Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ever had your CPAP stolen at a hotel?
Ever had your CPAP stolen at a hotel?
I have an upcoming trip planned and am wondering what others have done to secure their CPAP while not in the room? Not every hotel has a safe and I don't know how I feel about leaving it in the car. Certainly not going to walk around with it.

Any bad experiences or lessons learned?

I'm not in a good position to buy a 'travel' unit at the moment so I have to take my one-and-only with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ever had your CPAP stolen at a hotel?
I've done a lot of travel with my CPAP. I never left it in the hotel at all - always put in in my car trunk when leaving for the day. Never had any issues, and I have gone into some pretty "bad" areas in inner city neighborhoods. I always felt it was safer in my car trunk than in the hotel room when I was gone.

I would always put whatever I needed for the day in the passenger seat next to me in the morning when leaving the hotel. I never wanted to open up the trunk to remove something (laptop, briefcase, etc) when I arrived at my destination. You never know who is looking at you as you leave your vehicle, so whatever a thief can't see is less temptation for them to steal.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If it is a chain hotel, it is safe in your room. Those poor folks are underpaid and overwatched. I always leave mine at the hotel, in a nice pile so nothing is in their way. If you come back to your room and the CPAP (or anything else) is missing, the first suspects are the maids. Those jobs are hard enough to do without having missing guests' stuff held over you.

If the hotel is small or no-name-brand, then I would take it with me or secure it in my vehicle.

But I'm not stupid. I take my medication with me no matter how fancy the hotel.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Before I retired I use to travel about 40% of the year, staying in one place for a week or more. I always left the CPAP sitting on the nightstand, with the hose wrapped around it. During those 16 years, no one ever stole my machine(s). Even now, when we travel, I leave the unit out. I would suspect that the value of the machine is not worth someone's current employment.

But then again, I travel with the Everest3 and not the S9 (which I got 6 months before retirement. And before the S9 all my machines were expensive "bricks").

Bob.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a chain hotel I'll be staying at this time around. Maybe it's worth the trouble leaving it in the car.

Glad to hear that most of the well known hotels are for the most part okay.

Going on a bit of a tangent, I came across some comments online (quite by accident) from people expressing concern about picking up bed bugs in their CPAP. Is that really a concern any more so than sleeping on the bed and having your luggage in the room? I wonder what made these folks single out their CPAP as a bed bug concern. Creepy thought. eeew
Post Reply Post Reply
I have stayed in chain motels whenever I have traveled with my XPAP. Never had a problem. SS does bring up a good point that I had not considered though.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the case of bed bugs, I would think them being in your machine is a lesser worry than all the bites you'd be getting. I don't think they would enter through the mask. And they live in the mattress, they're not like fleas who jump anywhere and everywhere. I don't think they would be entering through the filter.

Some people just love to worry and love to make other people worry.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know if this should be on another thread, but this hotel question got me thinking. I have never traveled by air with my machine. Often going through the security point though, I have seen CPAP units lined up for inspection. The way some of the carry on items are handled by TSA, I wonder if they ever damage them. CPAP machines are not as durable as most laptop computers. Has anyone had a machine damaged or any frequent fliers have tips on this? It would wreck my whole trip if my S9 was broken and I am going to be flying soon. Thanks. /Jeff/
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
All they do is swipe it with a bomb cloth. They are actually very gentle with them.

They are tough machines. It would take a direct drop onto the floor to really break anything.

AND in the case something is damaged, asked for the Conflict Resolution Officer immediately. And the TSA supervisor on staff. Do not leave until it is dealt with. If you leave, they'll claim it wasn't damaged by them.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2013, 07:23 PM)Airstream Wrote: I have seen CPAP units lined up for inspection.
Hmm... the way you describe that it makes me think that it's a good idea to keep a record of your machine's serial number or something so you know you got the right one back. Do they queue up the CPAP machines for inspection? Hope I never have to get pulled aside and wait for them to get around to it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Attempting To Try CPAP Treatment Again. Please Help. Fatigued Has Stolen My Life allistairt 8 1,121 10-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  horrible hotel smell persists ktopaz 4 890 12-20-2021, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ktopaz
  Mouth dry staying at hotel; is it me or my environment? willo 2 2,039 12-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Angry Just arrived at hotel. 1 week old philips dream station go machine dead! qwawawawa 12 3,776 05-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Getting hotel smells out of CPAP PaulaO2 29 17,304 07-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.