Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Excessive leak from pillow mask?
Excessive leak from pillow mask?
I have a pillow mask with my ResMed AirSenese 10.
In the front of the mask, to both sides of the point where the tubing joins the mask, there is a kind of mesh (all plastic), which allows for some air venting.
When I get my hands close to that mesh, it seems to me that the amount of air vented through that mesh is excessive.
That air flow also produces a hissing which is somewhat a nuisance, and it doesn't look normal to me.
I have the CPAP since a few months ago, so I am not experienced enough for judging.

Can that venting/leakage increase with the use of the mask? 
I know there are other reasons for replacing (parts of) the mask, due to some kind of degradation, but I never read about degradation of that part.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive leak from pillow mask?
AirSense 10 is the machine designation..

Can you give a mask designation so people can answer relevant to the specific mask you have?

You will need to give brand and model of the mask - for instance "ResMed AirFit F20" or whatever other brand and model it may be.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2022, 10:56 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: AirSense 10 is the machine designation..

Can you give a mask designation so people can answer relevant to the specific mask you have?

You will need to give brand and model of the mask - for instance "ResMed AirFit F20" or whatever other brand and model it may be.

You are right.
The mask is ResMed AirFit P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is venting in front of the P10 and I use one myself. I wouldn't describe the venting as excessive or noisy. In fact, it is one of the quietest masks out there. I suppose the venting volume and sound would increase the higher your min and max settings are on your machine. For myself, I am at 10-16 and I do not find the venting noisy at all. In fact there is barely any sound from it but my breathing does create a bit more sound which is normal. If there are any breakages on the venting mesh or obstructions in front of it there would also be a louder sound with the venting air hitting whatever is there. Maybe check for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just pick another ask if you want more noise.
I had issues with the P10 mask when I first started using it, My wife would wake me several times a night for several nights because she couldn't hear me breathing as she easily could with other masks.
The purpose of the vents, and all CPAP masks have them, is to ensure the venting of CO2 to minimize rebreathing of CO2.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,409 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.