Ever try to call Philips Respironics for tech support?
old dude Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One BiPap Auto Bi-Flex 760P
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: RM Quattro Mirage, Quattro Air, Quattro FX
Humidifier: PR System One HT DS6TFLG
CPAP Pressure: 15/11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Ever try to call Philips Respironics for tech support?
You simply go into an endless loop in which if you are a patient you are instructed to call your home care provider for answers to any question you may have. Heck, if my home care provider could and would answer my questions I wouldn't be calling in the first place!

I have a PR BiPap machine and like it just fine, but so far I haven't needed any support. But this inability to talk to a rep is one of the reasons I prefer ResMed masks. I can have a patient care rep on the line in just a couple of minutes.

Just sayin'.
09-09-2013 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 10, EPR x2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Ever try to call Philips Respironics for tech support?
Hmm... what if someone doesn't have a home care provider? That's the case with me at least, and I suspect anyone else who used an online supplier. Seems like they really do believe that the end customer is the DME, not the patient.

By the way, I had sent a message to ResMed last week using their online form. I was expecting to get an e-mail back a few days later, but to my surprise I got a phone call from a live person. Now they might have been calling from the west coast because to them it was still business hours but to me it was dinner time... but it was thoughtful nonetheless.
09-09-2013 02:20 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi old dude,
When I first started with CPAP therapy, I had a Respironics DS200S, (BRICK,) and I tried to call them for a question I had and I was met with the same thing. The one time when I did get someone, they didn't act the least bit interested in what I had to say, after all, I was just a lowly patient, )Ha-Ha).

trish6hundred
09-09-2013 03:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

If you check their website, you'll see that they consider their customers to be the DMEs and not the actual patients. I had tried to contact them in January 2012 when I was trying to determine why their new machines whistled so badly. They wouldn't respond to my inquiries but they did answer the (online) DME's questions - sort of. Their answer was to try another new machine!

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-09-2013 05:12 PM
old dude Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One BiPap Auto Bi-Flex 760P
Mask Make & Model: RM Quattro Mirage, Quattro Air, Quattro FX
Humidifier: PR System One HT DS6TFLG
CPAP Pressure: 15/11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(09-09-2013 05:12 PM)PollCat Wrote:  If you check their website, you'll see that they consider their customers to be the DMEs and not the actual patients. I had tried to contact them in January 2012 when I was trying to determine why their new machines whistled so badly. They wouldn't respond to my inquiries but they did answer the (online) DME's questions - sort of. Their answer was to try another new machine!

Yes, I noticed it was not very patient-friendly.

It's their business and they must do very well, but it seems to me to be very short sighted to not have patient interface reps available, especially with equipment that involves something as serious as apnea treatment.
09-09-2013 05:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
alby_c Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed s9 autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I think they rely on the fact most people, like sheep- just take the machines they are given, hence their real need is to sell to the actual decision makers in machine selection - the DME's.

the few of us that actually take ownership are not significant in their world view, at least not significant enough to devote any time energy of promotional effort on.

At least that's my conclusions from observed behaviors

BTW - do we have any numbers/estimates around how many people with OSA vs how many are active in their treatment?
09-09-2013 07:56 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(09-09-2013 02:20 PM)Paptillian Wrote:  Hmm... what if someone doesn't have a home care provider? That's the case with me at least, and I suspect anyone else who used an online supplier. Seems like they really do believe that the end customer is the DME, not the patient.

By the way, I had sent a message to ResMed last week using their online form. I was expecting to get an e-mail back a few days later, but to my surprise I got a phone call from a live person. Now they might have been calling from the west coast because to them it was still business hours but to me it was dinner time... but it was thoughtful nonetheless.

I agree with you about Resmed. I had a machine that quit working. The DME couldn't figure it out so I called Resmed. I got the information that I needed to instruct the DME to return my CPAP to them and to give me a new CPAP machine. They also gave me a list of 5 issues that caused the problem (which I passed on to the DME who didn't know about this) and I followed those suggestions and I never had another problem. The biggest one is to keep your power supply on the floor or at least not on the same stand with your CPAP machine. I wish it hadn't been 2 years ago when this conversation took place and I would have been able to remember the other 4 things they told me. Resmed said that they usually deal with the DME but they were very much interested in helping me even though I was the patient! Love Resmed's customer service
09-10-2013 01:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
RonWessels Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS560TS
Mask Make & Model: ComfortGel Blue
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Tube DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 20

Other Comments: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter

(09-10-2013 01:26 AM)me50 Wrote:  The biggest one is to keep your power supply on the floor or at least not on the same stand with your CPAP machine.

What is the rationale for this? The only things I can think of are heat issues or some sort of stress on the power cord. I suppose if you kept the brick right next to the CPAP device, the EM field from the transformer might interfere with the electronics, but that would only be an issue if their design was deficient in simple EM shielding.
09-10-2013 07:49 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(09-10-2013 07:49 AM)RonWessels Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 01:26 AM)me50 Wrote:  The biggest one is to keep your power supply on the floor or at least not on the same stand with your CPAP machine.

What is the rationale for this? The only things I can think of are heat issues or some sort of stress on the power cord. I suppose if you kept the brick right next to the CPAP device, the EM field from the transformer might interfere with the electronics, but that would only be an issue if their design was deficient in simple EM shielding.

I will go back and see if I can find my notes in the next few days and see if I can find out why they said this. It was 2 years ago and I cannot remember the details now. I know I used to keep my power supply next to the CPAP machine and I had problems with my machine and now that I think about it, I had this problem twice and they replaced the CPAP both times. I don't like the power supply on the floor but I had to put it there b/c I doubted they would replace the CPAP machine again or that it would fail right after the warranty expired. Since I put it on the floor, I have never had that problem again.
09-10-2013 08:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Md Hoq Offline

Members

Machine: Dreamstation
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Philips
Humidifier: heated
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments:

Philips never talk to patients instead they like to ask patients to call their provider where is provider does not know anything about dreamstation cellular modem configurations, Resmed is nothing diffentlly treat their patients
11-14-2016 12:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] respironics bipap error code hanasdaddy 6 104 Yesterday 01:48 AM
Last Post: hanasdaddy
  Respironics 9 minute cycle with no events. pixpop 2 82 12-06-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Respironics blower failure SleepyinMTL 2 132 12-03-2016 12:52 AM
  [Pressure] How to change pressure - Respironics Solo slgoltz 5 20,015 11-30-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: randx2
  philips remstar auto a-flex skylersdad 2 168 11-29-2016 05:47 PM
  [Equipment] airsense 10 with philips dreamweaver mask abrun7 4 231 11-15-2016 05:27 PM
Last Post: edfreeman
  respironics pillow covers? metropical 3 244 11-08-2016 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider