Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exercise Training to Treat Sleep Apnea
Exercise Training to Treat Sleep Apnea
The following link offers "Throat and Jaw Exercise Training to Treat Sleep Apnea" by the South Dakota State University. I found it very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRmsJYb...e=youtu.be

Arik,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exercise Training to Treat Sleep Apnea
you said 'useful' rather than something like 'interesting', leading me to think you found the exercises effective?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found the exercises useful and effective.
I have been using them over the past 2.5 years to help manage my OSA.
I started out using the exercises in this video and have added some others, while dropping some of these.
They are part of a more comprehensive approach that I use.
1. Weight management.
2. General cardio exercise.
3. Neck and throat exercise.
For me, currently, it is a much better option than xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2020, 11:06 PM)Mogy Wrote: I have found the exercises useful and effective.
I have been using them over the past 2.5 years to help manage my OSA.
I started out using the exercises in this video and have added some others, while dropping some of these.
They are part of a more comprehensive approach that I use.
1. Weight management.
2. General cardio exercise.
3. Neck and throat exercise.
For me, currently, it is a much better option than xPAP.

Would you care to share what exercises you dropped and what exercises you added, and why?

I find the sample program schedule a bit confusing. How often do you do your exercises per week, reps/sets etc? Any help would be appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ManDown11,
I agree, the schedule that they give is difficult to follow. So I never did. When I first started I did most/all of the exercises from this program twice a day while commuting to work. I would spend about 2 min on each exercise. The ones that I couldn't do while driving I did while out of the car. I spent about 30min, twice a day.
After 3 months I retested using the Resmed Home Sleep Apnea Tester and found that the exercises were doing me a lot of good, getting my untreated AHI into the 5 range.
I am retired now, so I only do my exercises once per day now(no commuting). I spend about 30 min a day while on my treadmill.
I would encourage you to individualize your exercise program. Do the exercises that you believe will do some good and that you will continue to do.
The ones that I dropped are the boring ones that I don't believe help me. (It is possible that they would. I don't know). Most of the ones I dropped are the vocalizing ones. 
A couple of exercises that I've added are tongue brushing, rolling my tongue, and and rolling 'rrr's(from Spanish.
Again, I would encourage you to individualize your program using the videos on Youtube as a place to start. There are more videos with other exercises.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 124 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.