Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exhalation "Issues"
Exhalation "Issues"
Hello all,

DME provided me with a Resmed 10 VAUTO to help with what I call exhalation issues...I have no problem with inhalation pressures, but have (with previous machine - Resmed S9 Auto) always felt like exhalation was forced and preventing me from relaxing.

Machine Settings

ModeCPAP Mode VPAPauto
Min EPAPLower Expiratory Pressure 6.00 cmH2O
Max IPAPHigher Inspiratory Pressure 14.00 cmH2O
PSPressure Support 4.00 cmH2O
Antibacterial FilterAntibacterial Filter No
Climate ControlClimate Control Manual
Humidifier StatusHumidifier Enabled Status On
Humidity LevelHumidity Level 4
MaskResMed Mask Setting Pillows
Patient AccessPatient Access Yes
RampRamp Enable Off
Smart StartMachine auto starts by breathing Off
TemperatureClimateLine Temperature 27 ºC
Temperature EnableClimateLine Temperature Enable 2

Anything out of the ordinary here?  I tried to post Sleepyhead screenshot but forum requires 4 posts so to be honest, I'm just trying to get some counted without wasting anyone's time as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exhalation "Issues"
I have the same machine, my pressures are higher than yours. Within a few days I could not tell that I was wearing a mask. You can post your reports to Imgur and post a link on your post. Just leave a blank after one of the letters. Not much that anyone can help with until you post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrantT - Welcome

I'm going to let someone with more experience tackle your Vauto settings.  
Posting images; You can break the image URL by adding a space in the address, such as "htt p://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to get your SleepyHead i\mages posted.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK...great.  Thanks for the posting suggestion.  Kinda "bypasses" the rules so didn't want to do an end-around.

Here's last night's data.  A little concerned about the # of CA events.  Very early on with new machine so may need to settle in some more as I have read as a suggestion on other posts.

http s://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0BxaO3i2KmR2jT2xvUnZmLXBhd3M
Post Reply Post Reply
The rules are to not spam and only post valid therapy data, so no problem.

Can you post a copy of your sleep studie(s).  And why do you have a BiPap?  Your machine is not typically given out for CPAP reasons.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have any sleep study to post (I'm sure one exists, but I never received it).  Here, you go to the docter complaining about headaches, sleep problems etc, then they send you to the respiratory place where they give you some box to connect to yourself while you sleep (numerous sensors etc), and then you return it.  They then provide you a machine at twice the price you can buy it online and say it includes "support".  I opted to not purchase from them, at which point you go buy your own machine.  I have a prescription that says "CPAP / BiPaP" on it...that's it.   They told me to set it up as it shows above.  It's not a great situation (brought on by my own unwillingness to pay their prices) but it is what it is.

After getting an original S9 Auto and using it some time, I kept having issues "exhaling" - like I was always pushing too hard breathing out.  The EPR on that machine did not provide relief and they suggested this machine instead for greater range.  Sorry, I probably have missed some (a lot?) of the terminology and reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would Change your EPAP from 6cm to 8 cm an drop your PS from 4 to 3.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I can do that easily enough...is there a reason/explanation as to why?  Just a good baseline type setting, or seeing something in particular?

Also, when I do make an adjustment, how long is generally accepted as time to adapt and settle in?
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason for the bump in EPAP is to deal with the H's and the reduction in PS to 3 is because it looks like a PS of 4 is causing you to have CA's due to CO2 being washed out by the high pressure Support. I'd give it a week to see how it settles down.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your explanation.  I'll adjust, and post back in a week or so!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 64 55 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 209 1 hour ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.