Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ever had your CPAP stolen at a hotel?
RE: Ever had your CPAP stolen at a hotel?
I've never seen any but my own.

You take the machine out of the bag. The machine goes in a tub. The bag goes through by itself. You can request they bag your machine and change their gloves prior to them picking it up on the other side of the xray machine. They then take the tub and all to the side, remove the machine, and swipe it with the cloth. They put the machine back in the bin, place it back in the dump place, and you pick it up.

It's an easy process. As long as you are aware of any one else putting one in at the same time, or aware of where yours is while you are getting frisked, all will be well.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

I fly out tomorrow and I'll report back on how it goes. But then, I'm "special" and get a free grope session with some tired, overworked, and underpaid TSA employee. Neither one of us gets a cigarette after. I'm usually so preoccupied with that, I never get the chance to see where my crap goes. Usually they just bring it to wherever I am getting groped, bins and all. I then bag it all myself and go my merry way.

---

In all seriousness, the groping is a poor attempt at humor. The pat down I get now is really not much different from what I always got, even before 9/11. It is more thorough, yes, and a tad bit more "invasive" but I'm used to it. I laugh when folks started complaining about the touchy-feely pat downs. I invite any of you to stand and watch a person in a wheelchair get their pat down. It will make yours look like a hand shake.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
On a side note, I think Americans have become far too "tolerant" of TSA abuse. We've allowed them to become Nazi-like in their treatment of innocent travellers. 9/11 or no 9/11, the more we allow their invasiveness, the more invasive they will become.

If the governmental response to 9/11 means we give up our freedoms, our privacy and our right to be left alone, then the terrorists have won. Because of these TSA abuses, I have given up on air travel. I always drive my car, even if it means a 10 hour trip. I refuse to give money to an industry that allows their customers to be treated like criminals, and I refuse to stand in line for government-sponsored Nazi checkpoints. It's just a choice I've made, personally.

Returning to the topic at hand, I'm a bit more protective of my CPAP because I paid nearly $900 of my own money for it - without health care insurance. That's nearly the cost of two laptop computers - I prefer they stay close to me. Most hotels do not cover theft - they specifically state that they're not responsible for valuables left in hotel rooms. If your machine gets stolen, you're simply out of luck. However, some auto-insurance policies do cover theft and break-ins; at least to some degree.

When I put the CPAP in my trunk and go to a semi-unsecure area, I always try to park where I can see my car from the office I'm going to, or at least where the car can be seen by the public in general. I never park it in a dark area, or remote area away from foot traffic - it's easier for a crook to break into my car if no one can see the crook in action.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wherever you take it, even when visiting relatives, take the water tank out during the day. If the hotel maid or your mom moves the machine or knocks it over during the day, the water can ruin the CPAP machine. It might not be a bad idea to set it some where it's hard to knock over during the day.

I assume the hotel staff will steal anything, given a chance. However, I suspect the ones who steal know what has good resale value. I suspect the recognize CPAP machines and they know they're hard to fence.

I suggest putting your name and number on your CPAP machine. Put some sort of sticker on it in a very visible place so your can spot it quickly. I'd be tempted to put a "biohazard" sticker on it, but the goons at the airport would probably flip out.

Take an extension cord with you. Outlets are often not in convenient places. You may even need a two prong extension cord in case you're staying in an old place without grounded outlets.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2013, 08:12 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(06-24-2013, 07:23 PM)Airstream Wrote: I have seen CPAP units lined up for inspection.
Hmm... the way you describe that it makes me think that it's a good idea to keep a record of your machine's serial number or something so you know you got the right one back. Do they queue up the CPAP machines for inspection? Hope I never have to get pulled aside and wait for them to get around to it.
That's a good point. I guess they must be in some kind of order. They always seem to be S9's too.
I have put a piece of ribbon on my luggage so it's easier to spot on the baggage claim carousel. Something like a smiley sticker would work for a CPAP. A quality marker pen might be a consideration if you don't mind just writing you name on it.
If you do claim someone else's, I'm sure you would know real quick after you turned it on! /Jeff/
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've traveled pretty extensively and never even thought once about securing my CPAP when leaving the hotel room. They're valuable to you and me. But they're not exactly cash either.

OMyMy
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAPS are kinda like accordions IMO. I had a friend who was driving to the other side of the state. Had his accordion in the back seat in its case. He stopped at a diner for a bite to eat. While inside he heard the sound of breaking glass. He rushed outside. Sure enough, a side window in his car was broken. He looked inside and his worst fears were realized. There were TWO accordions in the back seat!! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2013, 10:36 AM)Zorki1c Wrote: CPAPS are kinda like accordions IMO. I had a friend who was driving to the other side of the state. Had his accordion in the back seat in its case. He stopped at a diner for a bite to eat. While inside he heard the sound of breaking glass. He rushed outside. Sure enough, a side window in his car was broken. He looked inside and his worst fears were realized. There were TWO accordions in the back seat!! Smile

So... if I leave my CPAP in the car I'll get another one? Best insurance plan ever!

I think the punchline of this joke is lost on me. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2013, 07:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: All they do is swipe it with a bomb cloth. They are actually very gentle with them.

They are tough machines. It would take a direct drop onto the floor to really break anything.

AND in the case something is damaged, asked for the Conflict Resolution Officer immediately. And the TSA supervisor on staff. Do not leave until it is dealt with. If you leave, they'll claim it wasn't damaged by them.

Interesting. On my last trip, I just left the machine in the small rolling suitcase I carry it in and put it on the belt. None of the TSA folks questioned me about it. Being a retired military aviator, I am real good at playing dumb. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a carrying case for my CPAP unit. I keep it separate, since it doesn't count towards carry-on luggage allocation. On my last 4 trips through (admittedly Canadian) airport security, I just put the whole case through the X-ray: machine, hose, mask, manuals, and everything. Not even a second look on any of those trips. Heck, my cane got more attention. [ Formerly, it just went through the X-ray. Lately, they don't want it put though, but do swab it for explosives detection. ]
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad to read this. Now even medical units get stolen?
And it would be soooo easy for vendors to mark the stolen units (via their serial).
But then again, they would not be able to sell you a new replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Attempting To Try CPAP Treatment Again. Please Help. Fatigued Has Stolen My Life allistairt 8 1,121 10-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  horrible hotel smell persists ktopaz 4 890 12-20-2021, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ktopaz
  Mouth dry staying at hotel; is it me or my environment? willo 2 2,038 12-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Angry Just arrived at hotel. 1 week old philips dream station go machine dead! qwawawawa 12 3,775 05-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Getting hotel smells out of CPAP PaulaO2 29 17,298 07-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.