the SD card and make your changes or get a new SD card
Cards are cheap, not necessary to get Respironcis card or big card, 1GB or 2GB card will do the job
Post Reply Post Reply
It is my understanding that the SD card only records events. But, just in case I have tried to change the program with the SD card out, changing the little slide switch on the side of the SD card and then trying to change the program. All the different permutations I can think of with no results
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jimM,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not able to help you with your settings but,hopefully you will be able to get your machine set up the way you want it.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Take the SD card out; make your changes on the machine and then re-install the SD card. If that doesn't work; buy a new SD card and start over. Question: You did obtain and follow the instructions in the Clinician's Manual for your machine, right?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said, been there done that. That is removing the SD card and tried to reprogram. I emailed Philips but they said because it was a prescription they could not help me. Again it is my understanding that the SD card does not control the machines programming but just records all your sleeping events. the machine will run without the SD card in it. I pulled off the SD cover plate and you can see additional connections can be made to the back of the machine and I think that is where the sleep tech. programs the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The SD card may be preventing your adjustment from working. The DME can use the Encore program to put new pressure settings on the card. When the card is then put into the machine, it will set the settings to what is written on the card. The card can be set to reprogram your machine only one time, or it can be set to reprogram your machine every time you turn the machine on.

I forget the exact timing on which the card will rewrite the machine. It may be every time you start the machine, or it may be every time you insert the card into the machine. The point is that it may be set to overwrite your settings over and over.

This has nothing to do with the write protect switch on the card.

To test this out, remove the SD card from your machine and put it on a shelf somewhere. Don't put the old card back into your machine.

Then change the settings on your machine and see if they stick. If you want to record your data, you will need to use another SD card or format your old card in your PC to eliminate the old settings.

(11-13-2014, 07:38 PM)jimM Wrote: Again it is my understanding that the SD card does not control the machines programming but just records all your sleeping events. the machine will run without the SD card in it. I pulled off the SD cover plate and you can see additional connections can be made to the back of the machine and I think that is where the sleep tech. programs the machine.

Your understanding is wrong. The SD card can optionally be set to control the machine settings and override changes you make.

There are also wireless modems on the back of some machines that can override your settings. You probably don't have one because I think it covers up the SD card slot.

If you take the card out, and don't have a wireless modem, you should be able to change your settings. If you put a new SD card in, you should retain your control. Any normal SD or SDHC card 2 GB or above should work.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally would just take out the card, put it in a PC and format it. Program the machine with the card out, and then put the card in.

Might I ask why you think the CPAP is better than using the BiPAP? Or actually the BiPap Auto? Just wondering as I switched from CPAP to Bilevel Auto and it is way better for me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 01:21 AM)Galactus Wrote: Might I ask why you think the CPAP is better than using the BiPAP? Or actually the BiPap Auto? Just wondering as I switched from CPAP to Bilevel Auto and it is way better for me.

Yes but we all know that you are different. You are not the same like R_G. Laugh-a-lot

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe if I had the ability to adjust the Bipap I could get used to it. I donot like the pressure increase when it detects an air leak and I also found myself waking up because I had been mouth breathing and my mouth was so dry I could not even swallow. I have taken out the SD card and then tried to reprogram the machine, I have then started the machine without the SD card and it still has not changed. I did not say that CPAP is better than BIPAP I said it worked better for me. Maybe I have not given the BIPAP enough of a chance but I hate waking up with that dry mouth. Thank you all for your advise. I will keep trying. This is sort of like the first time I picked up my machine, years ago. I found myself in a room with many other people who had the same problem (apnea). That was encouraging to know I was not alone. And am continually amazed at how many people use CPAP, BIPAP and how it has sort of come out of the closet and it is commonly talked about now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 290 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 65 7,069 09-09-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 603 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,378 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help me understand / adjust Aircurve10 ASV vs S9VPAP settings patrickbrem 2 373 08-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: patrickbrem
  Is it time to adjust up or down? SleeplessNSeattle 1 454 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can’t adjust to nasal mask HRU1923 6 918 06-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: HRU1923

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.