Exhausted and at my wits' end - please help!!!
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Exhausted and at my wits' end - please help!!!
G'day Duketheshepherd, welcome to Apnea Board.

Central apnea is quite a different beast from obstructive (though many people have both), and the VPAP Adapt is quite different from an ordinary CPAP or Autoset. With this in mind, there are a few things to be aware of, which might contradict what other members have contributed.

<This paragraph edited>Sleeping on your back or side does make a demonstrable difference in obstructive apnea. There is also evidence that it reduces the rate and severity of central apnea. http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/290808.pdf Unless you have back / hip problems, it can't hurt to sleep on your side and it is likely to help.</Edit>

Use the ramp if you find the pressure stops you getting to sleep. But keep the ramp time as short as possible. In my view the default setting of 45 minutes is excessive and if you need it that long, then there are other problems happening. During the ramp time just breathe slowly and evenly and the machine will match its pressure support to your breathing, helping you along without forcing the pace.

Pulling the mask off while you sleep is common, and is something all of us do at one time or another. It becomes a problem when it becomes habitual and you regularly lose therapy hours. You could try turning on the leak alert which will sound a loud beep if you take the mask off without shutting down the machine. (You can't use leak alert and smart start at the same time). However it's better to concentrate on the reasons you might be pulling it off, which is usually a discomfort caused by leaks, high pressures, uncomfortable mask & straps or getting tangled in the hose. If you have a bed partner he/she might notice if these things are happening, and also give you a nudge if they notice you're sleeping without the mask.

Your maximum pressure is 19, not 12 as mentioned above. This is because the base exhalation pressure has pressure support added to give you the inhalation pressure (IP = EP + PS). So your exhalation pressure will vary between 6 and 12, and your inhalation pressure will vary between (6+2) = 8 and (12+7) = 19. That maximum is getting pretty high and if your machine is actually getting up there, that might disturb your sleep. High pressures can also cause high leaks which (even if the machine shows a smiley face) can interrupt your therapy and disturb your sleep.

For these reasons, I would urge you to get hold of either ResScan or Sleepyhead software to monitor exactly what's happening. Link to SleepyHead: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ I prefer SleepyHead over ResScan, and there is a very good instruction thread in the stickies in this forum. With the software, you will be able to identify the pressure ranges the machine is actually using, any large leaks, and the time and circumstances of apneas and hypopneas. Then you can fine tune things to get the maximum benefit out of your machine. The VPAP Adapt is a remarkable device which can give truly amazing results, once you've got everything properly set up.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2015 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Sex: Female

DB is one of our "central" sources of info!
Ditto what he says.
06-13-2015 10:59 PM
Duketheshepherd Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed
Mask Make & Model: Wisp
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Thanks, everyone. Just to update, I slept on my side last night, and my AHI was 1.5.

Why didn't my doc or respiratory therapist tell me about this???

I appreciate all the help very much.
06-14-2015 04:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Sex: Male

(06-14-2015 04:00 PM)Duketheshepherd Wrote:  Thanks, everyone. Just to update, I slept on my side last night, and my AHI was 1.5.

Why didn't my doc or respiratory therapist tell me about this???

I appreciate all the help very much.

Just be happy you found this place Wink

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
06-14-2015 04:22 PM
kally Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

well that is good news.
06-14-2015 04:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  At wits end. AHI Varies SO SO much, your thoughts?? Daisylouu 9 487 10-13-2016 02:45 PM
Last Post: rkl122
  1 Month into CPAP - Still Exhausted. What Data to Post? IMSleeplessInSeattle 21 1,207 10-01-2016 12:40 PM
Last Post: TomfromTexas
  Still exhausted with low AHI napnaptime 34 3,717 01-29-2016 11:05 AM
Last Post: napnaptime
Question Still Exhausted jhurlbut 7 1,077 12-15-2015 01:15 AM
Last Post: jhurlbut
  Still exhausted with 2-3 AHI - chart attached aavenger 4 882 10-25-2015 02:42 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Two months compliant, still exhausted.. Gabby 40 7,955 04-23-2015 04:44 PM
Last Post: Gabby
  Help, I'm still Exhausted Daso 5 2,091 04-16-2015 12:55 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse