Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exhausted / have leak rate of 28.1
RE: Exhausted / have leak rate of 28.1
Took some digging but above is what I have.

The gaps are where I changed to the Res Master Auto A-flex M series machine because I thought the RS9 was malfunctioning.
Post Reply Post Reply
your leak is not significant unless it is disturbing your sleep.  is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it is.

I see a change in pressure and time in apenas starting in December.

I changed to my backup machine because the RS9 seemed to be blowing very hard - to the point of uncomfortable.

Symptoms: Do not feel rested when I wake up. I'm tired in the early afternoon. Dozing off earlier than normal at bedtime. Feels much like the symptoms that caused me to go for a check up in the first place 3+ years ago. My heartbeat feels faster in the morning as well.

I sleep about 7 hours. I wake up two or three times a night for 5 mins max. Sometimes just a minute or so. Ocassionaly - say once a month I can't get back to sleep and take 5 mg of diazepam.

Occasionally I take a antihistamine sleep aid. Average 1.5 times a week (let's say)

What I mean by terrible is my thinking is cloudy and I'm sluggish.

Had a Total Knee Replacement (Left knee) on July 12th. Took pains meds as prescribed for two weeks and then only as needed - which meant a pill before physical therapy and pill to sleep at night. After the first 6 weeks I took no pain medication during the day. The next three weeks I took pain meds nightly, the next 3 weeks I decrease the weekly nighttime meds to the point of after 3 month taking no pain medication at all.

The next TKR was on October 4 (right knee). Same routine. I have not take a pain pill to sleep at night for more or less two months. I drink maybe once a month and we are talking a beer and a shot of tequila. in the last two month I have probally taken 6 5-mg doses of diazepam. 

What I mean by panicky is that going through 2 TKRs in the last 8 months which includes PT, and still in the gym 3 - 4 times a week regaining quad mass, the thought of now dealing with sleep apnea symptoms as before makes me nervous.

I'm a single dad with a ton of things to do and the two TKR's have been very tough. Thank God for the friends and family help I received. But I am now starting to feel normal knee wise - and now the sleep symptoms! It's concerns me. Also I live in Costa Rica and that means returning to the states to see a doc for sleep issues - I spent four months in a friends second home in the US pretty much by myself and I really don't want to leave my home again. That is why I'd love to find a solution here online.

Thanks for you help...
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, let's try to adjust your comfort, 1 change at a time.

First let's even out the pressures that you are seeing.  Lets set your min to 12 cmH20.  That is just above your nightly lows.  Yes it is a big change.  If that is an issue add a ramp of 5-10 minutes starting at 6 cmH2O
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. Now a big question. Should I go back to using the RES Med S9 because I can get data from it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel for you aconcepts. Hang in there and perseverance with the sleep issues. Bonjour and the other experienced people here will definitely help you out. I wish you a quick recovery from the knee surgeries. Two replacements in 8 months! Man....
Post Reply Post Reply
Please we need data to make changes

BTW partial knee replacement 9 days ago.

I definitely understand that part.
Post Reply Post Reply
aconcepts, I have read this thread and viewed your data. Your treatment does not seem so bad, but your pressure range starting at a pressure of 4 and an average therapy pressure of 11 stands out as a potential problem. I encourage you to increase your minimum pressure to 10, and see if tht helps. Fortunately the Resmed machine does pretty good at increasing pressures form below the effective therapy level, but you really should increase the minimum to give it a head-start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aconcepts,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
To answer your question, Yes, go back to the Resmed machine to get the data.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting your pressure dialed in to better meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all - thanks for the help - I am collecting info on my machine and will post it soon.

The adjustment on the lower pressure setting has seemed to help. I have felt more rested since the adjustment.

Last night I woke up to the sound of air coming out my mouth accompanied with dry mouth. So I taped. That was interesting! Still felt bubbling/ air trying  to escape.

I was wondering about the resistance/ air pressure and if that is why I am opening my mouth. If so, can it be adjusted?

I use to be a mouth breather before using the machine. Then I stopped mouth breathing afterwards.

I've become curious about what the Sleepyhead charts mean. Is there a tutorial about interpreting the charts and data?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 0 38 4 hours ago
Last Post: alwaystired17
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.