Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exhalation issues
Exhalation issues
Since I've been using CPAP I've found that I don't seem to exhale "all the way". I was using nasal pillows and now a DreamWear, so I'm always breathing through my nose. Every once in a while I feel like I'm bottled up and exhale through my mouth then feel like I get everything out. I have the C-Flex+ turned on so that's not the issue.

Does that make any sort of sense? Has anybody else experienced this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exhalation issues
What setting do you have the CFLEX plus set at, 1,2 or 3?
Experiment and try a different setting.

You should also check in the Provider menu and change your mask resistance setting, based on whether you are using a nasal pillow mask or nasal mask. The new Dreamwear is a nasal mask and should be set at X1.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 11:38 AM)OpalRose Wrote: What setting do you have the CFLEX plus set at, 1,2 or 3?
Experiment and try a different setting.

I have it set up on 3, I found that worked best for me.

Quote:You should also check in the Provider menu and change your mask resistance setting, based on whether you are using a nasal pillow mask or nasal mask. The new Dreamwear is a nasal mask and should be set at X1.

That's the "System One resistance" setting? It's currently set to 0 (which is off, I think). Would setting it to 1 provide more or less resistance? Also what should it have been set to when I was using the P10?
Post Reply Post Reply
I fought that feeling for quite some time. I had major issues exhaling into pressure that caused most of it in the beginning. Changed to BiLevel and found a new source called T1 & T2 settings on the machine. Once I got all these tuned that feeling went away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to the Phillips Respironics site, there is a Resistance Mask Control Chart there.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your tidal volume median in your sleepyhead charts. If it is in range for your ideal weight for your height, you have nothing to worry about.

The feeling you describe only happens if you are focusing on your breathing while falling asleep. And somehow, you try to exhale more forcefully than usual and you feel the pressure's resistance.

You can see your breathing waveform and flow rate for these breaths and you will typically find that your flow rate on these breaths is higher than your flow rate while asleep.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 12:39 PM)AshSF Wrote: Check your tidal volume median in your sleepyhead charts. If it is in range for your ideal weight for your height, you have nothing to worry about.

Where can I find a good source for determining what my range should be?

Sleepyhead shows that (depending on the night) anywhere from 540 to 600. Last night, for example, the minimum was 13, median was 560, 95% was 980 and maximum was 3633. That seems like kind of a large range but I don't know what those numbers mean. Dont-know

(11-13-2015, 12:31 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Go to the Phillips Respironics site, there is a Resistance Mask Control Chart there.

Thanks. I set it to x1, I'll see how I do tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
For tidal volume, focus on the median. The minimum and maximum are meaningless and can reflect an incomplete breath or large sigh. There is a great deal of variation, and yours appears to be quite normal. Overall tidal volume is generally reduced in sleep compared to waking respiration. This Wikipedia article is a fair explanation, and it call "normal" 500 mL, or 7 mL/kg ideal body mass: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...3XNGNOf4sw
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 01:09 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 12:39 PM)AshSF Wrote: Check your tidal volume median in your sleepyhead charts. If it is in range for your ideal weight for your height, you have nothing to worry about.

Where can I find a good source for determining what my range should be?

Sleepyhead shows that (depending on the night) anywhere from 540 to 600. Last night, for example, the minimum was 13, median was 560, 95% was 980 and maximum was 3633. That seems like kind of a large range but I don't know what those numbers mean. Dont-know

Median value is the only relevant value. 560 seems like a good tidal volume. You must be a tall person.

According to Wikipedia article on tidal volume, ideal TV for healthy individual is 7ml/kg of ideal weight.

You can google 'tidal volume calculation' and use the mdcalc site to calculate your values.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 03:41 PM)AshSF Wrote: Median value is the only relevant value. 560 seems like a good tidal volume. You must be a tall person.

Not really, I'm 5 foot 11 (and a half when I stand up straight).

Quote:You can google 'tidal volume calculation' and use the mdcalc site to calculate your values.

Using that calculator, based on my height and 7ml/kg of ideal weight for my height (which is not what I am) it said 535.1 ml. So I'm a little higher than that on most nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 172 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 518 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 226 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 361 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 131 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 164 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 132 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.