Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ketanerp - Excessive dream, dizziness and sleep apnea.
ketanerp - Excessive dream, dizziness and sleep apnea.
Hi Experts,
Is there any link between Excessive dream  and Sleep apnea.

I have excessive dream (Normal dream but long running) problem from the 6 month. My PCP did all test and also refer to Cardiology. Everything comes normal.

Then he suspect about sleep apnea. and refer to Sleep doctor. I did the sleep study and its come as a mild to moderate apnea.

I have started CPAP from last week. (6 days). First two days I did not get any dreams and sleep was well.
but after that dream story again started. OSCAR show apnea of 0.5 AHI.  But Do not know why still getting dream.

Because of dream I feel sleepy in morning. 

I am not taking any alcohol (never had), caffeine (only tea in morning) in night. 

Does anyone have a similar symptom ?  My PCP is not making any good suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive dream and sleep apnea.
When I started CPAP I found my dreams increased. I had my sleep doc explain it this way - when you have sleep apnea the brain has to work to keep you alive especially if you have high AHIs (ie stop breathing a lot during the night). Once you start using a machine and the body gets used to it, the brain starts to relax and during REM will start to refresh itself, sort of reboot. I read in a article a long while back (can't find it) that dreams are a sign of the brain doing a recharge.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Homer,
Thanks for your response.

My Problem is my dream was started before 6 month. That make my sleep restless. I am feeling sleepy on the second day. and I have to take mandatory nape. 

I have started CPAP before week (6 days). I feel good two days but after two days again all dream episode is started.

Now I am clueless about the treatment I am Receiving. It might possible the dream problem is not because of sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Homerec130.

Prior to my starting APAP therapy I do not remember having any dreams (for several years).  After starting APAP therapy I eventually starting having dreams regularly again.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's quite possible the recurring dream is unrelated to sleep apnea but that doesn't mean cpap treatment is wrong for you.

I did a quick Google search and found this article, it suggests some strategies to encourage different dreams... maybe try those to get out of the cycle of the upsetting dream?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ol-dreams/

If you're going to bed worrying about whether that dream is going to occur then it's top of your mind... that makes it more likely to occur.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brazen ,
Thanks for the link. I will defiantly give a try.

My Dream is normal. Not related to my life or day to day activity.
It is like some movie is running. It long running story.

The dream are not danger. Normal story.

No Work pressure. No anxiety.
Post Reply Post Reply
But the dream is making you feel restless?

Most dreams happen in REM sleep so... dreaming means you're reaching good sleep.
But... remembering dreams usually happens if your REM sleep is being interrupted so... remembering means interrupted good sleep.

Not fun but not necessarily sleep apnea related.

If you posted some OSCAR screenshots the experts could determine if your data suggests decent sleep...  then you could look for other causes for feeling so tired or having REM interrupted.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, I used to remember a lot of my dreams before starting CPAP, and after starting CPAP, I remember very few dreams. It seems like I don't sleep as deep with the PAP, and even in a recent titration (overnight in sleep lab), the report said I didn't get into REM / deep sleep. 

I would prefer back to the before CPAP days, of deep sleep and remembering more of my dreams . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
@ruach
I agree. My dreams are gone with cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same correlation of: 

many vivid remembered dreams = no rest from sleep

dreams I cannot recall = okay rest

no dreams apparent = best rest

I don't know why the above exists but I've had it for many years.  I am not sure if CPAP therapy can help or not.  I've been CPAPing for 15 years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 129 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.