Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Excuse me while I vent....
RE: Excuse me while I vent....
Ed save room in that wagon for me!
You two covered organic so I'll devote my comments to "gender". My sex is male. English does not have gender. When I am in Brasil I get laughed at because sometimes I use the wrong gender. I just laugh along and offer to buy everyone a caipirinha Wink
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2015, 11:34 AM)masbirdies Wrote: As mentioned in previous posts, I am beginning week 2 of therapy. Week one was mixed results but mostly success. The last two nights have been frustrating, with last night getting me so frustrated that I became angry and wanted to throw the machine and mask against the wall. Really not sleeping well at all.

Instead of listing all kinds of settings, etc.....I'll wait to see what questions are asked.
Here are a few beefs:

1. Severe ulcer on left side of nose due to being a left side sleeper
2. Spending too much time on my back because its the only way I can seem to sleep with the mask on and keeping good pressure and not wearing on my nose, however, I have never slept on my back and have a bad right shoulder which causes me to favor left side sleep.
3. One night I can get the mask to fit like it was made for me. Another night, or 1/2 way through a good night, I can't get an adjustment to work no matter how much I try.

Any suggestions on the above or additional questions would be greatly appreciated.

From your profile and post, I am assuming that you are using a full face mask called Resmed Airfit F10. Please update your profile so that members don't assume that it's a P10 which is a nasal pillow style mask.

The nose ulcer will heal. You can use a mask liner to mitigate the leaks as well as pressure on your nose. I initially started with the F10 and had the nose ulcer within week 1. I used a homemade mask liner (cut from a t shirt using a template that I found by googling 'DIY mask liner'. This has been the #1 thing to eliminate large leaks.

The airfit F10 is a mask that is supposed to float like a hovercraft on your face when the machine is on. So don't press it too tight on all four straps. Also you may find that you don't need to tighten all 4 straps to the same tension. This is specific to your facial topography. For me I had found that I need to keep my bottom straps real loose to eliminate leaks. You may need a different setting though. You need to experiment to find out which makes sense for you. Over the 4 months that I used the F10, I only went to large leak territory 2-3 days and that too for very short periods of time. So the liners work and keeping it a bit loose works. BTW I am an active side sleeper and I had no issues with the F10.

After 4 months, I started using a P10 - nasal pillows mask. That is a different story. I am on my P10 since.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2015, 09:48 PM)player Wrote: Sore nose use lanolin. It is similar to Vaseline but it is collected from sheep's wool. Organic, not a petrochemical like Vaseline. The kind I got is in a tube at the pharmacy and is used as a nipple salve for nursing mothers. Just a little (very little) dab on the outer rim of the nose and anywhere the mask touches the nasal passages. It will cure that problem at least.

The term "organic" is poorly defined, even for scientists.

Vaseline comes from crude oil, which comes from plants, so is it "organic?" Grin Coal comes from a natural process from plants as well. Is coal tar "organic?"

There are plenty of "natural" plant and animal substances that are very harmful to people. Caffeine, cyanide, hydrochloric acid, botulin toxin, carcinogenic aflatoxin, nicotine, tobacco, etc. You're also more likely to get an allergic reaction from "natural" chemicals.

What danger do you think comes from Vaseline?

However, "Lanisnoh HPA Lanolin" is the usual recommendation. It's found in the nursing mother supplies area of many stores.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a small link between petroleum products and cancer. Also, over time they actually dehydrate the skin instead of moisturizing which kinda defeats the purpose we are using it for.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another vote for the buckwheat pillow. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Re: side sleeping with nasal mask:

I have been using a special pillow designed for side sleepers with CPAP masks. This is a pillow for the head to rest on, not a nasal pillow! It has indentations on either side to accommodate the mask and hose, so the mask is less likely to get dislodged and leak. And I suspect it helps prevent excess pressure on the face from the mask so you don't end up with pressure wounds (AKA bedsores or ulcers) on your face.

If I have to sleep with a regular pillow, I try to fold the edge under a little and sleep with the mask hanging over the folded edge. That might not be as comfortable, but is does help with the pressure and leakage problems.

Check Amazon for CPAP pillows; I think we got the one I use from them.

Post Reply Post Reply
Got a buckwheat cpap pillow and went to a P10 and chin strap. Nirvana! Sleeping well with great numbers. Feeling more refreshed.
Post Reply Post Reply
yay more birdies!
Post Reply Post Reply
buckwheat pillow here as well. Best investment I have made. Almost ready to write up my review.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I am curious whose buckwheat pillows you have. I tried several back some time ago and was not happy with them for 2 reasons. They spread out and mashed down while I slept so that my head was almost on the mattress by the time that I woke up. Also being a side sleeper puts one ear right on the pillow and every time I made the slightest movement, I would get a lot of noise from the buckwheat hulls moving around.

It has been a while and I am wondering if these pillows have been improved in the interim. Would appreciate knowing the manufacturer and any comments on my comments above.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 467 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,798 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,418 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  [Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30 Catherine101 179 36,190 05-06-2023, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Jay Belmont

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.