Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: built in
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Excuse me while I vent....
As mentioned in previous posts, I am beginning week 2 of therapy. Week one was mixed results but mostly success. The last two nights have been frustrating, with last night getting me so frustrated that I became angry and wanted to throw the machine and mask against the wall. Really not sleeping well at all.

Instead of listing all kinds of settings, etc.....I'll wait to see what questions are asked.
Here are a few beefs:

1. Severe ulcer on left side of nose due to being a left side sleeper
2. Spending too much time on my back because its the only way I can seem to sleep with the mask on and keeping good pressure and not wearing on my nose, however, I have never slept on my back and have a bad right shoulder which causes me to favor left side sleep.
3. One night I can get the mask to fit like it was made for me. Another night, or 1/2 way through a good night, I can't get an adjustment to work no matter how much I try.

Any suggestions on the above or additional questions would be greatly appreciated.
06-23-2015 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Starrbelie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Fisher&Paykel Icon+ Premo
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: F&P Icon+ integrated
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using ResMed AirFit F10 while recovering from Septoplasty & Turbinate reduction

Sex: Female

RE: Excuse me while I vent....
I don't have any suggestion for you. I just want to say I feel your pain!! I posted almost this exact post night before last! Although, I DID throw my mask across the room...well, as across the room as the hose would allow!! I am going to try some lanolin to see if my pillows seal a little better and that should help the sore spot on my nose!!

Here's to figuring this puzzle out!!
Starr
06-23-2015 11:48 AM
ndynamics Offline

Members

Machine: PR System One 60 Series Auto BiPAP w/Bi-Flex (760P)
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp large
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series Humidifier with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: MinE 6 MaxI 25 PS 4-8 cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Machine w/new firmware that doesn't directly import to SH without help.

Similar to my experience, less the ulcer and bad shoulder (although I do have a bad low back).

It took me about three months to get used to sleeping on my back. I couldn't sleep and was in constant daytime pain in my neck. I had to buy a medium-firm temperpedic bed and that was the best investment I ever made, as it completely solved my side sleep vs. back sleep issues. I also purchased a CPAP pillow made of buckwheat and that made a huge difference because I could adjust it however I wanted so my neck was supported but my head was where I needed it to be. Although its highly adjustable, the buckwheat is more firm that a normal pillow so it took me about two weeks to get used to the change. This pillow also allows me to adjust it to sleep on my side pretty well when I want, but now I find I prefer back sleep and can sleep 8 hours straight without moving an inch. And my low back pain is now even largely gone.

I also had to try about 10 different masks of all types (full face, nasal, pillow, etc) before I found one that worked well for me. Everyone's face is different, so what works for me probably won't work for you. But if the mask isn't working try a different one.
06-23-2015 12:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

I just got an Airfit (was using a Wisp and wanted to try this after so many said it was wonderful). I had issues, but thankfully, no ulcer. The mask seemed a bit of a tight fit - pulling the pillows into my nose instead of them just resting. I didn't struggle this much with the Wisp, but at least I can switch between them if my nose was hurting. Anyway, I'm sorry I can't be helpful. I'm in exactly the same boat you are. I primarily sleep on my left side as well, although I USED to sleep on my back until I had breathing issues.
06-23-2015 12:14 PM
MobileBasset Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AIRCURVE 10 V Auto
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Zest
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 10 (minE 6,maxI 12, PS 3)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

I recently tried the AirFit P10 just because of the prosthelytizing of the forum. I suffered some of the same issues mentioned here. Difficulty breathing on both inhale and exhale, sore nose, time spent positioning the mask each time I changed position. Also I experienced puffy eyes and a disruptive type sleep for which I blamed the breathing resistance. I tried the suggestions from the forum: lanolin, changing the size of the nose pillow, stretching the head strap to prevent undue tension. I gave up on it and went back to my nasal mask which has none of those faults. Some of us aren't candidates for nose pillows.

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 09:46 PM by MobileBasset.)
06-23-2015 09:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

Sore nose use lanolin. It is similar to Vaseline but it is collected from sheep's wool. Organic, not a petrochemical like Vaseline. The kind I got is in a tube at the pharmacy and is used as a nipple salve for nursing mothers. Just a little (very little) dab on the outer rim of the nose and anywhere the mask touches the nasal passages. It will cure that problem at least.

If you are not a mouth breather I would suggest the A10 nasal pillow. It lets me sleep on my stomach with my head only slightly to one side. It has the lowest profile of any mask I have tried.
06-23-2015 09:48 PM
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(06-23-2015 09:48 PM)player Wrote:  Sore nose use lanolin. It is similar to Vaseline but it is collected from sheep's wool. Organic, not a petrochemical like Vaseline.

Forgive me if I come across as a jerk here, but I can't resist. The word "organic" has been twisted out of it's true meaning for about fifty years. The original meaning, used in Chemistry for many decades, was simply a compound that contains Carbon atoms. So in the proper use of the word "organic" both Lanolin and Petroleum Jelly ("Vaseline") are organic.

They are both Hydrocarbons and both have carbon atoms in them. They are both, as sold, distilled essences of living things. Lanolin comes from Sheep, Petroleum Jelly comes from plants. Admittedly these plants died a few million years ago and slowly changed into oil or coal. That's why they're called "fossil fuels". Both compounds originated in nature, both have been artifically distilled. Which says nothing about which one is "good" and which one isn't, if one is.

I know I know - the battle has long been lost and the word "organic" seems these days to mean whatever the advertising industry wants it so. I still think that's a bad thing. I hated the use of this word to mean "natural" (whatever that means) when I first became aware of it in the 1960's, and I still do.

OK officer, I'll go quietly....

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
06-23-2015 10:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

I am sorry Ed. I agree with you except for your definition of organic molecules. There are a number of inorganic molecules that contain carbon. Carbonates and cyanides to name a few. Organic molecules contain chiefly carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms.

It irks me to hear food or other things touted as organic. I believe that all food is organic by the chemical definition. The other one that gets me going is when I hear some adman say that his product has no chemicals in it. Gee whiz and here I thought water was a chemical. Oxygen is a chemical. Let's see if that advertiser can get along without that chemical for a while.

Officer, while you are carting Ed off, you might as take me too.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
06-23-2015 11:04 PM
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

Whatever... Lanolin is not bad for you, petroleum product are.
06-23-2015 11:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

ha ha, and MobileB says she tried lanolin, and gave it thumbs down. OP should realize that your mileage may vary, so has our permission to try any suggestions, or choose none.

For me, it seems almost natural to strap up to the CPAP machine.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
06-24-2015 01:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 368 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  AirFit P10 vent blocked? scott1965 178 30,675 09-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: WLKSRQ
  P10 Vent Rate AshSF 6 1,762 02-05-2015 11:45 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  [CPAP] How can I minimize discomfort from vent air DariaVader 38 5,434 11-16-2014 02:53 AM
Last Post: herbm
  just need to vent readyforsleep 13 2,384 04-02-2014 11:13 AM
Last Post: readyforsleep
  Mask Vent Design Question PaytonA 8 2,875 01-28-2014 07:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Loud noise from vent air holes Swall1 4 3,101 08-17-2013 10:35 PM
Last Post: DreamDiver