Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Eustaschian tube surgery for ear drainage
Question 
Eustaschian tube surgery for ear drainage
I have major ear drainage caused by pressure from my CPAP.  I also have tubes in both ears.  My ENT wants to do ear surgery to completely close off my eustaschian tubes so the CPAP cannot be force air into my middle ear.  Has anyone had this procedure and if so, how did it work? 

I am a bit nervous about having this done, as any fluid in my ear would then have to exit via the tube in the ear drum. Also will the tubes in the ear drums allow good pressure equalization, like when flying?  Also, what happens if a tubes in my ears becomes plugged with earwax?  Please respond if you know anything about this procedure.   I have not been able to find any information on line about it.  There is a lot of info about surgery to open up a closed eustachian tube, but I have not found any info on permanently closing off a eustachian tubes.  Comments anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Eustaschian tube surgery for ear drainage
It may be the best course of action. It sounds like it will fix the pressured muck not draining. As you know that isn't what most people encounter on cpap.
Depending on the severity of it this month. I'm going to sound like a tree hugging anti-vacc, but I don't mean to.
It seems most ear infections are viral caused. Some ear issues are cause by antibiotics upsetting the balance of good and bad bugs in the ear. Google snorting probiotic powder from capsules. To get the right bugs in your sinus and then into tubes. It will cost nothing, you will know in a month if it worked.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't seem to have any ear drainage or ear infections when I am not using my CPAP.  But, put me on CPAP and my ears are pouring fluid!  I mean slime up my pillow, and run down the side of my neck draining.
Post Reply Post Reply
eeew
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 08:00 PM)Sam Wallis Wrote: I don't seem to have any ear drainage or ear infections when I am not using my CPAP.  But, put me on CPAP and my ears are pouring fluid!  I mean slime up my pillow, and run down the side of my neck draining.

UCK!  I don't like the sound of that.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, it is no  good.  I really don't like to think of surgery to prevent the drainage though.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sam Wallis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not familiar with that particular surgery.
Hopefully, you find a solution to your problem so you can have better success with your CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things go for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding is that this is a rare procedure without a lot of study or experience to document its efficacy or side-effects. I found very little about it. I would certainly obtain a second opinion from a qualified ENT to see if any other ideas shake loose, or this is the preferred course. Many people have myringotomy tubes in their ears, but it is rarely something that must be maintained for a life time. This procedure would mean you will be subject to repeated surgeries and anesthesia to maintain those tubes.

In your other thread, I suggested you might look into the INSPIRE therapy which implants an electrode in the soft palate tissue. I don't normally consider that approach superior to CPAP, but in your case, I might make an exception.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will keep you posted.  Today I have an appointment with my regular ENT dr and I will talk to him about the surgery the ENT surgeon wants to do.  I will post what he says for you all.  I, so far, have not heard of anyone who is familiar with surgery to block the eustachian tubes.  Maybe my regular doctor will have heard of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sam, ask about the INSPIRE therapy option.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 6 110 7 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 6 129 11 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,124 Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 239 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 147 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 227 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 155 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.