Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Experience with Provent?
Experience with Provent?
I was just reading about Provent, an alternative to traditional CPAP machines. I'm curious if anyone here has experience using it?
"The device contains two pinhole-size valves, one over each nostril. The valves let air in easily ... but there is resistance as the user exhales. That resistance creates a backpressure in the airways, dilating the muscles that would otherwise collapse." (New York Times 4/9/12)
EmilySleeps
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Experience with Provent?
That looked quite interesting and like snake oil all at the same time. I sent them an email asking if they had any free samples. I'll try anything at least once.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
in our review forum:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...st-results (although if I remember correctly, it gets a little off topic about the research)

But the best review I've seen is by Lanky Lefty on YouTube. He's a sleep tech who reviews masks, machines, etc and talks about how they work, fit, etc. He doesn't often talk about stuff that is crap. But he did talk about Provent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5LZbEx7CWI

If I remember correctly, the original Provent went belly up then was bought out by someone else. For those very few people that used the product, they were in a panic for a few weeks as they wondered where they would get their next supply.

My biggest concern with Provent, as with the dental devices, is there is no way to determine if it is working other than an oximeter. And an oximeter won't tell you what kind of events you are having, just that your blood oxygen levels dropped. With a device such as Provent, I would be concerned about increased central events. But that's just my opinion.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a note here, I did email asking for samples. I was told there are no free samples, but they recommend the 1 month starter kit. Frankly, I think a low cost product like this that will need to be constantly replaced is the perfect product to be giving away a 1 month free trial kit of. If it was my product, and it really did work I would not hesitate to give someone a 1 month free trial kit to get them to use my product. That's just my 2 cents worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
if something sounds too good to be true, it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly I don't know if it sounds too good to be true, or looked to good to be true. They actually looked kind of weird, and potentially irritating, but it would have been interesting to have tried it.

And just remember; All generalizations are false. (even this one) Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems fishy. Seems to miss the target completely.

It creates EPAP (which it does not regulate the way XPAP does) due to less pressure release than normal (restricts your exhalation). But I am not understanding how that is helpful. It might hold the airway open better when you EXHALE, but nothing here holds the airway open better when you INHALE.

OSA is a problem with inhalation, preventing oxygenation due to a physical obstruction to INHALING. The bottom line to the whole mechanism of breathing is getting oxygen INTO your bloodstream. Who would really care about restricting exhalation, other than a company that can fool folks who might not take the time to think this through (the lifeblood of the advertising business) into thinking that might be important when it absolutely is not? Sure, you need to exhale, but this seems to restrict it instead of aiding it, and exhalation is pretty far from the chief issue in OSA.

So since it has no effect on removing obstructions to inhalation, what possible good is it as a remedy for OSA? If it only restricts EPAP, about the only effect it might have is causing you to not be able to void C02 as well as you should, maybe even causing you to rebreathe it, which is seldom a good idea. That does not sound like a step in the right direction for OSA patients.

Maybe it would help a snorer, but in my experience snoring happens on inhalation much more than on exhalation.

There are also no Bi-level or auto PAP technologies that apply zero IPAP and then apply EPAP pressure just on exhalation, because that would be the opposite of what the therapy calls for, and would make very little practical sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way it works is to create pressure in the airway, whether during inhalation or exhalation it accomplishes the same thing, to keep the airway pressurized thereby not allowing it to collapse. Think of it this way, it doesn't matter how you pressurize the straw or from which direction, just so long as it remains pressurized. I am not saying they work I am just saying that is what they are purported to do.

I just felt it would have been nice to test them, and as so many manufacturers and drug companies are now giving away free samples one would think this would be a perfect product to give away free samples of.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a review of the Provent sham here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5LZbEx7CWI

His conclusion: "it's a ripoff"
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2015, 06:33 PM)Galactus Wrote: The way it works is to create pressure in the airway, whether during inhalation or exhalation it accomplishes the same thing, to keep the airway pressurized thereby not allowing it to collapse. Think of it this way, it doesn't matter how you pressurize the straw or from which direction, just so long as it remains pressurized. I am not saying they work I am just saying that is what they are purported to do.

I just felt it would have been nice to test them, and as so many manufacturers and drug companies are now giving away free samples one would think this would be a perfect product to give away free samples of.

The Sleep Apnea industry Worldwide is huge and growing. Every man and his dog wants to get a piece of the action, even if it involves marketing something that looks good with a glossy brochure.

They will sell enough to the curious to make a lot of money even if it doesn't work. Then people will simply conclude it "didn't work for me" rather than it just doesnt work at all.

There are no free samples for that very reason. They don't want to be found out too soon before the gravy train stops. While they get good sales there will always be a % of people who will "try" it and keep sales going.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 543 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,449 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,339 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 511 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,011 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.