Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exhalation Apnea and air in the stomach
Exhalation Apnea and air in the stomach
After having a minor procedure on my throat under general anesthesia last year, my uvula and sides of the opening to my throat were very swollen. After the swelling resolved, I began have apnea when exhaling, but to my knowledge not while inhaling. It's like my soft palate and uvula dropped down and the area is now much smaller in the back of my throat than before the surgery. I began to wake up unable to breathe out, and would literally have to sit up to exhale. Sometimes it would happen when leaning back while awake. It was so bad, I began to try to sleep upright in a recliner. Sometimes when I tried to blow my nose, something would collapse and it would just make a mmph sound. I went to 2 ENTs in my area, but they had never heard of this condition and didn't know what to do about it. I went to the only other ENT in my area, but he was also not familiar with the problem, and suggested a sleep study since he owns a sleep study lab.
The sleep study did reveal apneas and hypopneas but did not specify whether on inhalation or exhalation. I could not tolerate a C-PAP, but did tolerate Bi-PAP. So now I have to use the machine and can breathe normally when lying down. However, air is forced into my stomach, so that some nights I wake up in excruciating pain, or feel as though I will vomit. I can feel it popping some valve open in my throat as it forces air in. It is set on 10/6 and I use a nasal pillow. I have contacted the ENT's representative at the sleep study office and they said the setting is the lowest that the ENT agrees for it to be at in order to keep my events low and that they were not familiar with the machine forcing air into the stomach. I don't get much sleep anymore, since if I wear the Bi-PAP, I have stomach pain, but feel as though I smother if I don't wear it.
The ENT has a very busy practice which mostly deals with pediatric cases and is not interested in helping me resolve this issue. I wish I knew of a way to stop the exhalation apnea so I could stop wearing the Bi-PAP. Other than this issue, I am very healthy and not overweight and I exercise on a regular basis. Has anyone else been able to resolve either an exhalation apnea problem or the problem with air going into their the stomach when using a machine? Otherwise, does anyone know of an ENT that will deal with these particular issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exhalation Apnea and air in the stomach
First, I would download a copy of ResScan so that you can follow the results of any changes. It can be downloaded for free from this site and can be found under the Private files and Links in the Private Area under the main Apnea Board Forum page. You need to be running windows for ResScan. The only reason that I am not recommending Sleepyhead is that I am not sure that it is ready for the Aircurve yet.

Next, I would turn down my inhalation pressure a little at a time and watch your results to ensure that nothing is going wacko. It might not take too much to reduce your aerophagia.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ryleigh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
i was also waking up to excruciating pain in my upper stomach, and thinking I had something GI related, I went to see a gastroenterologist.
When she heard I was a fairly new CPAP user, she told me about aerophagia, which is air going into the the esophagus and the stomach from the CPAP machine. 
She recommended elevating the head of my bed by about 7 inches. So far this has worked.  Dont-know Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2019, 05:58 AM)Pbuscemi Wrote: i was also waking up to excruciating pain in my upper stomach, and thinking I had something GI related, I went to see a gastroenterologist.
When she heard I was a fairly new CPAP user, she told me about aerophagia, which is air going into the the esophagus and the stomach from the CPAP machine. 
She recommended elevating the head of my bed by about 7 inches. So far this has worked.  Dont-know Dielaughing

This thread was last active in 2016, and we have not heard from the O.P. since then. There are many threads that pertain to aerophagia on the forum, and something more recent might be better for this.   Welcome to the forum, and glad you were able to resolve your aerophagia by elevating the bed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2019, 05:58 AM)Pbuscemi Wrote: She recommended elevating the head of my bed by about 7 inches. So far this has worked.

It may be that elevating your head makes your airway less likely to collapse. It seems you have a CPAP machine that auto-adjusts the pressure? If so, this would mean your pressure is not rising as high as it was before so you are swallowing less air.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 371 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 168 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 769 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,257 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 587 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 684 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 607 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.