Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Events Hierarchy
Events Hierarchy
So I was just playing around with the Sleepyhead data in Excel and it got me to wondering if there is a hierarchy of events. Is an OA more serious than a CA? I did some searching on the site but did not find much information. Maybe I'm searching using the wrong terms. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Events Hierarchy
This is probably not the answer you want, but any event that causes a loss of O2 or disruption of sleep serious no matter what you call it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Walla Walla on this, and I'm also concerned about the length of apnea.  You can have an OA event that gets taken care of by the pressure ramping up to open the airway, but not so with CA event, unless you have an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is that AHI is a good rough indicator of the severity of sleep apnea. I don't think there really is any significant difference between a OA or CA in impact on your overall health. An apnea is a period of time without any respiration.  If you want to pick one indicator to follow, I would suggest Total Time in Apnea. SleepyHead reports that number, at least with a ResMed machine, and I think that is a better indicator than AHI or any specific component of AHI, like OA, CA, or H. 

Now that is from the perspective of damage from apnea. If you are looking for a number to use to determine how well you have your CPAP optimized then it is a different matter. A CPAP is not going to have a huge effect on the number of CA's, but it does on OA and H. If you have to pick one number to focus on for optimization, I would suggest the OA portion of AHI. 

Just my thoughts...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 06:47 PM)Hojo Wrote: I'm with Walla Walla on this, and I'm also concerned about the length of apnea.  You can have an OA event that gets taken care of by the pressure ramping up to open the airway, but not so with CA event, unless you have an ASV.
This.
Also keep in mind that many logged CA events are actually non-events.
My AHI often reports 0.6-0.9 due to CA events in the late morning when I am drifting in and out while deciding whether to get up.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,312 Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 192 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 204 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 110 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 153 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,551 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 377 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.