Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Excessive Dryness
Excessive Dryness
Greetings,

I've been on CPAP about 3 weeks now.

I've tried using the Swift FX nasal pillows and I love comfort but after a couple of hours use, I wake up with sinuses that feel like they are on fire. I get similar results when using the AirFit N10 (Wide) nasal mask.

I am not normally a mouth breather but with any mask on my mouth tends to open for some reason.

The AirFit F10 full face mask and that doesn't cause the sinus trouble but if my mouth opens, it gets so dry I've actually small lacerations form when trying to peel my inner cheek away from my gums. Very uncomfortable.

I have my humidity set all the way up and the air temperature set to 80°F.

What am I doing wrong?
This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive Dryness
You may have to invest in a chin strap until you can train your mouth to stay closed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check that the low pressure setting is high enough for you. If it is too low, you may mouth breathe to get sufficient air when asleep. When you get used to sleeping with your mouth closed the dryness problem will stop. It happens when you are relaxed in sleep and your mouth is open. The air becomes a whistling wind going in your nose and out of your mouth, taking the moisture with it and drying the inside of your mouth.

Chin strap, bungee cord, duct tape, elastic can be used to jury rig something....I don't recommend stapling your jaw shut. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that a chinstrap will help. I use the Quattro FX, and have to use chinstrap. I get the dry mouth as you do, without it, and I know what you mean about the pain. I have tried pillow masks, but even with the strap, the back portion on my mouth gets dry. If you can, try to get DME to let you try different ones, using your mask, to check if it is comfortable, or at least, bearable. It is a lot of straps on your head, when going to sleep is already trying. I do have a F&P FlexiFit 431 I am still trying to use, that has a lip that seals under the chin, that does not make me use strap, but am struggling with pressure placed on bridge of nose. It is actually the quietest mask I have used, so far. Don't even hear my own breath. So, I will continue to work with it. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that this happens when your mouth allows air to escape while you are asleep. With a full face mask, I have encountered the dry mouth problem. If what trailrider suggests works that would be fine. If not, I suggest that the next step is to try a chin strap. Chin straps are kind of like masks, they work differently for different people. I tried 3 or 4 before I found one that would even stay in place for the whole night. Even at that, the chin strap did not work for me. Still had dry mouth and mouth leakage during the night. Therapy was OK because the system did not lose pressure.

The next step is to train yourself to keep your mouth sealed. This has been discussed a lot to enable people to use nasal pillows or nasal masks without mouth leaking/breathing. The seal need not be perfect in order to be of help for this problem but in my opinion it does need to be fairly effective. I still can not seal my mouth well enough to use nasal pillows or mask, but I get enough improvement that between the reduced leakage and humidification I can avoid the dry mouth. After a while, I may start to get dry mouth again and have to increase my tongue seal training again for a while but overall it has worked for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LanceC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap, and also, you might turn your humidity back a few notches. Too much humidity can be problematic as well as too little.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I do have a chin strap and have used it with the Swift FX and the N10. In that scenario is when I get the terrible burning in my sinuses. I've tried the humidity set 1/2 way up, 3/4 and all the way. I've also tried Auto. Nothing helps.

The dry mouth is while using a full face mask, the AirFit F10. The pressure pushes my mouth open even though I'm not leaking. Then I get the dry mouth, or wake up and close my mouth again, which is almost as bad as the apnea.
This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 176 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  [Treatment] Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted iamverysleepy 2 673 10-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: iamverysleepy
  Excessive CA Events JoeS01 30 1,841 10-15-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JoeS01
  Excessive air leak? JoeS01 3 440 09-21-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar analysis - Excessive sleepiness after successful therapy jesslarsen21 3 631 06-03-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Excessive daytime sleepiness DH575 0 366 01-04-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: DH575
  ketanerp - Excessive dream, dizziness and sleep apnea. ketanerp 17 1,772 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.