Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Events Per Hour
Events Per Hour
Good afternoon,

I have started my therapy with an auto sense 10 for a few weeks now. Except a few nights, no matter what my usage hours my events per hour  is 5/5. I have two questions please.

1- How would I know my events per hour are NOT more than 5, when the report's MAX is 5, and mine are 5/5?

2- In case  this is not a problem, why am I getting High scores with congratulations, and a few times a silver badge even?!

Please advise, and Thank you sincerely.  Alan P
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Events Per Hour
If you are using the ResMed software (ResScan), the AHI point system is based on the following:

Events per hour.......Points
0 - 6..........................5
7 - 9..........................4
10 - 12.......................3
13 - 15.......................2
16 - 18.......................1
19 or more..................0

You had 6 or less events per hour.
The SleepyHead software is much better at showing you all the details.

The ResScan software seems to put a lot of weight on your hourly usage and not so much on your AHI number. Also, a lot of weight is put on whether you keep the mask on all night without removing it. Both of these would contribute to your getting "awards" as you are in compliance of using the machine at least so many hours required each night for insurance.

Again, the SleepyHead software is much better, IMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2017, 06:07 PM)RichardVT     Thanks very much Richard! Then based on your experience I\m doing good?! Wrote: If you are using the ResMed software (ResScan), the AHI point system is based on the following:

Events per hour.......Points
0 - 6..........................5
7 - 9..........................4
10 - 12.......................3
13 - 15.......................2
16 - 18.......................1
19 or more..................0

You had 6 or less events per hour.  
The SleepyHead software is much better at showing you all the details.

The ResScan software seems to put a lot of weight on your hourly usage and not so much on your AHI number.  Also, a lot of weight is put on whether you keep the mask on all night without removing it.  Both of these would contribute to your getting "awards" as you are in compliance of using the machine at least so many hours required each night for insurance.

Again, the SleepyHead software is much better, IMHO.

Thanks so very much Richard!  Then based on your experience I 'm doing good ?!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead will give so much more information. It will help us help you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi looks61,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2017, 06:26 PM)looks61 Wrote:
Thanks so very much Richard!  Then based on your experience I 'm doing good ?!

I've only been a hose head for about five months.  All I can say is, when ResScan was telling me my AHI was good (i.e. <6), I was aware that I was still having numerous throat closings throughout the night, so I worked on increasing my minimum pressure until I got to 14 CM which, on many nights now, results in less than 1 AHI.  I seem to hover right around 1 AHI or less. 

Attached is a screenshot of my ResScan smartphone app showing my AHI for the past nine days.  I don't think I could get it much better than this.

I don't care anymore if I need to remove the mask numerous times throughout the night as I get up to take Advil most nights and many times just removing the Pap-Cap and mask for even just a few minutes feels good.  So, the main ResScan index number doesn't phase me in the least.  I do monitor the ResScan to see how many hours I have slept each night as I tend to sleep about ten hours nightly.  Most recently, that has been dropping to between 8.5 and 10. 

Of course, the real test is how we feel.  It took me using the APAP going on five months and I am just about now beginning to feel more alert throughout most of the day, whereas before I felt like I was walking around in a fog and would lay down up to about five times daily.  Now, I don't lay down at all most days.

I would say, if your AHI is greater than about two, there is likely room for improvement, but only your body can tell you how good you feel and if the CPAP is working for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Richard and Looks, are you sure you're talking about Resscan?  This is Resmed's full strength software for clinical analysis and patient management. I think what you are referring to is MyAir, which is a decidedly inferior product.

In my view #Sleepyhead is the way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 07:54 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Richard and Looks, are you sure you're talking about Resscan?  ......I think what you are referrkng to is MyAir, whjch is a decidedly inferior product.

Yes, sorry for any confusion, I am referring to MyAir, you are correct.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 332 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 175 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 762 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.