Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Essential Oils into CPAP?
Essential Oils into CPAP?
Hi folks.

Has anybody tried a single drop of an essential oil in their CPAP machine?  My machine/setup is still new and smells like a medical factory.  But that aside, I thought maybe a drop of Eucalyptus Oil might help with any biofilm production, and a natural antiseptic for my head.  Since using this thing, even with a heated tube and humidifier, I've contracted some kind of nasal issue.  While probably not an infection, something indeed is going on.

Any insight?

Cheers
----
daBee in Toronto
Unit: MesRed AirSense 10 Nasal pillow | min 7 cm no ramp
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Essential Oils into CPAP?
I don't know the answer, but an interesting question!
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO adding "oil" airborne to a CPAP should not be done because some of the "oil" will deposit on the rotating portions of the CPAP. In turn the "dust" that gets by the filter will stick to the blower. This is not cleanable.

If you want to use it get an inline AB filter and add your essential oil there. The hose and mask are cleanable. the machine is not.

That said I have no knowledge on the use of essential oils administration at all. Mechanically
Post Reply Post Reply
I can see two potential problems, but they would be minor and perhaps not negate any other possible benefits:

a. if it truly is an 'oil', eucalyptus oil would denature, or go rancid, just like other oils.  It might get worse in water.  In fact, oils and fats saponify over time if exposed to water. If the eucalyptus doesn't go rancid, but the carrier medium does, it would amount to the same set of problems; and

b. no matter what happens with regard to point 'a' above, it would make cleaning a bit more of a challenge.  I can't say it might invite flora over time, or something worse, but you'd have a tougher time getting the interior of the vessel clear of leftover oils or waxes than if you just used water.

Even so, eucalyptus oil is known for helping with some respiratory problems, and it might be worth a trial.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.

Essential oils are an organic solvent with oils.  The amounts are minimal in solution so the amount in a single drop would be miniscule.  Still, the amount of oil would be somewhat volatile even in solution.  Cleaning solutions are used with these in mind.  

But I get the point about cleaning and introducing compounds to the machine.

Moving this application to the inside of a mask...this could be done.  I'll have to tinker and think about this one.  If it's groundbreaking, I will post here.  

Thanks for the input.
----
daBee in Toronto
Post Reply Post Reply
search for "cpap inline AB filter"
this device would make it easy to do what you want, just attach to the end of hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a sleep cap, or cpap cap. While I was looking ordering my latest one, I saw interesting things about using aromatherapy. search for cpap cap.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Generally, if an essential oil is desired, it is better to put it into the humidifier, or on a cotton ball next to the inlet. Personally, I think it's a bad idea, but if you must, then those are the methods that should avoid contaminating the pneumatic block.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To go downstream of the pressure generator is probably best, as all of that is replaced on a regular basis anyway.  Positive humid air flow would be the carrier.  

Might be onto something here.
----
daBee in Toronto
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no experience myself with aromatherapy. However, I use naturopathic products generally.
Years ago I found the company when I bought my first sleeping cap, instead of a chinstrap. I had trouble with fit because I bought too large. and they sent me a free smaller cap. I ordered a hose reel back then, and I'm using it again now, years later.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Essential oil adapter legrunt 6 723 09-06-2021, 03:17 AM
Last Post: StevesSp
  aromatherapy oils in cpap machine somnia16 26 22,735 03-23-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Doctor
Question Essential SH Settings DrAHI 4 3,329 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Essential Accessories jonesbc19 7 2,247 06-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Last Post: RedCoPete
  [CPAP] essential oils in the water tub lewisag 10 8,881 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Mich

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.