Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ever felt like a dummy?
Ever felt like a dummy?
Twice in the past month I pushed the START button on my Resmed, went to sleep, woke up and discovered I hadn't pushed START sufficiently to start the machine.  Wonder how my Apnea did those nights?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ever felt like a dummy?
You could always turn on Smart Start. That way when your CPAP detects breathing it will automatically turn on.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup......SmartStart is the way to go.  Agreed

Oh yeah, in regards to ever feeling like a dummy? Been there......done that!  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the auto-start and auto-stop features are good. No need to use the controls on the machine for anything. The machine can be in a closed dresser drawer or on a shelf, untouched.

There was one time when I felt like a dummy for a similar reason. When I had been using CPAP for only a few weeks, one night while asleep I was having more difficulty breathing through the mask, and it was causing a strange dream. Eventually I woke up enough to realize that a few minutes earlier I had pulled the hose connection loose and the machine had shut down. Duh! Well, that was an odd experience. I assume it must happen to most folks sooner or later.
Post Reply Post Reply
I probably would have done the same thing without smart start.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I have done it. I wonder if my machine has a smart start.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to get up several times a night to go to the restroom. I do reach over to my machine and physically turn it off. I find that when I do it that way, the air stops almost immediately.

If I simply disconnect the air hose from my face mask, the machine continues to pump air for quite a few seconds, making enough noise to wake my wife. 

There have been times when the air didn't stop. Much better for me to just reach over and turn the machine off by hand.

I am seeing that since having started CPAP therapy (Sept. 10), my nightly visits to the bathroom is dropping. Prior to being diagnosed with OSA, I was "going" up to 7 times a night. I'm now down to 4 times a night.

I'm hoping that with 100% user compliance, that number will continue to drop even more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 11:56 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Yes, the auto-start and auto-stop features are good.  No need to use the controls on the machine for anything.  The machine can be in a closed dresser drawer or on a shelf, untouched.

There was one time when I felt like a dummy for a similar reason.  When I had been using CPAP for only a few weeks, one night while asleep I was having more difficulty breathing through the mask, and it was causing a strange dream.  Eventually I woke up enough to realize that a few minutes earlier I had pulled the hose connection loose and the machine had shut down.  Duh!  Well, that was an odd experience.  I assume it must happen to most folks sooner or later.

I can't breath at all when my machine goes off.  Are you sure it isn't stopping in the middle of the night?  Perhaps the power is going out temporarily?

FYI- You should never put your machine in an enclosed space like a closed dresser drawer.  It needs to air to draw from.  If you restrict the airflow like that, it's going to have to work a lot harder to create pressure, and possibly won't be able to create the pressure at all.  Plus, it'll be sucking in all the fumes from the glues and stain used to make your dresser.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 09:04 PM)Reznik Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 11:56 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Yes, the auto-start and auto-stop features are good.  No need to use the controls on the machine for anything.  The machine can be in a closed dresser drawer or on a shelf, untouched.

There was one time when I felt like a dummy for a similar reason.  When I had been using CPAP for only a few weeks, one night while asleep I was having more difficulty breathing through the mask, and it was causing a strange dream.  Eventually I woke up enough to realize that a few minutes earlier I had pulled the hose connection loose and the machine had shut down.  Duh!  Well, that was an odd experience.  I assume it must happen to most folks sooner or later.

I can't breath at all when my machine goes off.  Are you sure it isn't stopping in the middle of the night?  Perhaps the power is going out temporarily?

FYI- You should never put your machine in an enclosed space like a closed dresser drawer.  It needs to air to draw from.  If you restrict the airflow like that, it's going to have to work a lot harder to create pressure, and possibly won't be able to create the pressure at all.  Plus, it'll be sucking in all the fumes from the glues and stain used to make your dresser.

I have had my machines in a closed dresser drawer for many years. I have a 2-inch diameter hole in the back to route the tube and power. These drawers are not nearly air-tight and don't restrict airflow.  I have certainly never smelled glue or finish materials. New units or something made of mostly particle board may be different.  It's a safe and effective way to protect and use the machine. It is used with the drawer closed. No problem.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5043]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 09:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 09:04 PM)Reznik Wrote:

I have had my machines in a closed dresser drawer for many years. I have a 2-inch diameter hole in the back to route the tube and power. These drawers are not nearly air-tight and don't restrict airflow.  I have certainly never smelled glue or finish materials. New units or something made of mostly particle board may be different.  It's a safe and effective way to protect and use the machine. It is used with the drawer closed. No problem.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5043]

Looks like it would be a hassle to remove and insert the water chamber.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 397 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 710 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse? AlaskanJaeger 21 2,285 08-25-2022, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Felt amazing on first night of therapy, but regular after that NoddingHacker 1 563 07-15-2021, 01:01 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] Woke up, felt like I had no breathe and panicked VanWrinkle 10 1,203 06-15-2021, 02:17 PM
Last Post: VanWrinkle
  Dummy Doc—ST versus ASV rmclendon 25 12,001 11-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Bad night, felt suffocated chuck6161 16 3,435 07-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.