Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] without prescription
without prescription
Having learned about Auto CPAP on this forum and site I am very anxious to purchase one. Unfortunately I am between coverages right now and would need to purchase it without a prescription. Anyone know how this could be done? Canada maybe? Or Mexico?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: without prescription
(01-16-2013, 11:02 AM)mcbre1 Wrote: Having learned about Auto CPAP on this forum and site I am very anxious to purchase one. Unfortunately I am between coverages right now and would need to purchase it without a prescription. Anyone know how this could be done? Canada maybe? Or Mexico?

Certainly not here in Canada.
You can try buying a used one from a user who is upgrading, or who died or something morbid like that. I would have loved to sell my Tranquility Quest but nobody in their right mind would want it so I just tossed it.

On the up side, my wife is very angry with me regarding the radio interference from the ClimateLine hose. She officially forbids me to use it citing that her sanity is more important than my health. What this means is that this brand new hose for use with the ResMed S9 line with a $70 value (Canadian) I'll send it off free to a good home.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are getting too much RF interference from your ClimateLine hose,
you can always cover it with a copper braided sheath that is connected to a solid earth ground.

hmm...naw, that'd be too expensive.

Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Any doctor can write the prescription for the machine and mask. It does not have to be a sleep doctor.

You can also try Craigslist. There's almost always a CPAP available there.

No matter which way you go, because you cannot get a sleep study, you really need to get a data capable machine. An autoPAP would be the best option. With the data and especially with the autoPAP, you can self-titrate. Someone wrote up which machines fit this but I don't know the link. Perhaps someone else does?

Then there's the question of how do you know you have sleep apnea?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2013, 01:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Then there's the question of how do you know you have sleep apnea?
I have an outdated prescription for the the machine that is now . I have had several sleep studies done. The latest was about 6 years ago. I had a scrip for supplies that ran out last month. I couldn't buy the machine with it though. Even though I was trying to get the Auto CPAP the doctor insisted that I needed another sleep study.Thanks

(01-16-2013, 12:51 PM)Ugly Wrote: [quote='mcbre1' pid='27397' dateline='1358352123']

On the up side, my wife is very angry with me regarding the radio interference from the ClimateLine hose.

So the S9 has some kind of wiring running down to the face mask?Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mcbre1 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck getting a different machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
(01-16-2013, 02:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi mcbre1 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck getting a different machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
No wiring in the mask, just the optional ClimateLine air hose that can be used with the H5i humidifier. The Climateline has a wire heating element embedded on the inside along the length of the hose that heats the inside wall of the hose to prevent condensation of the humidified air inside the hose (rain out).

I've seen on some on-line supplier web sites that they offer home sleep studies (or links to companies that do) and that they have a way to provide a prescription if home sleep study warrants. I'm not sure how much this would cost, but I got a home sleep study that was set up by my Doc. and I think I saw on my Insurance Explanation of benefits that it cost about $300.00.

Supplier #4 on the forum suppliers list has something on their home page about home sleep studies. It's a little ways down the page in a sidebox on the left that says, "Don't want to got to a Sleep Lab study?" You can click on that and check it out.

I'm not necessarily recommending this, I just want you to know it's out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2013, 01:48 PM)mcbre1 Wrote: I have an outdated prescription for the the machine that is now . I have had several sleep studies done. The latest was about 6 years ago. I had a scrip for supplies that ran out last month. I couldn't buy the machine with it though. Even though I was trying to get the Auto CPAP the doctor insisted that I needed another sleep study.Thanks

Ask your doctor for a copy of your original prescription for your machine. He is required by law to give you a copy. It may still be valid for the purchase of a new machine despite your doctor's insistence that you get a new sleep study. CPAP prescriptions are generally for life (may be marked "99 months.") However you may not qualify for insurance reimbursement with an old prescription, and local DME's may refuse to honor it.

The online suppliers generally accept old prescriptions (click on the Supplier List at the top of the webpage). Secondwind gives good deals on used CPAP equipment, and they give outstanding service.

Edit: You can use any CPAP prescription to purchase an auto-CPAP from an online supplier, although they will set it to the fixed pressure on the prescription. You may need to request the clinician's manual from Apnea Board so you can set it to auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you on CPAP and have a presription for that? I have heard from people who find them on Craigs list and in the classifides, less often at yard sales. Unfortunately then there is the mask and tubing. Or do you have that? Good luck.\
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 792 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription for BiPAP DanEm 11 1,187 12-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to get a prescription - live in rural area Madison320 22 2,417 11-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Madison320

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.