Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exhausted / have leak rate of 28.1
RE: Exhausted / have leak rate of 28.1
Yep.  The beginners guide in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Marillion for the advice.

So after reading the beginner's guide regarding leak rate I have come to the conclusions:

RS 9 defines large leak as 24 L/min

I was in Large Leak territory approximately 11% of the night. Acceptable is supposedly 30%. Better in 20%.

I did notice that the previous 6 month's time spent in Large Leak territory was under 1%. I wonder what changed/why?

Next I going to look into the EPR feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice job so far but I think that you need to find some way to reduce the large leaks. Resmed says up to 30% large leaks is OK but most of us feel that it needs to be lower. For one thing the large leaks may affect the performance of the machine. Secondly, the large leaks may result in awakenings that do not completely wake you up but may keep you from getting to the most restful stages of sleep.

If taping does not remedy the mouth leaks, then I think that it is doubtful that a chin strap will be of much help. I am going to suggest that you look into a full face mask or maybe the Amara View.

I know that it does not seem right that you should suddenly have a problem with mouth leaks. I was doing fine without a chinstrap until I started getting treatment for cancer. Since then I have to use a chinstrap all the time. I don't like it but that is the way it is.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - My time in large leas have escalated from under 1% to 11%.

Lets see what this current week's data says.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Payton - thanks for you advice. I have been taping now.

I became convinced the mouth breathing was the issue when the sound of air whizzing through my lips woke me up. So now I tape. First two nights were weird. Its been several more night now, and the last couple nights have been better. It's amazing what one will do for a good-night's sleep.

I have not tried taping and using the S9 machine. I wanted to wait until I felt good and rested.

I think tonight I'll tape and go back to the S9 and see what happens.

Anyways its really nice to have board members here in support of sleep issues. Thank Payton and thanks to all who participate.

Saludos - AC
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option instead of taping (which is something I refuse to do) is to look into a chin strap that helps with the air getting past your lips. Google "Ultimate Chin Strap." Or as suggested above you can go with a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marillion - Do full face masks create a dry mouth? I was thinking about giving them a try. Seems like a lot to have on the face - and do they leak much as you turn at night. I'm up for trying one. I saw the ultimate chin strap. Do you use one? How was it? Did you get good results? - AC
Post Reply Post Reply
You can indeed still get a dry mouth with a full face mask but the only benefit is that your therapy stays effective even if your mouth drops open. They do tend to leak easier and are trickier to fit since there is much more area to cover where the potential exists of not fitting exactly to all the contours of your face, ergo more leak potential.

The Ultimate Chin strap is something I did a fair bit of reading on but I have not used it...yet. I have ordered one recently a couple of days ago but have not received info yet that it has shipped. It will likely take about 7-10 days to get to me in Canada. I ordered one since I occasionally get air leaking out of my lips, even with the use of my current chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask but also a soft cervical collar to prevent my jaw from dropping too much. without something to prevent my jaw from dropping I frequently get large leaks at the bottom of the mouth seal. You may not have this problem but it is a possibility. When I prevent that my average leak rate with the full face mask is close to 0.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marillion - Did you get the UCS that covers your mouth? I like my nasal pillows, but I'd give a FFM a try though. Do you use a FFM now?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 0 39 4 hours ago
Last Post: alwaystired17
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.