Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia (EIAH) related to OSA?
Exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia (EIAH) related to OSA?
I realize it's physiologically normal to show a reduced Sp02 level during exercise. 

During a recent (see report below) moderate to intense workout (stepmill), I reached a low of 81 and I stayed <90 for over 7 minutes. My average was 91.

According to this article [https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/jappl.1999.87.6.1997], moderate EIAH is 88–93% and severe EIAH is <88%. A sharp initial and gradual drop in Sp02 began after 2 minutes into the exercise, dropping precipitously for another 8 minutes after which it began rising and leveling off at 90-91 (see graph below).

Post-exercise Sp02 returned to baseline (96-97).

My Sp02 average during sleep is 95. I usually don't ever see a reading over 97 at rest. I reside in a location with a moderate altitude of ~ 3000' above sea level. 

My AHI reading the night prior the workout was 1.61.

Would like to know from those that have a better understanding of EIAH in those of us with CPAP-treated OSA whether this intermittent hypoxemia is anything clinically significant (i.e. needing supplemental 02) and if it would merit checking in with my pulmonologist.

[Image: b7BHAoF.png]

[Image: 3qVP5Nf.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia (EIAH) related to OSA?
I don't know enough about it to really comment but as with everything, if in doubt, ask a doctor. They'd be able to tell you more. But looking at that article, the figures given for different stages are at sea level. With you being at an altitude that has a small but statistically significant effect on SpO2 even in otherwise healthy people, even at rest, so I would imagine that is going to have an effect on exercise-related oxygenation levels too. How much of that time were you exercising for? It's also worth noting that SpO2 recordings using a finger monitor can be notoriously unreliable during exercise too, it's best for your hand to be still to get accurate, consistent measurements.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 22 1,988 01-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: subconscious
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 558 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Drug induced Central sleep apnea Per Laursen 0 432 12-13-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Per Laursen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.