Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSet 10 Autoset, Dreamwear, F20 - first impressions
AirSet 10 Autoset, Dreamwear, F20 - first impressions
Following my discussion of treatment options, I told my sleep physician that I wanted to give APAP another try. Today I was issued an AirSet 10 Autoset machine for a one-week trial.

I requested a Brevida mask to try, but was told that my HMO doesn't use it. The choices for a mask with a nasal interface were Dreamwear or P10, and I went with the Dreamwear. In a brief tryout in the office, I tried both its nas-pil and nas-cushion nosepieces, and liked them both pretty well. The test will be to see if my nasal passages stay clear enough for this to work throughout the night. In my prior use of a PAP machine ~3 years ago, I tried a P10 but couldn't tolerate it for more than a short period. However, I've adopted treatments for nasal congestion since then that have seemed to have helped significantly, so I'm hoping this will do the trick. They gave me the Dreamwear nosepieces in size medium and said they weren't able to provide a fit kit per se.

At my request they also gave me an F20 full-face mask (in large) as a fallback in case the Dreamwear nosepieces are a no-go. During a brief office trial, the sensation of the F20 was much less pleasant than either of the Dreamwear nosepieces -- it felt like a lot more pressure against my face, even at 4 cm. Crossing my fingers I won't have to use it.

The tech said she thought I should be able to buy a Brevida mask from various vendors out there if I wanted to try that, and didn't think I'd need a prescription to buy masks. True?

Although the sleep physician ordered a heated tube, the tech said they didn't have any to provide today. So I'll be trying out a non-heated tube, but she said she can provide one at my return visit in one week if I want to use one. The sleep physician felt it might help with the chronic sinus infections I experienced during previous PAP machine use.

The tech said my trial machine is configured with pressure as 4-20 cm (seems wide?), and humidity set mid-range at 4. I'm sure I'll want to tweak these later, especially the pressure, but for now it's probably best to try it with their settings.

Now I'll have to download a fresh copy of Sleepyhead and figure out how to transfer data from the AirSense. I assume it has an SD card?

So: we'll see how it all goes. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'll be all ears.

xxxxx
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSet 10 Autoset, Dreamwear, F20 - first impressions
You do need a script to buy a complete mask. Just get a script from your HMO. Kaiser gave me a script for "choice of mask" or some such.

It is possible to buy all of the components for a complete mask separately without a script. Unlike guns, where a key part is always controlled, no specific individual part of a CPAP mask requires a prescription. However, it usually costs more to buy things piecemeal. So just get your HMO to give you a script.

Be sure to buy your mask from a vendor that offers "return insurance," such as "Vendor #1" (forum rules prohibit a direct link) if you don't like the mask. Most on-line vendors will not accept returns for opened items, especially things like masks. But some offer free or low fee "insurance" on select masks. Be sure to look up the requirements to return the mask. They are counting on you doing what I did and waiting too long to decide to return the mask if you don't like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Rx required to buy masks, and yes, getting the Rx from your doctor ASAP is recommended. It should be valid indefinitely; it's not like a drug prescription. Be sure that it's a generic CPAP/APAP Rx listing both the machine itself (insurance HCPCS code E0601) and at least one mask type, preferably as general as possible like the aforementioned "choice of mask", or maybe even a few types. Here are some HCPCS codes used for a few. I don't know whether this is complete. (In the list that I have, the mentions of "pillows" are replacement parts, not complete masks.)

A7027 Combination oral/nasal mask [hybrid]
A7030 Full face mask
A7034 Nasal or cannula type mask

It's likely that online retailers won't care about the details or restrict your purchases; they just want to be sure that you're legit and that you have e-mailed them a scan of the Rx for their files.

A lot of the vendors in the Supplier List here should have the Brevida in stock. It is fairly popular.

I think that building a mask from parts is too expensive to be practical, unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 04:01 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: The tech said my trial machine is configured with pressure as 4-20 cm (seems wide?), and humidity set mid-range at 4. I'm sure I'll want to tweak these later, especially the pressure, but for now it's probably best to try it with their settings.

Now I'll have to download a fresh copy of Sleepyhead and figure out how to transfer data from the AirSense. I assume it has an SD card?

So: we'll see how it all goes. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'll be all ears.

xxxxx

I eventually raised my lower pressure to 7, and lowered my upper pressure to 16
Relief at 2
Humidity set to Auto

Does your trial machine have the "for her" algorithm? If so, at least try it....works for me.

Yes, has an SD card....data transfer is easy
Post Reply Post Reply
With the F20 be sure you do not adjust the straps too tightly.  if you can't press the mask into your face under presser and get at least 1/4" or so of compression, it either is too tight or does not fit you.

I tried one and was amazed at how well it fit me. Essentially no leaks at all and quite comfortable.  If only I weren't so used to breathing though my nose and keeping my mouth shut from a decade of nasal mask.  Fortunately I found a very well fitting N20 mask works better for me.

Tim
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 04:50 AM)Pete G Wrote: I eventually raised my lower pressure to 7, and lowered my upper pressure to 16
Relief at 2
Humidity set to Auto

Does your trial machine have the "for her" algorithm? If so, at least try it....works for me.

With great advice here, I've fine-tuned my pressure range to 6-10cm, with relief set to 2, and this is working great. In my case, adding a Caldera Releaf cervical collar seems to make a critical positive difference. One night I forgot to put it on, and immediately noticed odd breathing events when I began drifting off.

What does the "for her" algorithm do?

(01-07-2019, 08:29 PM)grubstake Wrote: With the F20 be sure you do not adjust the straps too tightly.  if you can't press the mask into your face under presser and get at least 1/4" or so of compression, it either is too tight or does not fit you.

I tried one and was amazed at how well it fit me. Essentially no leaks at all and quite comfortable.  If only I weren't so used to breathing though my nose and keeping my mouth shut from a decade of nasal mask.  Fortunately I found a very well fitting N20 mask works better for me.

Actually, now that I have some issues with my nasal passages significantly improved, I'm really enjoying using the Dreamwear mask with nasal cushions. I do notice I still have a tendency to exhale through the mouth, but the cervical collar mentioned above seems to do a good job of preventing that.

I do think I'll hold on to the F20 mask to be prepared if I should ever get a real nasty cold and be unable to breathe through my nostrils at all. In that scenario I'd be mouth-breathing, but I'd be doing that anyway with plugged nasal passages whether using APAP or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 08:57 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 04:50 AM)Pete G Wrote: I eventually raised my lower pressure to 7, and lowered my upper pressure to 16
Relief at 2
Humidity set to Auto

With great advice here, I've fine-tuned my pressure range to 6-10cm, with relief set to 2, and this is working great. In my case, adding a Caldera Releaf cervical collar seems to make a critical positive difference. One night I forgot to put it on, and immediately noticed odd breathing events when I began drifting off.

What does the "for her" algorithm do?

(01-07-2019, 08:29 PM)grubstake Wrote: With the F20 be sure you do not adjust the straps too tightly.  if you can't press the mask into your face under presser and get at least 1/4" or so of compression, it either is too tight or does not fit you.

Actually, now that I have some issues with my nasal passages significantly improved, I'm really enjoying using the Dreamwear mask with nasal cushions. I do notice I still have a tendency to exhale through the mouth, but the cervical collar mentioned above seems to do a good job of preventing that.

I do think I'll hold on to the F20 mask to be prepared if I should ever get a real nasty cold and be unable to breathe through my nostrils at all. In that scenario I'd be mouth-breathing, but I'd be doing that anyway with plugged nasal passages whether using APAP or not.

The "for her" algorithm seems less aggressive....I would need to re-google it for official wording

I like my F20 as I have sinus issues.....in saying that when I trialled an N20 it was either really awesome, or totally nasty...again due to my sinuses
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 293 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Dreamwear/F30i Rebdr 1 512 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 581 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 715 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.