Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ErElf (Therapy Thread)
ErElf (Therapy Thread)
I'm over a month into PAP treatment (Resmed AS11 Auto 8-18) for diagnosed mild OSA. My sleep is very poor and has progressively worsened over the past 10+ years. Generally, no problem getting to sleep, but I always wake after 2-4hrs. I now have some PAP OSCAR data.

Still trying to get used to the PAP so lots of issues (comfort, leakage, congestion, dry month) that I think will abate. But I am starting to see some general trends in the few minutes before I wake where I seem to have a bunch of breathing issues. Does anyone want to comment on what is going on with me? Is this a normal OSA pattern? Why are most of the events interpreted as CA or UA?

Somewhat typical night. 8/27, 11:10pm - 3am:
[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/b056e43c-30b7-4126-8fb1-b02b479145d5[/img]

Last 10 mins 8/27:
[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/4d4e78f7-b6c0-4f36-84a6-355833d3b0e3[/img]

Other similar nights: 8/28

[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/d17e1ff6-3935-4525-950c-55883c8ab530[/img]
9/3:
[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/8943e4c5-9f5b-4eb5-a894-ec5ec74bff72[/img]

9/4:[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/d7aefe3d-cbff-44f4-a332-887f7c1bdf02[/img]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Always wake after a few hours!
Hi ErElf! - welcome:

Please review this Wiki on posting images here. It will save you a lot of aggravation.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Confused and sad newbie...
I'm about 7 weeks into PAP treatment (Resmed AS11 Auto 8-18) for diagnosed mild OSA. My sleep is very poor and has progressively worsened over the past 10+ years. Generally, no problem getting to sleep, but I always wake after 2-4hrs. I now have some PAP OSCAR data.

Still trying to get used to the PAP so lots of issues (comfort, leakage, congestion, dry month) that I think will abate. But I am starting to see some general trends in the few minutes before I first wake where I seem to have a bunch of breathing issues. What is going on with me? Is this a normal OSA pattern? Why are most of the events interpreted as CA or UA and should I trust the machine's interpretation?

Crimson Nape directed me on how to inline images, but it seems I'm too new to be able to do so. 

Please see the attachments. 

Somewhat typical night. 8/27, 11:10pm - 3am: 
Zoom to last 10 minutes: 
3 similar pre-wake nights:

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much. I tried to edit but guess that I can't after someone responds or after some time period.

So I went ahead and reposted with hopes I could delete this thread, but guess I cannot do that either.

My new post is also a bit of a fail because I'm too new to post images inline...

Please don't ban me.

Please delete this thread if that is the right thing to do.

Thanks for the help with the forum.

Eric
Post Reply Post Reply
ErElf,
I have merged your two threads and changed the title, and did some cleanup.

Going forward, please use this thread for your questions and chart postings.
Thanks!

Also, we try not to delete threads that have information that may help others.

Please review this link for Organizing your chart and using the attachment feature for posting. Also the link above that Crimson Nape posted.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ErElf (Therapy Thread)
ErElf,

Also, when taking your screenshots please use the built in function in OSCAR.  For Windows it's F12, for Mac fn+F12, or use View > Take Screenshot. Your current screenshots are missing the left panel which contains valuable machine setting information.

There is also a link in my signature for organizing your charts which will show the preferred graph order for posting.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I'll reformat. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why do I always wake 2-4hrs after going to sleep? Here is one example:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=44443]

I'm about 7 weeks into PAP treatment (Resmed AS11 Auto 8-18) for diagnosed mild OSA. My sleep is very poor and has progressively worsened over the past 10+ years. Generally, no problem getting to sleep, but I always wake after 2-4hrs. I now have some PAP OSCAR data.

Still trying to get used to the PAP so lots of issues (comfort, leakage, congestion, dry month) that I think will abate. But I am starting to see some general trends in the few minutes before I first wake where I seem to have a bunch of breathing issues. What is going on with me? Is this a normal OSA pattern? Why are most of the events (in the short period prior to waking) interpreted as CA or UA and should I trust the machine's interpretation?

Interestingly, I went back and looked at my sleep study (Diagnostic Overnight Polysomnography), and I see a somewhat similar pre-waking event pattern. It is this sleep/wake pattern along with my consistent short and non-restorative nightly sleep, that has driven me to seek help.

I have not taken to using the PAP very well. I find it uncomfortable, and it seems to cause massive congestion and often dry mouth. But, I have used it EVERY SINGLE night since I got it. But, once I first wake, I generally do not try using it again. Often, I'm so congested it would not even work as I need to mouth breathe. Sometimes, headache. Sometimes, just wide awake, etc. I do think my toleration of it is very slowly getting better, and I have on occasion been able to put it back on.

I am starting to wonder if the PAP will ever help with my sleep. I do have some hope for it providing diagnostic information that will help determine what my underlying sleep problem is. Very hard to know where to turn to get help. I do think I have a smart and motivated sleep doctor, but as many have mentioned, they do not seem to have the time (or desire) to look at the details.

In my previous discussions with the dr, he said, "you will not die from mild sleep apnea." This really hit home with me because he did not understand the severity of my problem. With my sleep trend, I will not be able to "stay in the chat" unless something changes. Some relief really needs to be found. I'm motivated to figure this out. I am thankful that resources such as apneaboard exist. 

At 61 years old, I believe myself to be in excellent shape. I exercise every day and still do 10-mile walks and 100-mile bike rides. At 6' tall, my weight was a reasonable 180#, but knowing extra weight is an OSA risk factor, I'm working to get it back to my college weight of 160#. After ~4 months I'm down to about 173#.

I try to have excellent sleep hygiene. Common bedtime, bed routine, cool dark room, caffeine mostly in the morning, very limited alcohol, no interruptions, etc.

My general sleep pattern is 2-4 hours of sleep, followed by waking (not needing to pee), followed by an additional 2-4 hours of alternating between trying to sleep and tossing-turning. So, I have decided to focus on this first sleep period, because the following hours are a mess. Is that reasonable?

At this point, I have started to see the pattern described above in my OSCAR data were lots of breathing events just prior to my early waking. So I'm wondering, what is going on with me? Is this a normal OSA pattern? Why are most of the events (in the short period prior to waking) interpreted as CA or UA and should I trust the machine's interpretation?

Any help appreciated. Eric

Post Reply Post Reply
ErElf, any chance you can give us a view of your flow rate graph at a resolution of about 3-minutes. We should be able to see the individual wave forms. I suspect your flow limitation is under-reported in statistics and that we will see some flattened inspiration peaks. Your inspiration time is long compared to expiration, and that is why I suspect this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider - Thanks for taking a look! I really appreciate it!

Here are the last 12 minutes zoomed, which is the time period I'm currently trying to understand. I overlayed 3 on top of OSCAR, hope this is not confusing. Is this what you were asking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=44458]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,058 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 249 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,261 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,333 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,194 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.