Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Expected headstrap life?
Expected headstrap life?
I am sort of a new CPAP user. I was diagnosed in early January, and got my equipment at the end of January.

My question is about how long head straps last. Mine is a Phillips Resperonics nasal pillow Nuance Pro. In less than three months, the fabric on the headstrap, particularly around the ears area, is delaminating from the neoprene, and losing its stretchy-ness, and has become sticky. I just re-ordered a new one today from Kaiser. The mask itself has two silicone cheek pads, the right cheek pad fell out after one month, the left popped out after two addition weeks. I cleaned them weekly with liquid Dawn and warm water until they started falling apart, now I take them in the shower and use shampoo. I haven't replaced the mask portion yet, the cheek pads don't seem the bother me one way or the other.

For the last month, I took the headstrap from my full face mask that I have and can't stand using, but it is uncomfortable to use and was just a band-aid. My leakage was higher with the jury-rigged strap, and it was harder to put on and keep on, and to stop the leakage I would pull it tighter, which created painful pressure points on my nose and collapsed the nasal pillows, so I had to constantly fiddle with them.

Other than that, I love my CPAP system. During my sleep test my AHI was 92, now it is 1.3. Last night is was 0.6. I wish I had been diagnosed 40 years ago. I'm 54, have snored loudly since puberty, and as I gained weight in my early 20's, I got severe headaches at night and during the day and struggled with staying awake. I worked shift work in the grocery industry, and thought I was always tired because of the hours I worked. I doubled in size, and luckily my doctor prescribed an at home sleep test. I never knew a good night sleep was this easy to have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Expected headstrap life?
Hi Trout, welcome to the board.

The difficulties with your mask have been reported by others. I believe they have made changes to the thing as a result, so hopefully your replacement will not have this issue in the future.

It sounds like you're doing great!

Go Ducks!
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME wants me to replace my mask every 3 months. "To prevent infections". I'm starting to get problems with the cheek pads degrading on the headgear.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Troutnut,
I've seen previous posts on your nasal pillow mask problem. Some users reported switching to the Nuance rather than the Pro model to get away from the silicon breakdown.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 10:34 AM)Troutnut Wrote: I am sort of a new CPAP user. I was diagnosed in early January, and got my equipment at the end of January.

My question is about how long head straps last. Mine is a Phillips Resperonics nasal pillow Nuance Pro. In less than three months, the fabric on the headstrap, particularly around the ears area, is delaminating from the neoprene, and losing its stretchy-ness, and has become sticky. I just re-ordered a new one today from Kaiser. The mask itself has two silicone cheek pads, the right cheek pad fell out after one month, the left popped out after two addition weeks. I cleaned them weekly with liquid Dawn and warm water until they started falling apart, now I take them in the shower and use shampoo. I haven't replaced the mask portion yet, the cheek pads don't seem the bother me one way or the other.

In addition to what others have said several online sellers have recommended not using Dawn, instead use something like Palmolive . Dawn sometimes reacts with certain types of silicone is what they say. I'm a newbie so don't really know what to say about longevity of masks , Medicare allows you to get a new one every six months . I suppose they stretch over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a different type mask: Ultra Mirage Full Face that uses standard four point headgear with Velcro tabs. I had no problems with durability until I started washing my headgear. The Velcro wore out big time. Unless you have open sores and wounds on your head, quit washing it. There's no danger. The DME wants to sell more product.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Troutnut,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with finding a mask that works right for you, and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,255 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 622 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 955 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,300 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.