Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exp time vs. insp time
RE: Exp time vs. insp time
Fred beat me to it. That image is not the 2-minute interval I asked for . Keep zooming.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2019, 03:31 AM)mesenteria Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:23 AM)dizzny Wrote: ... Also, I've had issues with the straps on my mask causing headaches, so with the loosening of the straps comes more air leakage.

I worry about two messages, or conclusions which seem to follow necessarily from the quoted text:

Your straps are too tight; and/or

You are wearing an unsuitable headgear for your particular head.

Firstly, you will get more, not fewer, leaks with headgear that is over-tightened.  You should be able to lift the cushion off of your face by just enough to break contact and to cause a gross leak.

Secondly, I think the location and construction of the headgear around your cranium and facial bones may be the cause of discomfort as much as, or more than, the tightness of the strapping.  We're all built a bit uniquely, and there's a wide variety of configurations for the headgear.  I wonder if you shouldn't go back to the proverbial drawing board and test out several different masks...overnight.  There is such a thing as 'pressing my nerve', or pressure points, and I'm beginning to suspect the general precursor to leaks in your case isn't necessarily tightness and poor fit so much as discomfort from the headgear that causes you to move or to struggle with sleeping well.  Agitation can cause deflection and deformation of the cushion.  Ergo, leaks.

I may have missed it by a mile, but I thought I would pipe up in case it is useful somehow.

No, you are pretty much spot on. I'm aware of what you mentioned and it's not too tight on my head, but it does seem hit the trigger points with the straps. I've been using a skullcap/beanie with the CPAP  and that provides much relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2019, 07:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Fred beat me to it.  That image is not the 2-minute interval I asked for . Keep zooming.

Hopefully this is better.
Post Reply Post Reply
This snapshot of time looks like an aroussal. It seems to refute the I:E ratio in the statistics, but also is a much higher respiration rate than the median.  The amount of time included is what we are looking for, but this does not look like sleep to me.  If this is typical of sleep, then we see expiratory snores that would be improved with higher minimum pressure or less EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I believe I was in sleep mode at the time, but I've attached two more that show some irregularity I think. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you have some flow limitation present that might respond better to higher minimum pressure. Both of the examples posted are near the minimum pressure setting and show flow limits. Your highest pressure is less than 8.5 based on 5.8 to 12 range with EPR at 3. I recommend you change minimum pressure to 7.0. This will result in a pressure of 7.0/4.0 minimum, but if higher pressure is needed based on the Autoset algorithm, your IPAP and EPAP will move in unison rather than leaving your EPAP mired at 4.0. Give it a try and let us know if it feels better or worse.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, I will give it a try and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting back to the original post, i.e. Exp Time vs Insp Time, I had the same issue as the original poster.

I can't tweak EPR since my Dreamstation doesn't support that. But I can, and did, change something similar. I reduced my A-FLEX setting from 3 down to 1.

To my surprise (but probably not to the surprise of some of the senior people here), just that simple change, without adjusting pressure, was enough that now

Insp. time < Exp. Time

I will let this change settle for a while before further tweaking. But I think that maybe turning off A-FLEX entirely on my Dreamstation will be better for me (I don't think I will have problems exhaling against the resulting higher pressure during exhalation).

Right now my min pressure is 9.5, but the A-FLEX drops it to 8.0 during exhalation. After I turn off A-FLEX I may be able to drop min pressure to 9.0 or even 8.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, no change in my numbers or how I feel with the increase in pressure to 7. Any other suggestions or ideas? Here's the latest chart.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.